Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 AM

12,877 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

The architectural design board gave final approval yesterday to The Hub (private dorms in the SCANA tower), but they will work with the developers on the color scheme of the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
How awesome. With all the events that have been taking place downtown, the new restaurants, department stores, the Nick, etc... an office tower would be the pinnacle, the cherry on top of what I'd otherwise call the Golden Age of Main street. Everything is happening so fast its hard to keep up.

Reminds me of when I was in Greenville in the late 90's and Main Street/downtown just took off before your eyes. So exciting.
I'd suspect that if a new spec tower were to be built, it probably wouldn't be over 20 stories. I don't think Columbia's skyline is going to get much taller but it will certainly get denser.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't want a new tallest tower to be any more than about 33 floors. One tower sticking up out of proportion would look odd. Also, I love density. I got over tall buildings for tallness's a long time ago.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd suspect that if a new spec tower were to be built, it probably wouldn't be over 20 stories. I don't think Columbia's skyline is going to get much taller but it will certainly get denser.
I think 20 stories is a good size for Columbia. I don't see it happening this year but, with the vacancy rate dropping while rents are rising, it is not out of the question. I would not mind seeing a development with 2 12-15 story buldings. Maybe one for office and one for hotel/apartments.

There is a lot of development in and around the city. With Carolina's expansion plans, new performing venues, aprartments, student housing and other developments, the center city will have a denser feel to it. More retail is not far behind.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I wouldn't want a new tallest tower to be any more than about 33 floors. One tower sticking up out of proportion would look odd. Also, I love density. I got over tall buildings for tallness's a long time ago.
I'd say nothing more than 200 ft taller than the current tallest, which would put it at 549 ft at the most.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. Id still be pretty pleased to see 20 stories (~300 ft.) I think it'd fit nicely with what we already have. Over the years I've certainly come to fancy a denser skyline since that is what Columbia has seemed to have done.

I dont think it's out of the question to see Columbia progressively grow taller, say, a few more 300-350 footers and then that 400-500 foot tall "signature" tower. I agree with Columbiadata, if you get one really tall tower (look at Mobile, Alabama), then it looks funny. If I had a say, I'd like to see us build more dense, but with a steady continuation of taller buildings.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Uncle Maddio's Pizza Joint is coming soon to the ground floor of Adesso. Other eateries have come and gone there. It seems that this would make it if they serve good pizza. And I think they do.

Locations - Uncle Maddio's Pizza Joint

Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Uncle Maddio's Pizza Joint is coming soon to the ground floor of Adesso. Other eateries have come and gone there. It seems that this would make it if they serve good pizza. And I think they do.

Locations - Uncle Maddio's Pizza Joint
I like the fact they have whole wheat pizza - it looks reasonably healthy for a pizza place, which I've missed since Zpizza moved out to the Summit.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Default More downtown Apartments

Sorry if this is duplicative.. but it looks like 200 more units.. this time in Olympia by the mill

200-unit apartment complex planned for Olympia - Business - TheState.com

Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Default More Information on Granby/Olympia Apartment Complex

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

I am pleasantly surprised that the neighborhood supports this.. So many one bedrooms leaves the development forever a "dorm" or student housing. The other student housing developments proposed in the Vista and downtown/main Street are in commercial or mixed use districts....so it doesnt really matter. This one is close to a single family neighborhood. I wonder what the unit mix is in the old Mill? Seems like there would be more two bedrooms in there as opposed to ones since the mill is such a large development.

The other question that wasnt addressed in the article is.. where is the parking? not only for the new development.. but they are taking out an existing parking lot.. I am sure they will work it out.. but that, Im sure, would be a red flag to the neighborhood if they would be fearful of people taking up all of the on street in this area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area