U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
 
4,296 posts, read 5,965,351 times
Reputation: 1524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Who cares about minor league professional sports? When they were here I always thought it was something to keep quiet about since only big cities have the only professional sports that make it to TV. USC's on TV a lot. When's the last time minor league sports out of SC were on TV? Minor league sports are a nice little pastime for the locals, but no one cares on a larger scale, not even statewide.
Judging by the sellout crowds at Drive games, someone cares even if you hate it brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
 
7,995 posts, read 10,799,573 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Who cares about minor league professional sports? When they were here I always thought it was something to keep quiet about since only big cities have the only professional sports that make it to TV. USC's on TV a lot. When's the last time minor league sports out of SC were on TV? Minor league sports are a nice little pastime for the locals, but no one cares on a larger scale, not even statewide.
What does TV have to do with anything?

Who cares? The citizens of the cities that have minor league teams and the millions that the teams pump into the local economic picture, along with the added quality of life. Look at how much a quality Single A team like The Drive, with a quality ballpark / condo / restaurant development adds to the overall picture.

Check into the economics and then say who cares.

Those that don't care are selling their city short.....something a city like Columbia could have if it tried (or if it took a firm stand with USC), but doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 3,716,746 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
What does TV have to do with anything?

Who cares? The citizens of the cities that have minor league teams and the millions that the teams pump into the local economic picture, along with the added quality of life. Look at how much a quality Single A team like The Drive, with a quality ballpark / condo / restaurant development adds to the overall picture.

Check into the economics and then say who cares.

Those that don't care are selling their city short.....something a city like Columbia could have if it tried (or if it took a firm stand with USC), but doesn't.
Check out the economics of Carolina Athletics and then justify why you think that Carolina hurts Columbia.

Personally, I think a minor league team would be great for Columbia. But, the city has to work the deal and not depend on Carolina which has enough on its plate implementing the facilities master plan. Carolina's venues (with the exception of CLA) should not be used for minor league sports. However, a stadium on the river in the Vista would be a great addition to the landscape. I don't see any evidence that Carolina is stopping that from happening. The current economy may delay getting a minor league team but, not Carolina. In fact, a stadium in the Vista should help generate more economic activity and make attracting companies an easier sell, that would help Carolina, especially if nikki sees the light and works out a deal for the aerospace center...another topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,413 posts, read 12,964,130 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
What does TV have to do with anything?

Who cares? The citizens of the cities that have minor league teams and the millions that the teams pump into the local economic picture, along with the added quality of life. Look at how much a quality Single A team like The Drive, with a quality ballpark / condo / restaurant development adds to the overall picture.

Check into the economics and then say who cares.

Those that don't care are selling their city short.....something a city like Columbia could have if it tried (or if it took a firm stand with USC), but doesn't.
Exactly. No one else cares. Like I said, it's a nice little pastime for the locals. USC athletics bring Columbia more money than minor league sports bring Greenville or Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
 
7,995 posts, read 10,799,573 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Exactly. No one else cares. Like I said, it's a nice little pastime for the locals. USC athletics bring Columbia more money than minor league sports bring Greenville or Charleston.
I think the point is being missed OR actually, I think your comment may be spot on insight into how USC thinks. USC sees minor league sports as competition for their program. Of course USC sports are larger and they should be....it is an SEC school....a no brainer there, but just because Columbia has USC why should the city rest on that and not have minor league sports as well?

Wouldn't it be GREAT if Columbia had BOTH! USC sports and minor league sports coexisting. Even more economic benefit, more options, more quality of life. I think that goes back to the OP's point.....Columbia seems to be behind / missing in the non college sports scene an dno one seems to care.

Why would anyone in Columbia not want both options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
 
50 posts, read 84,002 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I think the point is being missed OR actually, I think your comment may be spot on insight into how USC thinks. USC sees minor league sports as competition for their program. Of course USC sports are larger and they should be....it is an SEC school....a no brainer there, but just because Columbia has USC why should the city rest on that and not have minor league sports as well?

Wouldn't it be GREAT if Columbia had BOTH! USC sports and minor league sports coexisting. Even more economic benefit, more options, more quality of life. I think that goes back to the OP's point.....Columbia seems to be behind / missing in the non college sports scene an dno one seems to care.

Why would anyone in Columbia not want both options?
It would be great if Columbia had both but the attempts that have been made have been sorry attempts to live off of Carolina. For another team to be successful here, they need their own great facility, a great location, a great name, serious marketing, and good ticket prices. So far, no more than two of those things have occurred to any of the past teams. Most people would enjoy to have a non USC team here but it is not at all an issue because of what we already have. If a nice ballpark opened in the city with a well named team, it would be a big success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,413 posts, read 12,964,130 times
Reputation: 1982
There is nothing wrong with Capital City Stadium. Anyone who loves minor league baseball would be fine with it. It's the game, not the venue, right? The market took care of it here. The bulk of the population in the Columbia area doesn't care about minor league sports. The minors' inability to attract fans in Columbia took them to where they're the main sports attraction in town. So what? My advice to city-data.com's Greenvillains is to stop focusing on Columbia's sports scene and enjoy what you've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 05:50 AM
 
4,296 posts, read 5,965,351 times
Reputation: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
There is nothing wrong with Capital City Stadium. Anyone who loves minor league baseball would be fine with it. It's the game, not the venue, right? The market took care of it here. The bulk of the population in the Columbia area doesn't care about minor league sports. The minors' inability to attract fans in Columbia took them to where they're the main sports attraction in town. So what? My advice to city-data.com's Greenvillains is to stop focusing on Columbia's sports scene and enjoy what you've got.
Are you angry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,413 posts, read 12,964,130 times
Reputation: 1982
Angry about what? As though my emotions had anything to do with the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 10:27 AM
 
4,296 posts, read 5,965,351 times
Reputation: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Angry about what? As though my emotions had anything to do with the topic.
I figured since slapped all of us in the mouth, you were angry. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top