U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM

7,244 posts, read 13,145,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I don't mean to be selfish, but I'd rather see a minor league baseball team back in Sumter than Columbia. We already have the park for it (although it would need some updating), the small bit of revenue would probably benefit Sumter businesses more than it would Columbia's, Sumter residents need entertainment venues more than Columbia's do, plus it would be far enough away from Columbia to not be a threat/in competition with (not that I necessarily think it would) Carolina Stadium but close enough for Columbia residents to make the drive if they wanted to catch a game.
That's a whole other topic. ANYTHING to help Sumter out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 AM

7,994 posts, read 10,911,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Being new to the Columbia area, I am beginning to question if USC "secretly hinders" professional sports as they want to be the only "games" in town?

Look at Charleston and Greenville. Both have very good professional baseball and ice hockey teams yet Columbia has nothing.

Food for thought.
Columbia did have a pro hockey team, the Inferno. They are supposedly still a team but have not played for 3 seasons. Not sure what happened, but I believe it was something to do with conflicting usage by USC of their previous facility.

Columbia did have a Single A baseball team, but they packed up and moved to Greenville. This had something, again, to do with facilities I believe.

As someone looking in, Columbia seems to be an all USC town....not exactly the best image considering many Columbia residents did not attend USC and care nothing for USC.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,765,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Columbia did have a pro hockey team, the Inferno. They are supposedly still a team but have not played for 3 seasons. Not sure what happened, but I believe it was something to do with conflicting usage by USC of their previous facility.

Columbia did have a Single A baseball team, but they packed up and moved to Greenville. This had something, again, to do with facilities I believe.

As someone looking in, Columbia seems to be an all USC town....not exactly the best image considering many Columbia residents did not attend USC and care nothing for USC.
From someone else looking in, even the most loyal Clemson fan would have to agree that having Carolina in Columbia is a great asset for the city, image included. If you don't like Carolina, that's fine but, to imply that Carolina hurts the image of Columbia or the state is beyond silly. If that is not what you are saying then you can clarify but, if you don't like Columbia or Carolina, don't post in these forums.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,289,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
From someone else looking in, even the most loyal Clemson fan would have to agree that having Carolina in Columbia is a great asset for the city, image included. If you don't like Carolina, that's fine but, to imply that Carolina hurts the image of Columbia or the state is beyond silly. If that is not what you are saying then you can clarify but, if you don't like Columbia or Carolina, don't post in these forums.
The discussion I started is not a Clemson/USC discussion. The discussion is about Columbia and part of what is "holding" it back versus Greenville and Charleston

I believe that if the "city fathers" got behind anything that does not have USC's "blessing" (publically and/or privately), they would get their ba$$'s cut off in a heartbeat.

Like it or not, I believe USC owns Columbia.

Is USC a major asset for the city? Yes. That is about as simple as ones nose on their face.

Do I believe that USC does more good the harm? Yes, and another no brainer question

Do I believe USC "discourages" anything they "believe" will harm their sports revenue? Yes I do.

Do I believe USC likes to keep them old boys down on the farm? Yes, I do.

Do I believe USC should have fired Devine long before they did? Yes, I do....LOL

Once said about Columbus, OH (and yes the state capital also) it is town of adolesences surrounded by a football stadium.

Now to clarify. I own a home in Charleston and Columbia. I am a left leaning, liberal Yankee, married to an USC graduate and I love living in SC. I want to see the Columbia area (and the State of SC) do well.

I also think the State newspaper sucks compared to the Charleston Post and Courier....but another subject....LOL

Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM

257 posts, read 245,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I'm pretty sure with all of the breakneck growth that Austin, TX is receiving that all of those individuals aren't graduates of UT, but it doesn't appear that the lack of major league sports teams hurts Austin's image. As a matter of fact, Austin's Wikipedia entry says that it is the largest city in the nation without a major league sports team. UT sports overwhelmingly dominate in Austin.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The discussion I started is not a Clemson/USC discussion. The discussion is about Columbia and part of what is "holding" it back versus Greenville and Charleston

I believe that if the "city fathers" got behind anything that does not have USC's "blessing" (publically and/or privately), they would get their ba$$'s cut off in a heartbeat.

Is USC a major asset for the city? Yes. That is about as simple as ones nose on their face.

Do I believe that USC does more good the harm? Yes, and another no brainer question

Do I believe USC "discourages" anything they "believe" will harm their sports revenue? Yes I do.

Do I believe USC should have fired Devine long before they did? Yes, I do....LOL

Once said about Columbus, OH (and yes the state capital also) it is town of adolesences surrounded by a football stadium.

Now to clarify. I own a home in Charleston and Columbia. I am a left leaning, liberal Yankee, married to an USC graduate and I love living in SC. I want to see the Columbia area (and the State of SC) do well.

I also think the State newspaper sucks compared to the Charleston Post and Courier....but another subject....LOL
This is not a Clemson/Carolina discussion, I used the reference to highlight how silly a poster's assertion is that Carolina hurts Columbia's image.

I agree with some of what you posted. However, although Carolina is a huge part of Columbia's economy, it is also joined by the state government and Ft. Jackson. Carolina is not the only entity that has a voice in what happens in the city, the state government also has a strong influence and owns a lot of downtown land. But, obviously the state and fort do not play a large part in the athletic arena.

After growing up in SC and now living 5 miles across the border in Charlotte, I see a huge difference in the athletic administration in both a functional sense and an awareness of the influence Carolina has on the city and state. Previous administrations made huge mistakes with regards to pro sports, the most obvious is the refusal to allow the Panthers to play at Williams Brice. That was a disaster for Carolina and the Panthers.

But, I don't see Eric Hyman or others working to prevent pro sports. They may not be cheerleaders or allow a pro team to use the facilities but, in the end, their job is the well being of Carolina's Athletic Department. A single A franchise could do well in Columbia given the right ownership and contribution from the city. I think Carolina would agree but, I don't think they would offer Carolina Stadium.

Finally, one of your comments that mirrors a lot of what I hear and read is that Columbia is being held back vs. Charleston & Greenville or in some cases inferior. Before I write this, Charleston is great and is not duplicated anywhere in the Carolinas or the south. It is a place that has survived history well and has a great future. But, by a lot of economic measures, Columbia is not at a disadvantage. Generally, it has a better educated workforce, a higher income level and for the past decade has grown equal to or better than Greenville or Charleston. The retail scene is lagging but, as was the case with Charlotte a few years back, that tends to correct itself. The fact that we are just now getting a Whole Foods proves that using retail as a barometer of a city's economic health is foolish.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM

7,994 posts, read 10,911,403 times
Quote:

Good post.

The question is, why did both the Inferno (hockey) and the Bombers (baseball) fail in Columbia?

Surely Columbia is large enough to support BOTH college sports and professional sports.....maybe not.

Given that it is the states largest metro and has no professional sports, while its peer cities in the Upstate and LowCountry do have multiple professional teams, leads to the conclusion that it is a USC issue. I believe you hit the nail on the head about USC not wanting to harm their sports revenues. I also believe, it many ways, that attitude holds Columbia back.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 PM

50 posts, read 84,585 times
Quote:
Good post.

The question is, why did both the Inferno (hockey) and the Bombers (baseball) fail in Columbia?

Surely Columbia is large enough to support BOTH college sports and professional sports.....maybe not.

Given that it is the states largest metro and has no professional sports, while its peer cities in the Upstate and LowCountry do have multiple professional teams, leads to the conclusion that it is a USC issue. I believe you hit the nail on the head about USC not wanting to harm their sports revenues. I also believe, it many ways, that attitude holds Columbia back.
The bombers failed because people did not want to go see a okay baseball team play in a run down baseball stadium. The city did not try hard enough to keep the team so they relocated. The city then tried to make a deal with USC to let a Single A team play in the new stadium while it was being built. Carolina said no because they want to keep their property to their self. They are not saying no other teams at all but instead they are saying not at our facilities and not on our dollar.
Now, the Columbia Blowfish, a college summer league team, plays at Capital City Stadium. They are named after Hootie an the Blowfish. Columbia has future plans that have to do with athletic facilities for hockey, arena football, and baseball but at the current time, Carolina is doing more than what is needed to fill the sports scene.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Good post.

This is a gross oversimplification. Look, it is no secret that you hate Carolina and Columbia, presumably because you were called a name. That's fine but, in reality, how much do you know about each franchise? Could the baseball team have built a new stadium with Columbia's help as they did in Greenville? Was the city willing to help with the franchise? Is the Inferno having financial difficulty as did the Growwl in Greenville? There are a ton of other questions that would need to be answered before concluding that Columbia has no minor league sports because of USC.

It is not Carolina's job to promote minor league sports and, it would not fit to allow a minor league team to play in the athletic venues. But, that is way different than working to keep other teams out. I seriously doubt that a minor league team would hurt attendance at USC. Besides, it could be the other way, a minor league team may not want to risk competing with Carolina athletics. As others who are not Carolina fans have said, watching Carolina Baseball is much better than watching a single A team.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM

9,475 posts, read 13,167,899 times
Who cares about minor league professional sports? When they were here I always thought it was something to keep quiet about since only big cities have the only professional sports that make it to TV. USC's on TV a lot. When's the last time minor league sports out of SC were on TV? Minor league sports are a nice little pastime for the locals, but no one cares on a larger scale, not even statewide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area