U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,108 times

Advertisements

Our family will be moving to the greater Columbia area this July. My husband will work at Shaw AFB. After looking at info on different towns/neighborhoods arround Columbia, I have narrowed my search to the Forest Acres and Rosewood areas. Can anyone give me more info on what these neighborhoods are like: crime, family life, traffic, schools, etc. We would like to rent a house rather than buying.

We have a small daughter that will attend preschool. We are fairly active, and would like to live somewhere safe/quiet enough for family walks and bike rides. We like the ambiance of older, more established neighborhoods, and I really want a home with wood floors (allergies). Ideally we would love to be able to ride bikes to the market, bakery, etc. rather than using the car all day. Any info on a natural food market is also appreciated.

I am sad that my husband will have such a long daily communte, but he assures me that he would rather live in a larger town as compared to Sumter, or others closer to Shaw AFB. He would like to learn where he can find stores carrying Belgian beer-priority for sure

We will also be bringing our dog and cat along. Can anyone recommend a good veterinarian in the area. I have a lot of questions, but I really appreciate any info Columbia residents can send our way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM

9,643 posts, read 13,811,757 times
Rosewood. From Columbia to Sumter is a pretty drive.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 AM

6,652 posts, read 14,188,300 times
Rosewood is a more walkable area and very close to everything.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:43 PM

843 posts, read 2,453,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erndom69151 View Post
he assures me that he would rather live in a larger town as compared to Sumter
How can he be so confident in this decision? Has he previously lived in Sumter and has knowledge on the area? What is the comparison to Sumter?

It's no skin off my back if he is accustomed to, and prefers, driving 500 miles a week for work only (at 20MPG, with prices quickly climbing to $4/gal, that will cost him an additional $435/mo), but too many people come here making decisions based off misconceptions, falsities and rumors spread by people with poor attitudes.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 PM

6,652 posts, read 14,188,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
How can he be so confident in this decision? Has he previously lived in Sumter and has knowledge on the area? What is the comparison to Sumter?

It's no skin off my back if he is accustomed to, and prefers, driving 500 miles a week for work only (at 20MPG, with prices quickly climbing to $4/gal, that will cost him an additional $435/mo), but too many people come here making decisions based off misconceptions, falsities and rumors spread by people with poor attitudes.
If he works at Shaw, that is only a 60 mile round trip per day. Granted, I wouldn't want to make that trip, but some people don't like living in small towns.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 AM

843 posts, read 2,453,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
If he works at Shaw, that is only a 60 mile round trip per day. Granted, I wouldn't want to make that trip, but some people don't like living in small towns.
Not to pick at nits, but:

- Just from Shaw to Pineview is 60 miles out and back; going to Rosewood or Forest Acres is going to be significantly more (it's 45 one way for me, from the West side of Shaw to downtown Cola).

- I don't know why it's continually referred to as a 'small town', but Sumter is quite large. Huge, in fact. It's not the size of Columbia, but it's got nearly all the amenities with less of the frustrations.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM

6,192 posts, read 9,429,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Not to pick at nits, but:

- Just from Shaw to Pineview is 60 miles out and back; going to Rosewood or Forest Acres is going to be significantly more (it's 45 one way for me, from the West side of Shaw to downtown Cola).

- I don't know why it's continually referred to as a 'small town', but Sumter is quite large. Huge, in fact. It's not the size of Columbia, but it's got nearly all the amenities with less of the frustrations.

A side note.. its interesting that people refer to Sumter as a "town" in fact I often hear it described as a "big town" while Florence is referred to as a "small city". The reasons for this certainly vary depending on your own personal experience and definitions but from what I can gather.. Because Florence (though the City of Florence I believe is actually smaller than the City of Sumter though the metro is larger) has more city like amenities... More stores.. stores found in larger cities (i.e. Target) and even more than one branch of larger chain stores; an interstate (with lights and a jersey barrier in the middle no less.. thats real citified...an expressway-Sumter's "expressway" is less express and more of a bypass) and Airport with commercial service, train, and bus service. THis is why I believe Sumter is often just considered a "town" by some since it lacks some of these amenities.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM

9,643 posts, read 13,811,757 times
Melrose Heights in the city of Columbia is also convenient to 378 that runs from Columbia to Sumter. This Old House just featured it as a real winner.

Melrose Heights Historic District, Columbia, South Carolina | Best Old House Neighborhoods 2011: The South | Photos | Home & Real Estate | This Old House

Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM

254 posts, read 525,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
A side note.. its interesting that people refer to Sumter as a "town" in fact I often hear it described as a "big town" while Florence is referred to as a "small city". The reasons for this certainly vary depending on your own personal experience and definitions but from what I can gather.. Because Florence (though the City of Florence I believe is actually smaller than the City of Sumter though the metro is larger) has more city like amenities... More stores.. stores found in larger cities (i.e. Target) and even more than one branch of larger chain stores; an interstate (with lights and a jersey barrier in the middle no less.. thats real citified...an expressway-Sumter's "expressway" is less express and more of a bypass) and Airport with commercial service, train, and bus service. THis is why I believe Sumter is often just considered a "town" by some since it lacks some of these amenities.

Woah..... Florence is bigger and classier than Sumter.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM

191 posts, read 425,292 times
Don't live in Sumter. Rosewood or even parts of lower Richland would be a whole lot closer to Shaw then Forest acres. I don't know enough ab LR but I'm sure there are places that are close to Cola that are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area