U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM

315 posts, read 527,786 times

Advertisements

BTW-- Charleston and Greenville are roughly the same size by Census standards. However, from May-September, Charleston is easily the largest city in SC with tourists. Not sure if they count the 20,000 or so military base residents either. But even if Charleston doubled in size, and it's metro area was 1,300,000 instead of 650,000 (officially) that would still be too small, I think, as most of the upstate wouldn't make that 3 hour drive on a Sunday. Maybe, but I just don't think so. Columbia could host it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM

6,528 posts, read 13,701,636 times
South Carolina isn't densely populated enough to support major league professional sports. The Green Bay outlier doesn't really fit because the team was founded 90 years ago.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 AM

3,632 posts, read 5,016,565 times
Sure, why not? Get a petition or something going. You'll need a major investor first. The Redskins are doing terribly and ranked at the bottom for fan support -- give Dan Snyder a call, he might be willing to relocate. I know Washington would be glad to get rid of him.

But, I seriously doubt you're going to pull Gamecock fans away. They'll still pack Williams-Brice every home game.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:17 AM

3,805 posts, read 8,513,254 times
being from WI, I agree on the Packer comments. Too small of a market to host a team if it wasn't for the history it has there. Now that history has a line to get season tickets that at times has gone as deep as decades, but considering most smaller markets have serious trouble maintaining pro teams GB would be in the same boat if there were no Packers and someone said "hey let's bring in a team"...
Of course on the flip side, watch espn highlights of various major league stadiums..... I still dont know how Miami can keep the marlins when it looks like the only peeps in their stands are employees ( and they are getting a new stadium to boot! )...

I do think a market like Cola's could field a minor league team; especially as the ones most successful are good at not only putting on the field a solid team but also marketing themselves to be good family entertainment. Give a family something to do that's fun and affordable and they will come.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,197,665 times
as a USC fan and former Columbian, I could not care less about hockey or minor league baseball... or major league hockey and baseball, for that matter. i would like to see college baseball grow into a major collegiate sport like basketball or football, and for Carolina to be a powerhouse in a major sport.

However I realize it isn't about me , so I try to put myself in the shoes of someone who isn't already a Carolina fan. The part I don't understand is why someone would move to Columbia and want to go see minor league sports, and yet refuse to attend Carolina sporting events.

I wouldn't say I discouraged the minor leagues from coming, but i never supported the teams we had. i was always against the idea of the city or county spending a single dime on minor league sports.

Last edited by le roi; 06-21-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 AM

966 posts, read 1,836,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The Redskins are doing terribly and ranked at the bottom for fan support -- give Dan Snyder a call, he might be willing to relocate. I know Washington would be glad to get rid of him.
Not to derail the thread or anything but where did you come up with that? I lived up there for a couple of years and it was tough to get a ticket. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
FedEx Field has not had a football season in which the stadium failed to sell out its non-premium tickets. Even though it's the NFL's largest stadium, the waiting list for Redskins season tickets has reached over 30 years. Although the Redskins have never sold out the entire stadium, the team has never had a game blacked out on local television because it does not count "premium club level seating" when calculating sellouts. For the past six years at FedEx Field, Redskins fans have set the regular-season home paid attendance record. In 2005, the team drew a record 716,998 fans overall. The December 30, 2007, 276 win against the Dallas Cowboys was the most watched game in Redskins history, with 90,910 fans in the stands to see Washington clinch a playoff spot.
Doesn't sound like he would want to be moving anytime soon.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 AM

3,805 posts, read 8,513,254 times
what would be nice for the fans in this area; is if say the Panthers could play a game here ( not talking exhibition ). For some years that's what the Packers did in WI, since Milwaukee was it's largest city but was 2+ hours away from Green Bay, they would come down and play in the old County Stadium. While a situation like that may not match up for total dollars these days from the various PSL's, boxes, etc it was a great way to allow fans from across the state to be able to see a game.
I'm not for or against the Panthers so can't say what their current fan situation is--but it may be a way to add to it's base if it's struggling. And drum up interest for kids to become new fans of what is the closest team they have...

just a thought...

Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM

3,632 posts, read 5,016,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Not to derail the thread or anything but where did you come up with that? I lived up there for a couple of years and it was tough to get a ticket. From Wikipedia:
Doesn't sound like he would want to be moving anytime soon.
Mostly I was kidding because this was fresh in my mind from yesterday's Washington Examiner Redskins rank at bottom of barrel in fan value | Liz Farmer | Redskins | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/teams/redskins/2011/06/redskins-rank-bottom-barrel-fan-value - broken link)

It's sad but friends I have in the DC area tell me they are pretty disgusted with what he has done to the Redskins. Note the last entry in the Wikipedia article is about 2007. There's been problems lately.

That's probably the hardest part of getting a pro team in Columbia (or anywhere, really) -- a owner illing to relocate their team or get a new franchise started.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 06-21-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 AM

894 posts, read 2,246,591 times
If Milwaukee didn't exist, there would be no team in Green Bay at this point. As was pointed out, they played several games a year down in Milwaukee for many years which helped keep the team afloat through poor stretches and even now, three games per season (1 preseason, 2 regular season) are dedicated to those who were season ticket holders for the Milwaukee games. It's not a valid comparison. Plus the Packers have now been in the top tier of the NFL for the last 20 years and have developed even more of a national following. Something a Carolina team would probably not develop.

I agree, it would be great if the Panthers could play one game a year in Columbia, or Clemson, or rotate between the two.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,291,824 times
Lets us backup a moment on "professional" sports.

Charleston SC supports a professional baseball team (River Dogs) and a professional ice hockey team (Stingrays). While not MLB or the NHL, they are both professional sport teams and this is the level of professional sports I am talking about Columbia supporting, ala Columbia Inferno.

While I cannot directly say/prove USC tires to kill all local sports other then USC sport, I think many do believe they do try and "kill" them via benign neglect if not more directly ala Columbia Inferno.

Along the same lines, is a "state newspaper" that primarily covers their front page with a USC sports story nothing more then an in-house USC rag?

Last edited by accufitgolf; 06-21-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area