Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The building you are talking about housed the Elite Epicurean a long time ago and then LaVecchia's. LaVecchia's owner got in over his head. Different night clubs have been there since then, and the last one was closed down because the clientele didn't know how to behave.

The former Capitol Newsstand is a gift shop that has done well, and I read a few weeks ago that the CEO of City Center Partnership expects First Citizens to make an announcement soon about the Capital Restaurant building. There are nice-looking positive things to focus on along Main Street currently, though.

As for Lexington people who for some reason love to say there's no reason to come to downtown Columbia, they are just local yokos who don't want to admit Columbia has anything to offer. Columbia has endured decades of nay-saying, no matter what it has done or planned. We'll see how much longer negative people will be able to drag the Capital City down.
While I cannot directly speak about all 8, I know some of them have lived in NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, LA, Houston TX, Charleston SC, Columbus OH, Pittsburg PA, Miami, Cleveland OH, Madison WI, Austin TX, Greenville SC, etc.

Local yokos...I do not think so. These are the type people that "upper market" businesses scream/beg for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:36 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Been reading this whole chat chain with interest but I admit I just went online to look at what Mast sells.

As much as I am sorry to say, but with what they sell, their prices (actually fair for those products), and being located in a downtown Columbia location, I believe in the long run (less then two years), they will fail. I think Columbia could support a Mast store, but not in that location.

Easy to spot pioneers. They are the ones with arrows in their backs.
Time will tell, but I think Mast will be okay. I'd wager to say that I'm as familiar with their business model as anyone on this board, and I think they can do pretty well from the in-town crowd, the university, and folks who are willing to make the trip. There are people who avoid the city center in any metro. While those are ideal customers (because they have bucks to spend), the semi-earthy feel of mast is probably better suited for exactly the sort of clientele who wouldn't gripe about having to make a 20 minute drive and street-park.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:34 PM

257 posts, read 327,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
While I cannot directly speak about all 8, I know some of them have lived in NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, LA, Houston TX, Charleston SC, Columbus OH, Pittsburg PA, Miami, Cleveland OH, Madison WI, Austin TX, Greenville SC, etc.

Local yokos...I do not think so. These are the type people that "upper market" businesses scream/beg for.
I know downtown Columbia doesn't offer nearly as much as most of those cities, but it does sound as though the folks you were referring to are typical suburbanites who simply prefer to live most of their lives in the suburbs. They exist everywhere, even in the metropolitan areas of major cities.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:31 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Columbia needs more residents along Main Street... that being said did the old Barringer Building on Washington and Main Street ever become an apartment building??? I was over at the Sheraton Rooftop (really nice bar by the way) and happen to notice it.. but couldnt remember if that had occurred or not. Does anyone know the number of residential units on main and/or the occupancy rate? I wonder if this is the demographic (along with Shandon and Elmwood Park) that Mast's is targeting??? I have wondered why the vista has alot of outdoor eating places (along Gervais) as opposed to Main Street. I would much rather sit on Main Street and dine than along Gervais listening to all the harley's and bass thumping cars lol

Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM

12,901 posts, read 18,751,931 times
I actually like the rush of Gervais whether dining inside or out. The Barringer building is apartments. The last article I read that mentioned the number of residents above Main Street had the figure in the 225-250 range. Mast General targets regions.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 AM

257 posts, read 327,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I have wondered why the vista has alot of outdoor eating places (along Gervais) as opposed to Main Street.
It's because the Vista was revitalized first and those old buildings make nice locations for restaurants. Main Street was always more centered on retail which is why department stores had a presence on Main up until the 90's. Now that Main is staging a comeback, I think you'll start to see more restaurants popping up but it will always be better suited for retail in my opinion.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 PM

My partner and I ate at Jason's Deli today for lunch. I will say it was quite good. I picked a seat that afforded two views of Gervais Street. I don't know why, on a Tuesday at lunch in the Vista, but there were gobs of young people dressed very casually walking up and down the sidewalk, many of them coming to Jason's. There was a line the whole time we were there. The developers have done a good job with the building. The layout of the restaurant is very deep.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
My partner and I ate at Jason's Deli today for lunch. I will say it was quite good. I picked a seat that afforded two views of Gervais Street. I don't know why, on a Tuesday at lunch in the Vista, but there were gobs of young people dressed very casually walking up and down the sidewalk, many of them coming to Jason's. There was a line the whole time we were there. The developers have done a good job with the building. The layout of the restaurant is very deep.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
You supported a national chain restaurant!

I haven't been to Jason's Deli in years since local places like Greenfield's, Two Chefs, and Soby's on the Side opened. I remember thinking JD's food was average deli fare, but I'll have to try them again after reading your positive review.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

I haven't been to Jason's Deli in years since local places like Greenfield's, Two Chefs, and Soby's on the Side opened. I remember thinking JD's food was average deli fare, but I'll have to try them again after reading your positive review.
I like Jason's Deli. I have always enjoyed their food, and appreciate their commitment to having an entire menu free of trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, and MSG. Many of their items are organic too.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

To be honest I really just wanted to try out the venue and check out the premises and the surrounding buildings from the new vantage point. I always do that when something new opens, partly to imagine what I might think about the overall experience if I had never been to Columbia. It's harder to do that at places I've been to a lot that have been around for a long time. Yes, I'm strange. Another place I did that recently was Mojito's, also on Gervais Street. I sat down there and the first thing I noticed besides the fast-paced traffic and pedestrians just outside was the beautiful old facade of the Mellow Mushroom building just across the street. It felt like I was in Philadelphia or New York. Mojito's is local and uniquely Cuban-American, so I've been back there several times already since it opened. The owner is a wonderful lady who comes to your table and talks to you. She makes the desserts. But Jason's did taste good. I had the Santa Fe chicken sandwich and baked chips. It certainly was loud, though.

I've strayed from the topic - sorry.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 05-11-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area