U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM

6,528 posts, read 13,705,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
But these appeal to the newcomers, not just the yerocals. We also have a very nice hockey team, and many other things that newcomers like, including me. Not everyone likes usc sports. Would you agree?
I do agree, but the question was whether USC discourages professional sports. I don't know that they discourage it, but it isn't in the USC Athletics Department's best interest to encourage competition - right?

As far as minor league baseball - Columbia has the Blowfish. I think a good minor league team would do well here, but many non-USC fans still attend games - I know quite a few that do. As an example - many people who live in Charlotte are not Panthers fans, but they still may go to a game occasionally.

Last edited by waccamatt; 04-05-2011 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,076,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I do agree, but the question was whether USC discourages professional sports. I don't know that they discourage it, but it isn't in the USC Athletics Department's best interest to encourage competition - right?

As far as minor league baseball - Columbia has the Blowfish. I think a good minor league team would do well here, but many non-USC fans still attend games - I know quite a few that do. As an example - many people who live in Charlotte are not Panthers fans, but they still may go to a game occasionally.
True, I'm a Panther's fan. I don't think USC hurts Columbia, but I believe there are enough newcomers that would support different things in Columbia.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM

8,855 posts, read 17,453,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
True, I'm a Panther's fan. I don't think USC hurts Columbia, but I believe there are enough newcomers that would support different things in Columbia.
The question still wasn't if they hurt Columbia but rather if they discourage competition.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I don't mean to be selfish, but I'd rather see a minor league baseball team back in Sumter than Columbia. We already have the park for it (although it would need some updating), the small bit of revenue would probably benefit Sumter businesses more than it would Columbia's, Sumter residents need entertainment venues more than Columbia's do, plus it would be far enough away from Columbia to not be a threat/in competition with (not that I necessarily think it would) Carolina Stadium but close enough for Columbia residents to make the drive if they wanted to catch a game.
You make a good point. I wonder if they could do something in NE Columbia since it's closer to Sumter and our most populated zip code. There is certainly land available to expansion with sports arenas and it's a reasonable drive from other parts of Columbia and Lexington.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,841,357 times
I think minor league sports can work in Columbia - the population is there to support it. But I'm not sure that the population there is conditioned to embrace it. Columbia is a college town, with a large university in the urban core. Much of that urban core has grown up around the university, caters to the university, and is supported by the university. Selling the hardcore Gamecock fans on minor league sports will be a tough sell, but as others have said there are plenty of Columbia residents who don't care about the Gamecocks. These people seem to be the target audience for minor league sports.

One thing that I would like to see in Columbia is for minor league sports to be used as an economic development tool. In Greenville, for example, the great thing about the Drive is that their stadium was built in a great location. Tons of development has occurred as a direct result of the team's location there. Sure, catching an inexpensive baseball game and having a few drinks is fun, but when the ballpark lights go off the team's presence is still having an impact. That's great!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM

191 posts, read 409,063 times
I've heard that the Panthers wanted to come here, play in the USC stadium but there was a athletic director that didn't want it b/c he or she thought it would detract from USC football. DUMB if that's true.

The South is all about COLLEGE sports. Having a conference such as the SEC certainly helps keep that alive.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
I've heard that the Panthers wanted to come here, play in the USC stadium but there was a athletic director that didn't want it b/c he or she thought it would detract from USC football. DUMB if that's true.
For the inaugural season, yes. Instead the Panthers played their first season in Clemson while their stadium was built.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM

191 posts, read 409,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
For the inaugural season, yes. Instead the Panthers played their first season in Clemson while their stadium was built.
Oh so there was never any plans to be anywhere but Charlotte?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM

3,806 posts, read 8,517,328 times
coming from the college/state cap town of Madison WI, which also has a very strong collegiate following; minor league teams for most part just didnt do well. They have gone thru several baseball options, including "A" teams and "Northern League" teams. The only one with real success is a team from the summer collegiate league up there ( "Northwoods League" ) that plays only summer and has collegiate players. It's a shorter season, yet still draws 6k+ fans to each game, 200k +/- per year. It is marketed as a very affordable family event, and plenty of promos to keep it fun for all who attend. And it's competitive bb to watch. But on flip side the UW dropped Big 10 baseball some years ago so nothing direct there to compete against.
They have tried minor league hockey which could draw well even on same nights Badgers played, but still not enough $$ to keep that team there year after year. And many of those smaller minor leagues run into financial difficulties. Guess the logic also is that if someone wants to go see a pro team, they can drive to Milwaukee for NBA/MLB/IHL ( there are the GB Packers of course but not like tix are always available for those games ).
I would say that any college market with enough population can support other teams, but that entails not only fan support but city and business sponsorships as well..... and after the past couple years in the economy, new teams would be hard to chase after...

Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
Oh so there was never any plans to be anywhere but Charlotte?
That is correct. They only played the first season elsewhere because their stadium in Charlotte was under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area