U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 PM

2,661 posts, read 1,352,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
The deal would be a much-needed shot in the arm for Columbia.
This is a nice project. But, it is important for SC to follow through with the incentives promised. If the project falls through, neighboring states have another argument to use against SC when competing for future projects.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 PM

828 posts, read 914,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Amazon will be a bunch of low wage jobs, but apparently not much more.
Low wage? For entry level, unskilled labor? $15 an hour will be a step up for people that aspire to improve themselves. Go to Wal Mart or your local independent retailer and ask them if they pay stock clerks $15 an hour.

And to those that complain about the local sales tax angle. Please realize that it doesn't matter if Amazon is located in Lexington SC, Lexington MA, Lexington NC, or Lexington TN... people who prefer to shop online will continue to purchase from retailers like Amazon. The only thing that will change is where the state income tax withheld from the employees is remitted.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM

2,661 posts, read 1,352,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Low wage? For entry level, unskilled labor? $15 an hour will be a step up for people that aspire to improve themselves. Go to Wal Mart or your local independent retailer and ask them if they pay stock clerks $15 an hour.

And to those that complain about the local sales tax angle. Please realize that it doesn't matter if Amazon is located in Lexington SC, Lexington MA, Lexington NC, or Lexington TN... people who prefer to shop online will continue to purchase from retailers like Amazon. The only thing that will change is where the state income tax withheld from the employees is remitted.
Upstate's thought would be a lot different if this project were located in Greenville. Interesting that ZF will average in the $15 range as well, it seems that geography defines how Amazon is a "bunch of low wage jobs" and ZF is not.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:24 AM

35 posts, read 48,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
If we don't get the Amazon center here we lose the jobs and income yet Amazon will continue to sell to SC residents tax free. Uhhh...so what's the problem exactly with saying yes to this deal?
When you order from Amazon online, you're ordering from a company on the West Coast. You don't know if what you've ordered is going to be shipped from there, Lexington, KY, or where. I think this issue of taxing online sales is a national issue -- should be uniform everywhere. It won't be too long, I imagine, before states -- always needing money -- get a federal law passed that all online sales have to be taxed at the state and local rates. They've been trying hard, and you figure it will eventually happen.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,556,163 times
speaking at least for myself; having Amazon here does not sway my purchasing decisions..... there are items I buy at local or chain stores in town, and items I purchase online ( Amazon being only one site ). Whatever works out to be the best for me and my pocketbook.
I understand the tax questions, but in this economy anytime you can bring in 1000+ jobs you need to do it. That's 1000+ sets of employment/income taxes, that many more people who can and will be able to spend monies locally, etc.
I see it as a growing benefit. Now the powers that be may not offer the exact tax program to other companies, but SC and it's cities need to get competitive with the other states to pull in what they can and help jump start it's economy.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:38 AM

6,676 posts, read 4,799,335 times
Maybe this is an opportunity for the state to rewrite the tax code, doing away with the sales tax and finding another way to raise revenue.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,421,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
speaking at least for myself; having Amazon here does not sway my purchasing decisions..... there are items I buy at local or chain stores in town, and items I purchase online ( Amazon being only one site ). Whatever works out to be the best for me and my pocketbook.
I understand the tax questions, but in this economy anytime you can bring in 1000+ jobs you need to do it. That's 1000+ sets of employment/income taxes, that many more people who can and will be able to spend monies locally, etc.
I see it as a growing benefit. Now the powers that be may not offer the exact tax program to other companies, but SC and it's cities need to get competitive with the other states to pull in what they can and help jump start it's economy.
I can't believe how moronic the naysayers are in this case. You gotta be kiddin' me. Sectors within the economy in Columbia were clobbered during the downturn, no different from other metros which were hit hard. 1200 jobs is 1200 jobs, any way you cut it, and for anyone to cry foul about more private sector jobs in that area they must be fools, or at least have job security working for state government.

Here's the WIS story, replete with whiny Forest Drive trinket guy and assorted other whiners:

1,200 jobs hang in balance of standoff between Amazon, retailers - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

Quote:
"I have to pay workers comp. I've got to pay insurance. We've got all these other fees associated with it."
So, Wal mart, Target, and Best Buy are against the project. Must be a good thing, then!!!

The largest UPS hub in the SE is located there. The increased freight traffic would create more jobs, there, plus jobs at the airport. On and on down the line.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,421,406 times
These "Main Street Fairness" useful idiots; their main concern:

Streamlined Sales Tax Statistics | Alliance for Main Street Fairness (http://www.standwithmainstreet.com/resources/streamlined-sales-tax-statistics - broken link)

Quote:
“Indeed, states’ budget deficits will likely hit $140 billion in fiscal 2011, the highest since the recession began, said the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. As a result, up to 900,000 public- and private-sector workers may lose their jobs over the year.” (Source: “Even State Capitals Feel The Squeeze,” The Wall Street Journal, 7/7/10
So, we see who the REAL culprits are.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM

35 posts, read 48,477 times
Sale tax is also an issue for two distribution centers that Amazon plans to build in East Tennessee (Chattanooga and Bradley County): Lawmakers want details on Amazon sales-tax deal - Local News - Chattanooga, TN - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42466320/ns/local_news-chattanooga_tn/ - broken link)

More on the other centives offered there: County baits hook for Amazon | timesfreepress.com

Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 PM

3,281 posts, read 2,671,601 times
I'm really hoping this works out and Amazon does come. It's 1200 jobs in a short period of time and could be 3500 jobs in the future. SC needs every single job it can get!

This sales tax reduction for them is looking like it will only be for 5 years and not permanent so why not? Get the jobs and a business paying property taxes here NOW! If we turn it way, other businesses will see how SC makes promises and then backs out. NC, GA and TN would love to get businesses away from us! There's no sense in helping them lore things away!

And I do agree that if this was in Greenville or Charleston, this would be a done deal. Both cities/areas are much more into getting things done to get businesses in. And you see how much there is in both of those areas. Columbia is the capitol for pete's sake! Southwest comes to mind....need I say more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area