Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times

Advertisements

Is it even a building yet? I haven't driven out that way lately. I wonder if Lexington County will go back to blue laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM

548 posts, read 1,979,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Is it even a building yet? I haven't driven out that way lately. I wonder if Lexington County will go back to blue laws.

According to the paper it's partially built.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
How much money is SC losing to internet retailers that do not collect tax? We are required by law to pay the tax on our income tax form, but I'm sure the state still loses millions.

Amazon is "counting" on taxpayers to "cheat" the system, that's what makes Amazon and others more attractive to consumers.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
According to the paper it's partially built.
With that said, I certainly hope there is some kind of law that Amazon must either finish the building (so another company could move in), or Amazon should have to level the incomplete building and replant the site.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM

55 posts, read 129,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
With that said, I certainly hope there is some kind of law that Amazon must either finish the building (so another company could move in), or Amazon should have to level the incomplete building and replant the site.
I would hope for the latter, because after this ordeal it's probably going to be difficult to lure anything else of scale.

As far as the original poster's comment about this having been located somewhere else in the state, here are the votes by county:
Lexington: 7 yes, 0 no
Richland: 8 yes, 2 no
Greenville: 3 yes, 9 no
Charleston: 4 yes, 6 no

Columbia's politicians were largely on board with the deal; it was the rest of the state (and the Governor) that drove them out.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
I'd say it was for the 1200 people who would land those jobs, and the trickle effect that follows. Regardless of how the tax offers affect other businesses ( which are of course legitimate issues ), in this state and in this economy those jobs should have been on the top of the list. I would bet that the high majority of those against the Amazon project are gainfully employed.

just my .02
I concur. We should have made this happen.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCola View Post
I would hope for the latter, because after this ordeal it's probably going to be difficult to lure anything else of scale.

As far as the original poster's comment about this having been located somewhere else in the state, here are the votes by county:
Lexington: 7 yes, 0 no
Richland: 8 yes, 2 no
Greenville: 3 yes, 9 no
Charleston: 4 yes, 6 no

Columbia's politicians were largely on board with the deal; it was the rest of the state (and the Governor) that drove them out.
Payback for the midlands trying to screw the upstate and lowcountry out of Southwest Airlines?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I doubt it. Businesses should decide for themselves whether they should operate on Sunday, and shoppers should decide whether they want to trade on that day.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
I am in shock that those dim witted, short sighted legislatures would turn this deal down.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 PM

144 posts, read 295,992 times
If a pretty girl says she wants to dance, you buy her the top shelf drink in the house and make sure you do not step on her toes.

Pretty girls get what they want and so do huge corps like Amazon or they just go away.

We give them what they want because they make us look better and have a tangible benefit even if the upkeep is expensive.

The government finding a way to snatch 1200 jobs from the hands of people who desperately need it, in a state that desperately needs it is unpardonable....Going back on your word to do it. PRICELESS!

This all smacks of a new governor trying to make a name for herself. This also reminds me of the garbage that Mark Sandford pulled the first month he got into office and all but sunk the CU/ICAR deal in order to benefit his low country development buddies.

As a side note. The No votes from Greenville and Charleston have more to do with future political firepower more than anything. Most people in this state outside of the Columbia metro have not heard about and have no interest in Amazon locating in Columbia, it just does not directly impact them. So this was easy political capital come election time for Reps from Charleston and Greenville.

"Representative so and so voted down giving big corporations a free ride"
The ad will read, or something to that effect.

Anyway..this was a MONSTER fustercluck and they should all be commended on keeping South Carolin's reputation of backwards and inept in tact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area