U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 02:23 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,531,078 times

Advertisements

I think dorm shelf life is fairly short. When I was at USC, I had friends at East Quad and at the time they were still fairly new, less than 5 years old or so, and they too started to show signs of degradation lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 01:18 AM

31,113 posts, read 28,834,850 times
Elsewhere in this forum, we talked about whether Columbia might benefit from having a native of the city as governor. Turns out, it might be just the opposite. McMaster is dictating to USC's Board of Trustees who they should vote for as the new university president, a move that could threaten the institution's accreditation.

Who needs enemies when you've got "friends" like this? Ridiculous.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...232608412.html

Old 07-13-2019, 01:43 AM

10,649 posts, read 9,154,220 times
A top-tier regional business school is always a good bet, if you plan to stay in the region, or at least get your start there, until you prove your worth. Many regional businesses shy away from recruiting graduates of highly ranked national schools.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:07 PM

6,739 posts, read 14,438,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Elsewhere in this forum, we talked about whether Columbia might benefit from having a native of the city as governor. Turns out, it might be just the opposite. McMaster is dictating to USC's Board of Trustees who they should vote for as the new university president, a move that could threaten the institution's accreditation.

Who needs enemies when you've got "friends" like this? Ridiculous.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...232608412.html
I'm furious about his intrusion into the process. Caslen doesn't even have a doctorate - he cannot lead a level 1 research institution, not to mention a military background is not a main qualification for being president of a non-military academic institution. McMaster is sticking his nose in it because of Caslen's connections to Trump and USC alumni and professors are not having it.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:48 PM

671 posts, read 500,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm furious about his intrusion into the process. Caslen doesn't even have a doctorate - he cannot lead a level 1 research institution, not to mention a military background is not a main qualification for being president of a non-military academic institution. McMaster is sticking his nose in it because of Caslen's connections to Trump and USC alumni and professors are not having it.

I am sure the General is a fine man, but the Board of Trustees moved on from all four finalists. This is not the time for the Governor to play politics with this. This is a HUGE job that requires the correct experience. The school needs to raise money for a new Medical School, build a new housing village and overhaul many of its programs. This will likely require specific experience and a knack for innovation and collaboration with the private sector. Please make the right decision Trustees... I am just sick that this is what my former party has become

Old 07-13-2019, 02:55 PM

109 posts, read 59,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Bingo, Waccamatt!
Caslen was under consideration to replace Flynn as National Security Advisor but Trump wanted him to stay at West Point.
State Treasurer Loftis’ remarks labeling Caslen opponents as Marxists and Social Justice Warriors is straight out of the Limbaugh/Fox News/Trump playbook of gaslighting.
We were told by the spouse of a University professor that when Pastides retired, this would be an opportunity to reign in what some feared were growing progressive tendencies at the University.
Anyone with any knowledge of other universities would hardly call USC a liberal university by any stretch of the imagination!

Old 07-13-2019, 03:27 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,531,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoLex View Post
Bingo, Waccamatt!
Caslen was under consideration to replace Flynn as National Security Advisor but Trump wanted him to stay at West Point.
State Treasurer Loftis’ remarks labeling Caslen opponents as Marxists and Social Justice Warriors is straight out of the Limbaugh/Fox News/Trump playbook of gaslighting.
We were told by the spouse of a University professor that when Pastides retired, this would be an opportunity to reign in what some feared were growing progressive tendencies at the University.
Anyone with any knowledge of other universities would hardly call USC a liberal university by any stretch of the imagination!
I was getting suspicious as to why our governor was becoming so involved in this process. I kept reading quotes from him about Caslen saying "he's a good guy", but felt there had to be more than that. If what you and Matt said are true, it doesn't surprise me. I don't like it from that angle and of course I don't like the way an illegal snap vote was taken up since that seemed fishy also.

I wouldn't know how liberal USC is compared to other universities, but in my mind, USC wouldn't knowingly have anything to do with anyone associated with Trump (just my feeling). Although it depends on departments... My history and classics professors who I adored were about as liberal as you could get. Criminal Justice guys and gals I didn't feel as much; but I loved them also.

On a side note, what I dislike is that we have a West Point candidate. I worked with 2 West Point guys and they're just a different breed. For better and for worse, but I don't think that background meshes well with USC. There are a few military schools in SC, historically and today; USC is not one of them. We've always been an arts and croissant, wine and cheese crowd, with a focus on liberal arts. The rest, agriculture and military, we left to our younger brothers in the upstate.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:18 PM

6,739 posts, read 14,438,092 times
^Exactly; he is not a good fit at USC and A LOT of alumni will withhold support if he is hired. It will also be difficult to keep and hire qualified professors.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:55 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,041,829 times
Another wrinkle is Kelly who was supposed to start as interim in a few weeks is entitled to the entirety
Of his 400k pay package so hows that for fiscal responsibility McMaster to essentially
Flush 400k down the toilet,

Here’s what should happen. Let kelly come in as planned for the coming year, conduct a brand new job search
In the coming months with completely new candidates

Old 07-14-2019, 01:44 PM

487 posts, read 282,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I was getting suspicious as to why our governor was becoming so involved in this process. I kept reading quotes from him about Caslen saying "he's a good guy", but felt there had to be more than that. If what you and Matt said are true, it doesn't surprise me. I don't like it from that angle and of course I don't like the way an illegal snap vote was taken up since that seemed fishy also.

I wouldn't know how liberal USC is compared to other universities, but in my mind, USC wouldn't knowingly have anything to do with anyone associated with Trump (just my feeling). Although it depends on departments... My history and classics professors who I adored were about as liberal as you could get. Criminal Justice guys and gals I didn't feel as much; but I loved them also.

On a side note, what I dislike is that we have a West Point candidate. I worked with 2 West Point guys and they're just a different breed. For better and for worse, but I don't think that background meshes well with USC. There are a few military schools in SC, historically and today; USC is not one of them. We've always been an arts and croissant, wine and cheese crowd, with a focus on liberal arts. The rest, agriculture and military, we left to our younger brothers in the upstate.
Not sure if he has since, but McMaster hadn't even met Caslen when he apologized for the process outcome and then recommended him. What a farce.

Also if you're interested in making your voices heard to the trustees, here are there contact details:

USC Board of Trustee
Contact list, not including Gubernatorial appointees:

1st Circuit (Calhoun, Orangeburg, Dorchester)
Charles H. Williams (filed the injunction)
Current term: 2018-2022
1281 Russell Street, P.O. Box 1084, Orangeburg, SC 29115- 4717
T: 803-534-5218
chwilliams@williamsattys.com

2nd Circuit (Aiken, Barnwell, Bamberg)
Miles Loadholt
Current term: 2016-2020
80 Virginia Avenue, Barnwell, SC 29812
T: 803-224-8812
mloadholt@motleyrice.com

3rd Circuit (Clarendon, Lee, Sumter, Williamsburg)
Dr. C. Dorn Smith III
500 Thurgood Marshall Hwy, Kingstree, SC 29556

4th Circuit (Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Marlboro)
Eugene Warr
2917 W Palmetto St, Florence, SC 29501
T: 843-665-8187

5th Circuit (Richland, Kershaw)
William C. Hubbard
Meridian, 1320 Main Street 17th Floor, Columbia, SC 29201
T: 803-255-9418
william.hubbard@nelsonmullins.com

6th Circuit (Chester, Fairfiled, Lancaster)
Dr. Hugh Mobley
1073 W. Meeting St. Lancaster, SC
T: 803-285-2021
info@mobleyrx.com

7th Circuit (Cherokee, Spartanburg)
Toney Lister
421 Marion Ave, Spartanburg, SC 29306
T: 864-582-3770

8th Circuit (Abbeville, Greenwood, Laurens, Newberry)
AC Bubba Fennell
340 Main St, Greenwood, SC, 29646
T: 864-229-4951

9th Circuit (Berkeley, Charleston)
John VonLehe — Chair of the Board
151 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401
T: 843-534-4311
john.vonlehe@nelsonmullins.com

Charleston County legislative delegation: Peter McCoy, Marlon Kimpson, JA Moore, Sandy Senn, Marvin Pendarvis, Nick Sottile, Leon Stavinakis

10th Circuit (Anderson, Oconee)
Chuck Allen
1209 North Main Street, Anderson, SC 29621
T: 864-226-6184

11th Circuit (Edgefield, Lexington, McCormick, Saluda)
Thad Westbrook
Nelson, Mullins
Meridian, 1320 Main Street , 17th Floor, Columbia, SC 29201
T: 803.255.5568
thad.westbrook@nelsonmullins.com

12th Circuit (Florence, Marion)
Dr. C. Edward Floyd
805 Pamplico Highway, Medical Mall A - Suite 230, Florence, SC 29505
Floydce@musc.com

13th Circuit (Greenville, Pickens)
Mack Whittle
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mack-whittle-b0878828

14th Circuit (Allendale, Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, Jasper)
Rose Buyck Newton
843-706-3880

15th Circuit (Georgetown, Horry)
J. Egerton Burroughs
8800 Marina Parkway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572
T: 843-448-5123

16th Circuit (Union, York)
Leah Moody
235 E Main St #115, Rock Hill, SC 29730
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or