Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

Palmetto Center dorm nears reality - Local / Metro - TheState.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,153 times
How much off campus housing do they need? I had lunch with a guy that said a developer is looking at building some student housing in the Huger Street corridor.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 AM

12,914 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Don't freshmen have to live on campus? It seems that private dorms would include older students, even older than typical graduating age. I know when I went to USC after a years-long hiatus from college, I lived in a dorm for a single person on the 12th floor of the Wade Hampton. I was 25. It was amazing. It was on the corner overlooking Main Street. I arrived in Columbia not knowing where I would be living, stressed out. I went to student housing to see if they had anything for older students and walked right into a deal too good to be true that fit my budget. Also, as I understand it the developer has said it won't be a USC dorm but a private dorm for students of any college.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Doesnt USC have like 30,000 student? I cant imagine that they all can stay on campus. I dont even know if the 30,000 includes part time students. Then you have Benedict College, Allen University, and Columbia College.. so once you factor in those that may live off of those campuses.. though may be a small number. I can see where the demand would be there. Some parents may want their child in a secure building close to campus as opposed to out on Bluff Road or even in a single family home in a neighborhood. From the Palmetto Building they can certainly walk to USC, amenities.. or take a bus or drive to Benedict not to mention Allen and Cola College.

It will be a rather large highrise apt building... I cant say I would do cartwheels for the project.(though its better than a vacant downtown highrise). I would rather have it be mixed use or have them build a free standing..though smaller apartment building say on Washington and Assembly that could be 10 stories or so with ground floor retail as opposed to this conversion. It would fill out the Main Street district a little more and provide a better urban fabric.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM

City Council gave unanimous approval on first reading.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
How much off campus housing do they need? I had lunch with a guy that said a developer is looking at building some student housing in the Huger Street corridor.
USC's student population has grown by about 4,000 in the last few years and it seems that the number of on-campus beds are pretty static.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 AM

It was on the news a few weeks ago that freshmen get priority in housing and that upperclassmen are being booted off campus.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM

This may be a good thing for town and gown neighborhoods around the school. Maybe it will absorb some of the off campus population and put less rental housing pressur on neighborhoods.. thus opening the potential that they will return to home ownership? I have to admit I dont know if USC has town and gown issues anymore since most of the real estate adjacent to campus is either way too expensive for student housing (Shandon, Wheeler Hill, sections of Rosewood) or is blighted and students offer the first opportunty for redevelopment .... as in King Park and parts of Waverly.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Also, I've been thinking about some people's opinion that 800 students will change the CBD's character. It's up to the CBD to continue to draw people at night in numbers that far outnumber 800 college-age residents. With the Nick, new restaurants and arts centers, that should happen.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 PM

18 posts, read 62,295 times
Is Main St near Gervais St a reasonable place for adult professionals to live? Is it full of noisy students at night or is it relatively peaceful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area