Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 12:33 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times

Advertisements

Originally, there was no development along the rivers in Columbia because of frequent flooding. That was alleviated, in large part, when the Lake Murray Dam was constructed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
USC athletics puts in $199 million into the midlands economy.

COLUMBIA, SC: EXCLUSIVE: Gamecocks score $199 million for Midlands economy | Education | The State

Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
The lease for the old business building is DOA.

I think the building can be renovated for additional needed classroom space. I just hope this does not affect renovating the Carolina Coliseum. The article in the state talked about increasing enrollment but I think they need to cap it or a while. Making up the lost revenue would cost less than $250 per year for each student.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The lease for the old business building is DOA.

I think the building can be renovated for additional needed classroom space. I just hope this does not affect renovating the Carolina Coliseum. The article in the state talked about increasing enrollment but I think they need to cap it or a while. Making up the lost revenue would cost less than $250 per year for each student.
I doubt it would. It's my understanding that the Business School is completely out of Close/Hipp and the building was closed back in October pending renovations. At this point what goes on at Close/Hipp and what goes on at the Coliseum/Darla Moore should have no impact on each other. It can be renovated but, per The State, will need about $8M sunk into it to replace the HVAC system. There's talk of bringing University operations that currently lease space around the city into Close/Hipp, so that's a possibility. I'd be interested to know what killed the plans for the Executive Office for US Attorneys to relocate though, as those plans have been at least 10 years in the making. IIRC the plan was to relocate EOUSA (currently in DC), the data center (in leased space downtown) and the US Attorney's Office for South Carolina's main office (which currently leases space downtown in the Wells Fargo Building) to Close/Hipp.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
COLUMBIA, SC: LIVE UPDATES: SLED says USC campus shooting was murder-suicide | Crime | The State

Sadly, there has been a murder - suicide on campus this afternoon @ ~115pm. Campus lockdown has been cleared although the event happened in the college of PublicHealth bldg on Assembly.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:13 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
Terrible this happened, but at the same time, I'm glad this wasn't a rampage/spree shooter. From what I've read, classes will continue on campus except for the Arnold School, where the shooting happened.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Seeking bids for the coliseum and Williams Brice stadium plaza. http://columbiabusinessreport.mappsi...all-facilities
Now that they've pretty much demolished everything around the stadium that will be the Springs-Brooks Plaza, I e-mailed the Landscape Manager of USC athletics (Clark Cox) about what will be planted in this soon to come "green area" within the plaza.

He mentioned that there will be 11 species of trees planted. 5 different variety of Oaks, Princeton Elms, Magnolias and Bald Cypress'. Last but not least, a total of 61 Sabal Palmetto's will be planted. Exciting stuff! After all of it is said and done, a before and after picture of the stadium is a must. That is, a "before" picture from the late 90's.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:45 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Now that they've pretty much demolished everything around the stadium that will be the Springs-Brooks Plaza, I e-mailed the Landscape Manager of USC athletics (Clark Cox) about what will be planted in this soon to come "green area" within the plaza.

He mentioned that there will be 11 species of trees planted. 5 different variety of Oaks, Princeton Elms, Magnolias and Bald Cypress'. Last but not least, a total of 61 Sabal Palmetto's will be planted. Exciting stuff! After all of it is said and done, a before and after picture of the stadium is a must. That is, a "before" picture from the late 90's.
Good job getting that info!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Thanks! All of you guys do such a good job of informing me of what's going on in Cola that I try to contribute what little I can.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Thanks! All of you guys do such a good job of informing me of what's going on in Cola that I try to contribute what little I can.
I'll second that! And, I can't give any more rep points to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area