Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Well, that it was. I stand corrected. I had forgotten: I was just having some fun with a quote. Funny how a post about a store official saying Columbia has more natural amenities than Greenville turned into another debate about the two cities' downtowns. I would have thought the initial defensive response would be something like the Reedy River is superior to the Congaree or Lake Hartwell is much closer to Greenville than people realize. Could it be that the frequent City-data Greenvillain offender(s) perceive that the only thing Greenville has over Columbia is its Main Street and a few chains? After all, Columbia is so much closer to that natural amenity called the ocean. At any rate the thread got off topic immediately. Par for the course.
I think a lot of that goes without saying. I mean, have you really compared how the two cities have capitalized on their rivers? Despite Greenville's being MUCH smaller, it has capitalized on it in a MUCH bigger way. Trail systems: this goes to Greenville as well, despite Greenville having started after the Columbia area on this vision, it has surpassed it in length and most likely popularity, but I've yet to see hard facts on use for Cola's. The best natural amenity that Columbia has is heat. It definitely tops the state in this category that often convinces people to stay inside. I have a feeling that the "famously hot" campaign played a big role in attracting Mast. That's one thing Columbia didn't have 10 years ago...

I'm not sure why you continue to bait for such comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,733,766 times
You don't need anything but a pair of walking shoes to walk Columbia's nine miles of walkways along the riverfront. You can get those at a shoe store.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
You don't need anything but a pair of walking shoes to walk Columbia's nine miles of walkways along the riverfront. You can get those at a shoe store.
what about a few bucks for the homeless?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 AM

257 posts, read 327,486 times
Homeless people don't hang out along the greenway.

From what I've seen thus far in my short time on this board, most of the baiting is coming from Greenville folks. You can't expect those who live here to not shoot back sometimes. It seems very odd to me as I've never known people in Greenville to be so infatuated with what's going on in Columbia either good or bad and this phenomenon has yet to be explained to me. It seems to go far beyond a general interest in statewide issues.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
Well I think the title of the thread was kinda baiting this type of reaction.

In my opinion Columbia is never going to have a pristine and clean and wholesome downtown area and I do not think that is a bad thing. I love Greenville and its downtown, I have been there working or for fun on a daily basis for the last 15 years and it is a special place with a great vibe. I think downtown Columbia has it own vibe and its a little gritty but I think it has loads of potential.

I see a great opportunity for more live music in downtown Columbia..something along the lines of an Orange Peel in Ashville and maybe just a little bigger. I think it could pull in some great artist and performers for plays with all the young creative energy in Columbia.

The main thing is getting feet on the street on a regular basis. I think Mass General will make that happen so its a good thing and who knows what kind of environment will grow out of that.

Every city has its own feel and I think somewhere along the way Columbia let that go. I really do hope it can find it again as having another vibrant downtown option in a hour and half drive would be great for the state.

OK I see... certainly everyone has varying perspectives.. I would consider the Vista to be more "gritty" because of its history of an industrial area with remnants of railroads, warehouses etc though Main Street is certainly more "urban" in its feel because of the buildings, streetscape and other nuiances/nusances (depending on your perspective) associated with urban life.

Columbia's downtown appears to be much further away from the river than Greenville's...likely because the Congaree was viewed more as a source of electrical power/industry/public utilities since it was not viable for an inland port for shipping, travel, and commerce...which likely led to the rise of its use for railroads and its evolution into an industrial area. The placement of the Capitol Building on the bluffs above likely also pulled the business district away from the River.. If Huger Street were "main street" Columbia would have an entirely different feel along the river than it does today. Its current evolution as a Greenway, will be a nice addition though

Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I think a lot of that goes without saying. I mean, have you really compared how the two cities have capitalized on their rivers? Despite Greenville's being MUCH smaller, it has capitalized on it in a MUCH bigger way. Trail systems: this goes to Greenville as well, despite Greenville having started after the Columbia area on this vision, it has surpassed it in length and most likely popularity, but I've yet to see hard facts on use for Cola's. The best natural amenity that Columbia has is heat. It definitely tops the state in this category that often convinces people to stay inside. I have a feeling that the "famously hot" campaign played a big role in attracting Mast. That's one thing Columbia didn't have 10 years ago...

I'm not sure why you continue to bait for such comparisons.
Not sure why you take the bait and provide weak comparisons. The river in Greenville crosses Main St in the middle on town. Columbia's river runs parallel with downtown many blocks from Main St. That does not mean that Columbia can not do more to incorporate the river into town, and has plans to do so but, it is an entirely different scenario. Using you logic, one in Columbia could ask why Greenville lags other metros in SC in terms of growth given that it is in the middle of two of the largest metros in the south and between two of the fastest growing metros in the country. Is Greenville County even in the top 5 for growth?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
Homeless people don't hang out along the greenway.

From what I've seen thus far in my short time on this board, most of the baiting is coming from Greenville folks. You can't expect those who live here to not shoot back sometimes. It seems very odd to me as I've never known people in Greenville to be so infatuated with what's going on in Columbia either good or bad and this phenomenon has yet to be explained to me. It seems to go far beyond a general interest in statewide issues.
I can't answer your question as to why, I have the same question. But, if you look on here, on UP and on other forums, the same group has bashed Columbia for years. You simply can not talk about development with most of the Greenville crowd because it always comes back to Greenville is better. Even though demographics, statistics and growth rates say otherwise, Greenville seems to be better than Columbia, Charleston, Raleigh and Charlotte. It has also been said that Whole Foods located in Greenville before Charlotte because it is a superior market, interesting.....

Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,748 times
Wow! So this is what happens when a store decides to locate to Columbia instead of G-ville. And someone actually brought up SWA. That horse has not only been beaten, its been ground up and made into checkers/rally's burgers. Yum, Yum, Yummy?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:54 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Wow! So this is what happens when a store decides to locate to Columbia instead of G-ville. And someone actually brought up SWA. That horse has not only been beaten, its been ground up and made into checkers/rally's burgers. Yum, Yum, Yummy?
Not the case in this situation. Mast General Store has been in Greenville for years now: http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/Comm...s/gv/index.cfm

Last edited by g-man430; 04-29-2011 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,748 times
Excuse me the comments of the Mast General Exec has you a little frazzled. Ha Ha. I really don't care. It's just some of the posts are sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area