U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 10,129,806 times
Reputation: 20466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Exactly. No one else cares. Like I said, it's a nice little pastime for the locals. USC athletics bring Columbia more money than minor league sports bring Greenville or Charleston.
Not everyone here likes USC. I am one of those people. I can't stand the Gamecocks. The only reason I have to go to any of their games is for Clemson. If there were minor league sports here, I'd go to them. I won't give USC a dime unless Clemson is in town. And I'm far from the only one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 AM
 
Location: The South
3,667 posts, read 5,051,422 times
Reputation: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Not everyone here likes USC. I am one of those people. I can't stand the Gamecocks. The only reason I have to go to any of their games is for Clemson. If there were minor league sports here, I'd go to them. I won't give USC a dime unless Clemson is in town. And I'm far from the only one!
You are certainly entitled to your sports favorites.

But Friday night and Saturday night, 8,200 people disagreed and attended the USC/Vanderbilt baseball games. That's two nights in a row for a sold-out crowd and this afternoon's game is at 1:00, so we'll see if it's three in a row.

I don't know much about minor league sports but I'd bet that's a crowd they would love. And that brought 8,200 people into the city -- I doubt they all live in Columbia. I'm not sure you'd get that kind of loyalty to a minor league team.

Go #3 ranked Gamecocks! Finish off this series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,484 posts, read 13,227,090 times
Reputation: 1996
#3 USC 5, #1 Vanderbilt 3, bottom of the 8th in the third game of a three-game series, all three games sold out with over 8,000 in attendance each game. Beautiful spring day with the Columbia skyline crisply sprawled as the backdrop. Minor league baseball anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,484 posts, read 13,227,090 times
Reputation: 1996
Final: #3 USC 5, #1 Vanderbilt 3, as USC takes the series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 AM
 
Location: The South
3,667 posts, read 5,051,422 times
Reputation: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
#3 USC 5, #1 Vanderbilt 3, bottom of the 8th in the third game of a three-game series, all three games sold out with over 8,000 in attendance each game. Beautiful spring day with the Columbia skyline crisply sprawled as the backdrop. Minor league baseball anyone?

And the game was carried on ESPN2 -- the stadium, city, weather and crowd of people all looked beautiful. Great game!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
 
16 posts, read 33,368 times
Reputation: 23
I grew up in Columbia and also a Clemson fan, or better yet should I say just not a Carolina fan. Now while there is a good fan base for USC in Columbia, half of the city have no sports teams to associate themselves with due to the fact that they are not Carolina fans. I would love to be able to have a hometown team to pull for as much of Columbia would. In addition to that, the crowds that fill stands at Carolina Stadium are made up of much more than just people from the Columbia Metro area, these are fans from all over the state. As said in previous posts this is a tremendous benefactor to the publicity and economy of Columbia, but looking at what would be more attractive to the citizens, Carolina does not fill that void. Now as stated before in other posts, its not the responsibility of USC to provide facilities, or be a big cheerleader for another sports team, but at the same time, I feel as though they should be a little more inviting than they are. The reason the Columbia Inferno left or is inactive at the moment is because USC refused to renew their rental agreement at the Carolina Coll. which is used for nothing else. USC would take no hit on having the Inferno play there yet they drove them away. In addition to that, the Colonial Life Arena was planned to be the home of Carolina Basketball AND Columbia Inferno, with both the city and university funding the project, but despite it not being completely USC's facility, they preasured the city to move the inferno to Carolina Coll. which they do completely own. This being said, I cant blame USC for doing their job, BUT can blame them for running off teams that could greatly benefit Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,339,668 times
Reputation: 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMUPatriot View Post
I grew up in Columbia and also a Clemson fan, or better yet should I say just not a Carolina fan. Now while there is a good fan base for USC in Columbia, half of the city have no sports teams to associate themselves with due to the fact that they are not Carolina fans. I would love to be able to have a hometown team to pull for as much of Columbia would. In addition to that, the crowds that fill stands at Carolina Stadium are made up of much more than just people from the Columbia Metro area, these are fans from all over the state. As said in previous posts this is a tremendous benefactor to the publicity and economy of Columbia, but looking at what would be more attractive to the citizens, Carolina does not fill that void. Now as stated before in other posts, its not the responsibility of USC to provide facilities, or be a big cheerleader for another sports team, but at the same time, I feel as though they should be a little more inviting than they are. The reason the Columbia Inferno left or is inactive at the moment is because USC refused to renew their rental agreement at the Carolina Coll. which is used for nothing else. USC would take no hit on having the Inferno play there yet they drove them away. In addition to that, the Colonial Life Arena was planned to be the home of Carolina Basketball AND Columbia Inferno, with both the city and university funding the project, but despite it not being completely USC's facility, they preasured the city to move the inferno to Carolina Coll. which they do completely own. This being said, I cant blame USC for doing their job, BUT can blame them for running off teams that could greatly benefit Columbia.
I agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 PM
 
315 posts, read 529,510 times
Reputation: 148
I honestly believe South Carolina, NOT "Carolina", could and would support an NFL team, exclusively for SOUTH Carolina, not a team that just leaves the "North" off of Carolina to trick us.

South Carolina residents, imo, are more passionate about football than our friends to the north. The fact we can sellout 85,000 seats during USC's 0-22 streak says a lot.

But it would have to be in Columbia. Charleston is too far away on the coast, and Greenville isn't quite big enough. It would have to resemble the Green Bay model, small city, support NFL team. The team name would have to be strongly rooted in something purely South Carolinian. Like the "Sandlappers" or "Swamp Foxes" or "Rebels" or "Crocs" or something SC folks strongly relate to.

Call me crazy. But the Charleston Metro area has about 650-700,000 residents. So does Columbia. So does Greenville. And the state is almost 5,000,000 total. AND I bet we could suck some fans out of Charlotte if our team was better.

Call me crazy. But if the Packers didn't exist.......I bet residents of Green Bay, Wisconsin would be called crazy for wanting a football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
 
1,283 posts, read 2,163,209 times
Reputation: 660
You say that Charleston is too far away (from what, I'm not sure), and Greenville isn't quite big enough. You proceed to go on to say that Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville are all the same size. That's terribly confusing logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 PM
 
315 posts, read 529,510 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
You say that Charleston is too far away (from what, I'm not sure), and Greenville isn't quite big enough. You proceed to go on to say that Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville are all the same size. That's terribly confusing logic.
I'm saying even if Charleston were much bigger, say 1,000,000.........it's too far from the states other large population areas. 3 hours from Gville. Whereas Columbia is 1-1.5 hours from everywhere in the state. To get enough people in for an NFL team, it'd need to be a very short drive since no city in SC is very big. Thats why Charleston, just geographically, is a bit too far from the rest of the state.

G'ville, like Charleston, isn't big enough, despite it's good location. Draw a big circle around any city, 1 hour away, 2, 4, 6, etc. And you see how many cities you hit that are potential customers/fans. A circle around Charleston is cut in half by the ocean. Thus, Columbia would be a much better choice to place a team that needs lots of fans from outside the city to come.

Greenville is located better, but, is just not big enough to support a team that would be South Carolina's.

Columbia also is not big enough, BUT is between G'ville and Charleston, and thus, is in the perfect spot to bring in fans statewide. Thats why the High School League play's it's state championships there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top