Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

I've always thought dense townhouses and apartments overlooking the park would be a nice replacement there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
OK so its not "technically" downtown.. which I believe begins at Laurel Street, but its certainly within the Central Business District/ City Center. That being said I am certain the folks living there may still frequent downtown.. but they will not be your typical "homeless" resident because that will have temporary housing and surrounded by supportive services.
Maybe the transition center will not be full of "typical homeless", but perception IS reality to many people. Any city with a fledgling / fragile Main Street, trying hard to attract more shoppers and needing to bring in residents from the burbs to spend money, the words "homeless shelter / transition center" bring up thoughts of a "reality" most suburbanites don't want any part of. Especially a city having a history of homeless issues along its Main Street.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
GS

While I would like to disagree with you on this issue for any number of reasons, as some will, you are right.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 PM

I see it as the community just taking the bull by the horns. Columbia, downtown and all, will be fine. My partner and I were in the Vista tonight. We walked a block from where we parked, to the restaurant we went to. Three homeless guys were walking in front of us and one had a conversation with a fourth homeless person across the street by yelling. They talked about where they would meet up later, and it wasn't indoors anywhere. One of the homeless guys we were walking behind made a loud train engine sound a couple of times on the bridge we were crossing because a train was passing underneath. And at the end of the bridge they went left and we went straight and crossed the street to the restaurant, and everyone was happy. And the Vista isn't hurting judging by the scarcity of parking spaces and the music filling the streets from several different restaurants tonight on Lady Street. And it's only Tuesday.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 06-14-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
The fact that there ARE homeless people is certainly a tragedy, but some people will come up with any excuse necessary if they are out of their comfort zone. I've lived in the city my entire life and homeless people are a fact of life. I've never felt threatened by them, although it is annoying to be asked for money. I offer to buy them food, but will never give money. I never carry cash anyway.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 AM

257 posts, read 327,641 times
The Transitions center will not be the death knell for Main Street. It's out of sight from the center of the commercial area of Main; you can't even see it from the block that Mast General is on. Out of sight, out of mind. The only suburbanites that will be deterred are those who probably wouldn't visit Main anyway. Judging from the activity that Mast General is producing, the center isn't preventing a whole lot of people from coming to Main.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM

I didn't realize until this morning that Ben Arnold has already started renovating the building at Main and Lady into studio condos/apartments. It's a four- to six- story building - somewhere thereabouts. He's going to put in two retail spaces fronting Lady Street as part of the project. Next to the building, also on Lady, there is an attractive two-story building for sale with retail space on the ground floor. It needs no refurbishing.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Fifty-one new residences are coming to Lady Street at Main. Chick-fil-A fronts Main on the ground floor of the building.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Fifty-one new residences are coming to Lady Street at Main. Chick-fil-A fronts Main on the ground floor of the building.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Wow.. seems like things are picking up. I thought that this development was like a "condo hotel" where you could buy a unit and rent it out??? I guess it didnt work out.. but Arnold must have bought everyone out because I though a few had sold under that model. A couple were decorated with USC colors and paraphernalia and rented for games...

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,208 times
Default re: Old Rhodeway Inn Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I didn't realize until this morning that Ben Arnold has already started renovating the building at Main and Lady into studio condos/apartments. It's a four- to six- story building - somewhere thereabouts. He's going to put in two retail spaces fronting Lady Street as part of the project. Next to the building, also on Lady, there is an attractive two-story building for sale with retail space on the ground floor. It needs no refurbishing.
Personally I think this project isn't getting enough play in the local press, this is much more of a game changer then Mast. The more people who live on Main the better and this will get the numbers higher. The paper published a total of residential units on Main and I forgot the number but something in the ballpark of 400, this plus the apartments planned on top of Mast will take it over 500 which is significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area