Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,773 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband just got a year-long job in downtown Columbia that starts this August. Our family currently resides in the San Francisco bay area, and we want to rent a house and get everything squared away before we make the move.

It feels pretty strange to be house hunting in a place I've never been, but I'm really looking forward to the adventure. Any advice you have would be truly appreciated.

It seems like there are many nice homes for rent near the downtown area, but I'm going entirely off what I see on the Internet, which is unsettling. We want to live as close to the US District Court (at Richland and Assembly) as possible; something within walking or biking distance would be ideal. But it's likewise important that the area be safe and accommodating for a young family with an infant. It's my impression that the Melrose Heights neighborhood is a good bet. In fact, the whole 29205 zip seems nice. Do you agree? Also, am I being realistic about the walking/biking option? Is this a pedestrian-friendly kind of place?

We're looking to rent a home with 2 or 3 bedrooms for something around $1,000 a month. Additionally, we love good food -- cooking it, in particular. Which areas have the best restaurants and what will our options be as far as grocery shopping? Does Columbia have any farmer's markets or similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,497,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliToCola View Post
Hi there,

My husband just got a year-long job in downtown Columbia that starts this August. Our family currently resides in the San Francisco bay area, and we want to rent a house and get everything squared away before we make the move.

It feels pretty strange to be house hunting in a place I've never been, but I'm really looking forward to the adventure. Any advice you have would be truly appreciated.

It seems like there are many nice homes for rent near the downtown area, but I'm going entirely off what I see on the Internet, which is unsettling. We want to live as close to the US District Court (at Richland and Assembly) as possible; something within walking or biking distance would be ideal. But it's likewise important that the area be safe and accommodating for a young family with an infant. It's my impression that the Melrose Heights neighborhood is a good bet. In fact, the whole 29205 zip seems nice. Do you agree? Also, am I being realistic about the walking/biking option? Is this a pedestrian-friendly kind of place?

We're looking to rent a home with 2 or 3 bedrooms for something around $1,000 a month. Additionally, we love good food -- cooking it, in particular. Which areas have the best restaurants and what will our options be as far as grocery shopping? Does Columbia have any farmer's markets or similar?
Melrose Heights is a possibility as is Elmwood Park, which is very close to where your husband will be working. The elementary school for Elmwood Park is very good, but the middle and high school are not as good. Melrose, Rosewood, Shandon, Wales Garden and nearby neighborhoods would have good schools all the way through. Are you only considering single family homes or would apartment buildings be a possibility too? The latter neighborhoods have better proximity (walking/biking) to nice restaurants, shopping and groceries too.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 AM

Thank you! In light of your advice, I think I'll begin my search by focusing on Melrose, Rosewood, Shandon and Wales Garden. Did I understand correctly that those constitute the "latter neighborhoods" that are pretty close to what we're looking for?

Also, how would you describe Elmwood? What are the pros of living there beyond the fact that it's so close to where we need to be?

We'll only be staying in the city for a year, so schools aren't a concern (he's just a teeny baby), but it's nice to know which of these places are likely to attract families. A house is definitely preferred over an apartment or anything with shared walls.

I'm really looking forward to spending the next year getting to know your town. Thanks for helping us get off on the right foot.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,581,513 times
Elmwood Park is a neighborhood of old homes that have been preserved and rehabbed. You would be content living there, I think. As far as walking is concerned, Elmwood residents feel cut off from the downtown area by Elmwood Avenue and are raising money to turn an old train track corridor into a walkway from Elmwood to the Vista, but the neighborhood within itself is very walkable and super charming. Elmwood would be within easy walking distance to Assembly and Richland. Melrose Heights is within relatively easy biking distance, and there are sidewalks nonstop all the way, but parts of the that trek would be undesirable. Any of the neighborhoods mentioned would be within quick driving distance to all areas of downtown for good eating. I see a San Francisco girl as being most at home in Elmwood Park while here. Publix grocery store would be a four- to five-minute drive from there depending on traffic lights. Careful - you just might stay.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Columbiadata, if the people out there are half as helpful and kind as you and Waccamatt, I think we just might find ourselves staying.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,581,513 times
We love to please our guests.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:26 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,253,568 times
Quote:
Columbiadata, if the people out there are half as helpful and kind as you and Waccamatt, I think we just might find ourselves staying.
Just wait til you get here. You won't believe how pleasant and polite the majority of the people are. They'll be as nice to you as you let them.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you! In light of your advice, I think I'll begin my search by focusing on Melrose, Rosewood, Shandon and Wales Garden. Did I understand correctly that those constitute the "latter neighborhoods" that are pretty close to what we're looking for?

Also, how would you describe Elmwood? What are the pros of living there beyond the fact that it's so close to where we need to be?

We'll only be staying in the city for a year, so schools aren't a concern (he's just a teeny baby), but it's nice to know which of these places are likely to attract families. A house is definitely preferred over an apartment or anything with shared walls.

I'm really looking forward to spending the next year getting to know your town. Thanks for helping us get off on the right foot.
Yes, those are the neighborhoods I was referring to and you can add University Hill (east side of campus) to that list, too. Elmwood is the oldest of the neighborhoods mentioned as it was developed in the first decade of the 20th century. The advantages to Melrose, Shandon, Rosewood and Wales Garden is the proximity to shopping. The advantage of Elmwood Park is proximity to work, but none of those neighborhoods are far from either. You could also rent a townhouse in the Vista and be close to everything. You wouldn't find many single family homes in the Vista, though.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Just wait til you get here. You won't believe how pleasant and polite the majority of the people are. They'll be as nice to you as you let them.
I think you just stated in a nutshell why I love Columbia so much...the people are generally down-to-earth and welcoming and it isn't affected like it is in some places, it's genuine.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM

191 posts, read 501,028 times
I'd say Shandon area for sure. There are smaller subsets of shandon including melrose heights etc etc. Basically South of Devine, North of Rosewood. Just be carefull not to get too far west close to 5points. If you go south of rosewood, just don't go too south. I'm on the fringe and there are some questionably characters around the hood sometimes.

I'm a transplant too. Lived in California for a while actually. Be prepared for Culture shock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area