Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 PM

12,801 posts, read 18,629,206 times

Advertisements

No one hangs out on Wall Street at night. There's Soho, Greenwich Village, etc. Just making a point. Also, I still can't stand the name "Main Street."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:22 AM

And talk about some good eatin'. Anyone who hasn't been, go.

Mac's on Main's Chef Fatback Wins Top Prize in 2011 Palmetto Palate Contest | wltx.com

Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

8,180 posts, read 13,256,628 times
I had a good conversation with an urban planner friend of mine and his comments on Columbia's downtown tend to ring true. As others have said downtown Columbia or the CBD has nodes of activities that are not well connnected on the pedestrian scale. Things like parking lots, wide streets, lack of street trees, no groundfloor activity..in sections of the CBD keep it from being pedestrian friendly. .not some much in the nodes themselves but in the connection between the nodes (i.e. downtown to the Vista). Better streetscaping, wayfinding signage at the pedestrian level, and of course more groundfloor activity help connect areas and keeps the pedestrian walking.. When they get to a gap or an "dead zone" most pedestrian stop and turn around thinking they have reached the "end" of their experience or even their comfort level if they are not familiar with the district.

So, I believe that underscores what others have said in terms of the Linkages.. I think the City realizes that and is working on those issues.. The new garage plans to have groundfloor retail and better linkages/walkways to connect it with Main Street...So I believe these issues, in time, will work themselves out. The pedestrian linkages to the Vista and USC are doable... Five Points certainly is not in the cards for a direct downtown pedestrian experience (via Gervais).. but via USC it can be a more viable trek utilizing the State House Grounds and an improved "south main".

Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 AM

The Charleston company that bought the three-story McCrory's building catty-cornered from Mast General at Main and Taylor will be going before the architectural review board next month for approval of exterior renovations.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,827,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I posted earlier, not to suggest that Columbia's downtown should try to become a replica of Greenville's downtown, but rather to suggest that Columbia can learn some lessons from Greenville. I strongly believe this is true. IMHO, Greenville's downtown is nicer and more inviting than Columbia's. I intentionally used the word inviting because Greenville's downtown has been developed in such a way that it draws people in. It is that attribute that I believe Columbia's downtown is lacking. And, it is that lesson that Columbia can learn from Greenville's downtown development.

Obviously, Columbia's downtown is larger than Greenville's downtown. It is also obvious that it has different challenges. Several people have used the term "larger footprint" to describe Columbia's downtown compared to Greenville's. Yet, I do not think that this larger footprint explains why Columbia's downtown lacks an inviting feel. I am reminded that there are much larger cities, with much larger footprints than Columbia's, yet their downtowns are still inviting. Here, I am not expressing hate; rather, I am providing constructive criticism on what I think Columbia needs to take into consideration as the footprint gets further planned and developed.

Clearly, I am a Columbia resident. I know that some have speculated on why they feel that Columbia residents are harder on the city than non-Columbia residents. I cannot speculate on this issue because I think that such speculation is too presumptuous. I would imagine that there are mulitple reasons why some critique Columbia - and, I am certain these reasons do not fall neatly into a few categories. In short, I do not know why others are critical of Columbia. I do, however, know what motivates my comments.

I am not from SC, and was educated outside of the state of SC. Thus, my comments are not motivated by a hatred toward the University of South Carolina, nor a Carolina/Clemson rivalry. SC is politically and socially conservative, and Columbia is no exception. I knew that when I moved here. Thus, that does not motivate my comments. Could it be that I need to open my mind? Well, I did suggest that we cannot easily lump people's criticism of Columbia into nice, neat categories. This, IMO, exemplifies open-mindedness. A lack of open-mindedness does not motivate my comments.

So, what does motivate my "constructive" criticism? The answer is very simple. It is a desire to see Columbia improve its downtown in a way that draws people in.
Very good post. Very honest.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Stay tuned. The BIG downtown will highly impress.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Here's this month's newsletter by City Center Partnership with a list of announcements about commerce and August events.

What's Happening Downtown in August

Old 08-02-2011, 04:35 AM

An Italian Ice and organic frozen custard eatery will soon open on Main a half-block from Mast General. Paradise Ice plans to open within weeks. Mast General and the street's new energy attracted the business.

Paradise Ice eatery is on the way - Shop Around - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/02/1919473/paradise-ice-eatery-is-on-the.html - broken link)

Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 AM

8,180 posts, read 13,256,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
An Italian Ice and organic frozen custard eatery will soon open on Main a half-block from Mast General. Paradise Ice plans to open within weeks. Mast General and the street's new energy attracted the business.

Paradise Ice eatery is on the way - Shop Around - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/02/1919473/paradise-ice-eatery-is-on-the.html - broken link)

Snowball effect... keeps rolling. In economics I believe the term is agglomeration economies or "clustering effect" where things tend to feed off of one another..

Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM

First Thursday on Main is snowballing with the collaboration of some strong players.

Free Times: Arts Feature - Main Street Arts Corridor Heats Up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area