Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Thanks for the correction on the Bombers.

What about the Inferno?

Strange that TWO pro teams moved or halted play in the city 4 or more years ago and no teams have filled the void. The largest city and largest metro in the state has no pro teams. Odd. Seems if a team thought they could make money, they would be in Columbia.
Yada yada yada; how many times must you repeat yourself? Columbia has major college sports. If you're not a USC fan, fine. What about Boston natives that live in New York and are Red Sox/Patriots/Bruins fan? It is the SAME thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Yada yada yada; how many times must you repeat yourself? Columbia has major college sports. If you're not a USC fan, fine. What about Boston natives that live in New York and are Red Sox/Patriots/Bruins fan? It is the SAME thing.
So Columbia is like New York? A city that, in baseball alone, has two major league teams AND two minor league teams. SAME thing, all right.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM

18 posts, read 37,096 times
i think people in the south identify with their state or city more so than their region. Yes there is an overall southern region common bond but then it is broken down to state and city. So it is much easier and more popular for college teams to be huge in the south simply because there is typically a major state university. Notice how many pro teams are even in the south compared to the rest of the US. Also notice how popular the SEC teams are to each state. I guess what i am saying is in the south people would rather watch teams that represent their state over teams that just represent a few states or region. Carolina Panthers are a great team but people in Alabama, Georgia, or Virginia could care less about panthers. Just like people in Kentucky, Arkansas, or Mississippi probably aren't die hard titans fans or even watch the Hawks.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Thanks for the correction on the Bombers.

What about the Inferno?

Strange that TWO pro teams moved or halted play in the city 4 or more years ago and no teams have filled the void. The largest city and largest metro in the state has no pro teams. Odd. Seems if a team thought they could make money, they would be in Columbia.
What's odd? Charlotte lost the Hornets years ago because the city refused to deal with a terrible owner. The team made money and would have had a nice new arena, as MJ now has. But, the owner was terrible, sometimes there are other factors which are relative to the success of a pro or minor league team. If you were interested in anything more than half truths, you may understand. Why did the Greenville Braves leave town? Why did the other Greenville Pro teams leave town?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Why did the Greenville Braves leave town? Why did the other Greenville Pro teams leave town?
Pearl, Mississippi or wherever they're located now stated they were going to build the stadium with their own money which they did. Greenville wanted the Atlanta Braves to pay a portion of the building costs. I can't remember how much exactly but I do know it was in the "millions of dollars" range. Obviously, that didn't sit really well with them.

Lack of attendance is the main reason why the Grrrowl, Groove, and Rhinos folded or left town sadly. Not that I was much into arena football or basketball anyways. Great to have hockey back at least. I missed that more than anything else.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
So Columbia is like New York? A city that, in baseball alone, has two major league teams AND two minor league teams. SAME thing, all right.
It is very simple. There are many people who are true fans of the game. For instance at Panther games, there are many who like the Steelers, Packers, Partiots first because that is where they are from. But, they also like professional football so they go to Panther games. Same thing happens at Bobcat games.

While maybe not as common, there are some who like the college game and will attend without any ties to the school. Some like the atmosphere, tailgating or just watching a good game. I have absolutely no ties to Clemson but, I have been to a lot of games because I like football and some of my friends are Clemson fans.

I do agree that Columbia would be served well with a minor league team, but to say that noone goes to Carolina games because they have no ties to the school is false.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Pearl, Mississippi or wherever they're located now stated they were going to build the stadium with their own money which they did. Greenville wanted the Atlanta Braves to pay a portion of the building costs. I can't remember how much exactly but I do know it was in the "millions of dollars" range. Obviously, that didn't sit really well with them.

Lack of attendance is why the Grrrowl, Groove, and Rhinos left sadly. Not that I was much into arena football or basketball anyways. Great to have hockey back at least. I missed that more than anything else.
Thanks.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
So what about the 50% of residents in the city that are NOT USC fans? Shouldn't they have options?

Again, just strange the largest metro and largest city doesn't have pro sports.....very strange.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times
You use that a lot: the largest metro and largest city doesn't have... Does that largest thing really bother you that much?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:37 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
You use that a lot: the largest metro and largest city doesn't have... Does that largest thing really bother you that much?
Doesn't bother me, does it bother you? Isn't Columbia the largest? You state it all the time. It's all about quality of life, not about size.
The small city I live in has pro sports. Usually, pro sports, busy airports, good shopping, etc, etc comes along as a plus with larger cities. Not the case in SC. I guess South Carolina is an anomaly (a good anomaly in my opinion) seeing how the smaller cities have pro sports and the larger city doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area