U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,716,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not sure where you're getting Greenville forum members are bashing Columbia in this thread. Gsupstate, GvilleSC, and me stated nothing but the truth. Oh and the person who started this thread doesn't even live in Greenville so your argument is invalid.
G-Man, you provide good comments without bashing Columbia. But, you'll have to admit, other Greenville posters have nothing valuable to say about the city, I think that is what Colapro is referencing. I am still puzzled as to why a Greenville resident likes to spend time out on these boards, and others, bashing Columbia or providing 1/2 truths at best.

As for this thread, I am not sure how many other ways it can be discussed. For Carolina fans, having the university in Columbia is great, for others, it is the root of all evil that prevents the city from getting another team. If people feel stongly enough, they shoud start looking into what it takes to attract a single A team. As I have said before, a new stadium in the Vista would be great, I just don't want to share Carolina Stadium with a single A team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 PM

9,977 posts, read 19,711,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
G-Man, you provide good comments without bashing Columbia. But, you'll have to admit, other Greenville posters have nothing valuable to say about the city, I think that is what Colapro is referencing. I am still puzzled as to why a Greenville resident likes to spend time out on these boards, and others, bashing Columbia or providing 1/2 truths at best.
Ahh...that makes sense. I thought he was just referring to this thread which is why I was confused. I'm not gonna bash or defend Greenville/Columbia boosters and haters with this whole Greenville vs. Columbia thing as it would pit me one side against the other. I think i'll just stick in the middle ground.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,716,159 times
Quote:
Ahh...that makes sense. I thought he was just referring to this thread which is why I was confused. I'm not gonna bash or defend Greenville/Columbia boosters and haters with this whole Greenville vs. Columbia thing as it would pit me one side against the other. I think i'll just stick in the middle ground.
Good thinking to sit back. I have always been confused as to the whole Greenville/Columbia thing. Both are nice places to live and offer similar & unique amenities. But, there are some who like to pick up small details in a vacuum to create a thread so that Columbia looks bad. Interesting waste of time.

Anyway, I hope to see Columbia get a single A team at some point. The city could support a team and it would add to what Carolina provides for the city. It would be fun to see two ballparks simultaneously lit up for night games on the river linked by the greenway/park. Could be a very cool environment.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 PM

8,803 posts, read 17,221,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
South Carolina isn't densely populated enough to support major league professional sports. The Green Bay outlier doesn't really fit because the team was founded 90 years ago.
Ditto. The reason Clemson/USC get such large attendance numbers is because of no pro football team. If there was a pro football team you'd still have the same 160k attending weekend games but it would be split up amongst the 3 teams and therefore couldn't support a pro football team. Most people would still go to the college games and the NFL would struggle to put 40k in the stands. Most people don't have the time or money to go to attend both.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 AM

3,513 posts, read 4,905,522 times
I think this college v. pro thing is just a Southern tradition. Most parts of the South just love high school and college sports better. That's a hard tradition to break.

Especially when the college team is winning!! Go Gamecocks!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 AM

7,995 posts, read 10,797,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaPro View Post
Not true. People go to Carolina games and almost all team's games if they are fans of the team or not.
Most people don't waste money on a game if they have no allegiance to the team(s) playing. Think of the grads from Georgia, Clemson, UNC, etc, etc that now live in Columbia. I doubt they give a care about a USC game. Columbia should have some type of pro sports that EVERYONE in the city can have allegiance to. They had it with the Bombers and the Inferno at one time.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:36 AM

22,770 posts, read 24,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Because, not everyone cares to watch a team that they have absolutely no connection to.
And you have a connection to the "Greenville Drive", formerly the "Capital City Bombers" ? Give me a break, it's the same thing.

It is definitely more fun to go see a team you have a connection to, sure. But that doesn't preclude someone from deriving some entertainment out of college sports. I live next to UNC-Wilmington but have no affiliation with it, and I enjoy their baseball games.

Quote:
Can you buy beer at a Carolina game?
i haven't been to a game at the new stadium yet, i wouldn't know.

Quote:
Because not everybody that lives in Columbia is a USC fan/alumni maybe.

I don't see why that would be an obstacle. I have been to plenty of college sporting events where Carolina was not playing, and had a good time. If I lived near Clemson or Georgia I'd definitely go watch them play.

Last edited by le roi; 06-22-2011 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,131,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
And you have a connection to the "Greenville Drive", formerly the "Capital City Bombers" ? Give me a break, it's the same thing.

It is definitely more fun to go see a team you have a connection to, sure. But that doesn't preclude someone from deriving some entertainment out of college sports. I live next to UNC-Wilmington but have no affiliation with it, and I enjoy their baseball games.

i haven't been to a game at the new stadium yet, i wouldn't know.

I don't see why that would be an obstacle. I have been to plenty of college sporting events where Carolina was not playing, and had a good time. If I lived near Clemson or Georgia I'd definitely go watch them play.
Can I ask where you attended school?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:46 AM

22,770 posts, read 24,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Can I ask where you attended school?
yes you may. i have a bachelors of science from carolina.

Last edited by le roi; 06-22-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 AM

58 posts, read 60,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Most people don't waste money on a game if they have no allegiance to the team(s) playing. Think of the grads from Georgia, Clemson, UNC, etc, etc that now live in Columbia. I doubt they give a care about a USC game. Columbia should have some type of pro sports that EVERYONE in the city can have allegiance to. They had it with the Bombers and the Inferno at one time.
Again, when was the last time you went to a USC baseball game? Some people just love to watch baseball no matter who is playing. I see multiple Clemson fans at USC games every time I see a game. Columbia, can and will support a professional team. If people are really dead set on going to see a game but not a USC game then they can go to a blowfish game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area