Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,855,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Lets us backup a moment on "professional" sports.

Charleston SC supports a professional baseball team (River Dogs) and a professional ice hockey team (Stingrays). While not MLB or the NHL, they are both professional sport teams and this is the level of professional sports I am talking about Coulumbia supporting.
Columbia did have these type teams until about 3 or 4 years ago and apparently attendance was dismal.

The Inferno (hockey) shut down, supposedly only temporarily to build a new arena in Lexington County. That didn't happen.

The Bombers (baseball) moved to Greenville, became the Drive, and built Fluor Field.

Last edited by gsupstate; 06-21-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Along the same lines, is a "state newspaper" that primarily covers their front page with a USC sports story nothing more then an in-house USC rag?
of course not. USC is the flagship university of the state.

i'm still not clear on why college baseball is believed to not be an adequate substitute for minor league baseball.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm still not clear on why college baseball is believed to not be an adequate substitute for minor league baseball.
well my .02 on the above may be skewed slightly do to my being still 'new' to SC and it's climate. Growing up and living in WI, baseball was a summer sport, and whether it was driving to Milwaukee to catch the Brewers, or staying in Madison and going to their minor league park ( actually it was a Northwoods summer league of college kids ), it was still viewed in summer. And the Madison team averages over 6000 per game for attendance, just played in the summer months.
I cant compare Gamecock bb to what we had in Madison since the UW dropped their collegiate team some years ago ( title 19 I believe was the culprit though bb there never could achieve the fan base that fb, basketball, and hockey has ) and going to a Northwoods game is a combination of good baseball as well as family marketing and promotions. So the atmosphere was likely different then one at a college game, even one in the SEC. Not better or worse, just different...

But a summer night in WI isnt always as "warm" as one down here, so perhaps the collegiate game is the only real ticket as it's basically done now and how many fans ( even SC locals ) would go out on those hot pm's and evenings to sit in the stands for several hours?

not an opinion, just curious...

Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,072 times
Quote:
Because, not everyone cares to watch a team that they have absolutely no connection to.

Can you buy beer at a Carolina game?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Quote:
Because not everybody that lives in Columbia is a USC fan/alumni maybe.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 79,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Because, not everyone cares to watch a team that they have absolutely no connection to.

Can you buy beer at a Carolina game?
Not true. People go to Carolina games and almost all team's games if they are fans of the team or not. There are even Clemson fans at Carolina game. If you go to a game here, take a look at the shirts people are wearing, not everyone is wearing team clothing. Also, you can buy a beer at Carolina Stadium if you are in a club seat.

You Greenville folks just love to bash Columbia for fun. You bash the city over the stupidest stuff just to make you feel better. Y'all make really bad impressions on new posters like me. Y'all also give Greenville a bad look by constantly posting bad, closed-minded, stuff.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaPro View Post
You Greenville folks just love to bash Columbia for fun. You bash the city over the stupidest stuff just to make you feel better. Y'all make really bad impressions on new posters like me. Y'all also give Greenville a bad look by constantly posting bad, closed-minded, stuff.
Not sure where you're getting Greenville forum members are bashing Columbia in this thread. Gsupstate, GvilleSC, and me stated nothing but the truth. Oh and the person who started this thread doesn't even live in Greenville so your argument is invalid.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Not true. People go to Carolina games and almost all team's games if they are fans of the team or not. There are even Clemson fans at Carolina game. If you go to a game here, take a look at the shirts people are wearing, not everyone is wearing team clothing. Also, you can buy a beer at Carolina Stadium if you are in a club seat.

Some Columbia residents on this board have said for themselves that they want teams other than Carolina to pull for. So, how can you say that my post is "not true"???

And, I'm not sure I understand how thinking that a city Columbia's size being able to support two sports teams is bashing the city.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

61 posts, read 79,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Some Columbia residents on this board have said for themselves that they want teams other than Carolina to pull for. So, how can you say that my post is "not true"???

And, I'm not sure I understand how thinking that a city Columbia's size being able to support two sports teams is bashing the city.
When you say that only USC fans go to their games, that is not true. Did I ever say that Columbia can't support another team? I know a lot of Carolina fans would support them as long as they have a good stadium, name, location, and team.

When you constantly post in every Columbia thread, tell people that are thinking of relocating to rethink that just to boost Greenville, and say statements that you can rarely back up. Y'all are obessed with making sure any thing positive about Columbia said, is followed by one of y'all saying something that is usually a smart butt comment just to make a stupid point. But what do I know about Columbia, I've just lived here my whole life.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
When you say that only USC fans go to their games, that is not true. Did I ever say that Columbia can't support another team? I know a lot of Carolina fans would support them as long as they have a good stadium, name, location, and team.

When you constantly post in every Columbia thread, tell people that are thinking of relocating to rethink that just to boost Greenville, and say statements that you can rarely back up. Y'all are obessed with making sure any thing positive about Columbia said, is followed by one of y'all saying something that is usually a smart butt comment just to make a stupid point. But what do I know about Columbia, I've just lived here my whole life.
Maybe you can help me find where I've said that only USC fans go to their games. Nor, did I ever say that YOU said Columbia couldn't support another team. You're on a rampage and placing blame where it doesn't belong, as well as putting words in people's mouths. NOT appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area