Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 PM

2,276 posts, read 2,626,357 times

Advertisements

So you're big on size huh?
Means nothing; it's the quality of life that counts, and Columbia doesn't have it.
The population you're so proud of is only a few thousand more than Charleston City proper, but Charleston's metropolian population is the largest in the state. And it does have a better quality of life, one of the best in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Means nothing; it's the quality of life that counts, and Columbia doesn't have it.
The population you're so proud of is only a few thousand more than Charleston City proper, but Charleston's metropolian population is the largest in the state. And it does have a better quality of life, one of the best in the U.S.
"Quality of life" is subjective and all the major metros of the state are essentially even when it comes to that by most objective standards. But all three have their unique attributes that appeal to some over others.

Charleston is not the largest metro area in the state. Columbia is, and as of now it has a pretty comfortable size advantage when it comes to that.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 AM

2,121 posts, read 2,241,501 times
Quote:

Columbia juuust eeks it out on the metro size. Just a 100,000 or so larger. Where did you get the information that Charleston's metro is larger? Very curious.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,480,790 times
Quote:
Columbia is easily the largest MSA in the state and quality of life is a personal preference. I prefer Columbia, but love to visit Charleston. I just don't want to live there.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 AM

12,742 posts, read 18,541,344 times
There is a difference between metropolitan area and metropolitan statistical area and Columbia is bigger than Charleston in both regards. The MA counts population in developed areas, both urban and suburban, while the MSA counts the poplation of the urban, suburban and rural areas of every county that contains development related to a central city.

I feel Columbia's quality of life overall is better than Charleston's. Except for the three weeks Spoleto is in Charleston, I feel Columbia's arts across the board are much stronger. I prefer fresh water to salt water. A drive out to see Lake Murray feels so much more refreshing to me than a drive out to a beach, just because I know the water contains no salt and that it came from a spring somewhere up in the cool mountains. The tree canopy in and around Columbia is taller and shadier than Charleston's. The sidewalks in Columbia are wider, the cost of living is lower for the same level of amenities, although those amenities aren't bragged about as much as the amenities of other locales in the state, and the traffic is not as cramped. These are my opinions and I don't go into the threads of other cities and say Columbia's quality of life is better than theirs.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 AM

611 posts, read 915,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
There is a difference between metropolitan area and metropolitan statistical area and Columbia is bigger than Charleston in both regards. The MA counts population in developed areas, both urban and suburban, while the MSA counts the poplation of the urban, suburban and rural areas of every county that contains development related to a central city.

I feel Columbia's quality of life overall is better than Charleston's. Except for the three weeks Spoleto is in Charleston, I feel Columbia's arts across the board are much stronger. I prefer fresh water to salt water. A drive out to see Lake Murray feels so much more refreshing to me than a drive out to a beach, just because I know the water contains no salt and that it came from a spring somewhere up in the cool mountains. The tree canopy in and around Columbia is taller and shadier than Charleston's. The sidewalks in Columbia are wider, the cost of living is lower for the same level of amenities, although those amenities aren't bragged about as much as the amenities of other locales in the state, and the traffic is not as cramped. These are my opinions and I don't go into the threads of other cities and say Columbia's quality of life is better than theirs.

Well said. Although there are some folks in Greenville and Charleston who would never believe it, some folks have actually chosen to live in Columbia over their cities. I'll whole-heartedly agree that Charleston is a better city to be a tourist in, but my wife and I will relocate back to the Columbia area before we ever move to Charleston because we enjoy the quality of life in Columbia.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM

5,465 posts, read 8,248,478 times
As long as GSA MSA isn't reinstated Columbia is and will remain the largest MSA for sometime to come. 100k is a decent sized spread.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 PM

12,742 posts, read 18,541,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
As long as GSA MSA isn't reinstated Columbia is and will remain the largest MSA for sometime to come. 100k is a decent sized spread.
If Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is reinstated won't it (they) be bigger than Charlotte?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,584,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is reinstated won't it (they) be bigger than Charlotte?
No. If you combine the MSA for RDU, you have the CMSA as you would have with GSP. If you change the rules to combine the MSA's, there is no guarantee what counties would be included or excluded. If RDU is combined, the rules would be less restrictive so that more areas would be added to Charlotte. With a CMSA in the 2.4m range, RDU would not be larger than Charlotte. You may see the same results in SC. If GSP is combined, the rules for defining a MSA will likely change which could move allow other MIdland counties to be added for the Columbia MSA. For Greenville, it would be good news/bad news. Although crime isn't low in Greenville, it would be much worse with other upstate counties making the metrics look worse. Same for education, income etc.....I still don't understand why some think you can change the rules for multi city MSA and not single city focused areas.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,584,723 times
Quote:
Al g, you are 100% wrong. Columbia's MSA is the largest in SC.

As for quality of life, depends on what you are looking for. If you want the beach, Charleston wins. For other amenities, all depends on what you want and value. I like Charleston but would not call it one of the best quality of life areas in the country, maybe not even in the state. The thought of putting a child in Charleston public schools is scary. And, charleston is the only city in the country where I have been followed by someone looking to grab a wallet or watch.....twice. And traffic??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area