Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Tomorrow The State is doing an article about the "significant" population increases in both Richland County and Columbia, including information about who moved in.
Whites flock to Columbia, blacks to Richland County - Local / Metro - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/03/27/1752757/awaiting-a-benjamin-quote-waddell.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 AM

12,877 posts, read 18,733,766 times
Blacks are moving to Lexington County, too, trading places with suburban whites who are moving into the city. I hate to say it, but it sounds like a story of African-Americans still trying to realize the so-called "American Dream" while young whites are saying "you mean the American Nightmare - get me outta here." I'm just sayin'.

I'm re-posting the story. The State goes straight to the point in their coverage. I find it interesting that, as the city manager states, very little of the the city's growth was a result of annexation. Annexation, and infill, are this decade's babies. Annexing existing residential areas that are suburban in design just to add population and add to the tax base doesn't encourage urban development, but that's another story.

TheState.com: South Carolina's source for news, politics, weather and sports.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
In today's The State the writer explains how Lexington County's slow-down in growth from 48,000 in the 90's to 46,000 last decade was due to more people heading for the coast, treating Lexington County as an island in a vacuum. He never mentioned Columbia or Richland County except as places with which to compare the populations of the town of Lexington and Lexington County. Never mind that Lexington County is only part of an MSA that gained 120,000 people, which was roughly the same as Charleston's and way more than either Myrtle Beach's (Horry) or Hilton Head's (Beaufort). The State's writers constantly sell Columbia and the Midlands out.
To further beleaguer my point, between 1990 and 2000 Richland County added 34,957 to Lexington County's 48,000, but from 2000 to 2010 Richland County added 63,800 to Lexington County's 46,000+. Could it be that more people are choosing Richland County over Lexington County since 2000 and not that more people are choosing the coast over Lexington County? That's not to insinuate one county is better than the other. I'm just sayin'.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM

8,219 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:
Blacks are moving to Lexington County, too, trading places with suburban whites who are moving into the city. I hate to say it, but it sounds like a story of African-Americans still trying to realize the so-called "American Dream" while young whites are saying "you mean the American Nightmare - get me outta here." I'm just sayin'.

I'm re-posting the story. The State goes straight to the point in their coverage. I find it interesting that, as the city manager states, very little of the the city's growth was a result of annexation. Annexation, and infill, are this decade's babies. Annexing existing residential areas that are suburban in design just to add population and add to the tax base doesn't encourage urban development, but that's another story.

TheState.com: South Carolina's source for news, politics, weather and sports.

I think many AA are chasing better schools and to a lesser extent lower crime. Younger Whites and Empty Nesters tend to favor the City.. Both groups are usually childless and dont need as much space or worry about Schools. Columbia is also adding more parks, trails, nightlife, and the arts.. that appeal to these populations as well.. They also appeal to many AA families but it may not be a priority..especially those with kids.. I think many AA favor Richland County over Lexington for a variety of reasons.

I find it hard to believe that most of Columbia's growth was a result of "in fill" housing. I mean there is a full time person doing annexations for the City.. that position has probably paid for itself with the amount of revenue annexed into the City especially in the far NE and NW. Granted there has been alot of infill development and maybe a few condos.. but if you look at the map.. its clearly suburban and interburban development that is driving it

Old 03-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Not much annexation occurred over the last decade. They have just now turned their attention toward annexing in earnest.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 AM

Default White Flight, Black Flight, and White Resettlement

Those who havent looked at the Census Tracts and Population trends for the Midlands may find the attached link interesting (or atleast I do). We have touched on it from time to time but having a map that displays stats always is more compelling. As others have indicated, African Americans are leaving Columbia proper.. while whites are returning to the downtown sections of the City. The White population of areas like St. Andrews, Seven Oaks, Harbison and the southern part of Irmo is declining and while the African American populations in those same areas is increasing.

North Columbia continues to decline and is mostly African American.. with the exception of Earlwood Park area. Much of Richland County older suburbs continue to decline in both white and african american populations with the exception of a few areas near Forest Acres, Wildwood Spring Valley, Windsor Lakes. The white population in these older more affluent suburbs did also decline slightly due most likely to aging residents while their African American Population increased.

The far reaches of NE Richland County saw increases in both African Americans and Whites with exception of parts of the Summit which saw declines in the White Population.

Both the African American and White Population (in particuliar) skyrocketed in parts of Lexington County (Red Bank, Town of Lexington and the western suburbs). African Americans still make only a small percentage of the population in the western burbs.. but it is increasing though much slower than Richland or the NW Richland/Lexington border areas.

The latino population also exploded in places like West Columbia and Cayce with some minor increases in the African American population.. but the White population in most of the older urban cities in Lexington County (tri cities) declined.. likely due to aging residents similiar to what occurred in their Richland County counterparts.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,661 times
I wonder how much Ft. Jackson affects Richland county's numbers? With their expanded missions the Fort's population has greatly increased and many of them brought families with them to the area.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Very interesting. After zooming in to the max I can place the arrow over each census tract and pretty much know the story behind each, based on housing developments and school zones.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,555,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I wonder how much Ft. Jackson affects Richland county's numbers? With their expanded missions the Fort's population has greatly increased and many of them brought families with them to the area.
Very little - they usually have less than 15,000 people in residence.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Very little - they usually have less than 15,000 people in residence.

Arent most soldiers now being housed off base via a voucher? I think that is what happened at Shaw AFB.. though since FJ is Army Training.. it may be less practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area