U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 AM

9,482 posts, read 13,178,180 times

Advertisements

More natural amenities...

The company vice president said Columbia's vibrant Vista and Five Points helped sell them on locating in Columbia this time, but that amenities such as the rivers, the lake, Congaree National Park and Fort Jackson were just as important as the vibrancy in their decision, and that the area's myriad natural resource amenities weren't presented to them as selling points 10 years ago.

Columbia believes in itself now.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,841,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

The company vice president said Columbia's vibrant Vista and Five Points helped sell them on locating in Columbia this time, but that amenities such as the rivers, the lake, Congaree National Park and Fort Jackson were just as important as the vibrancy in their decision, and that the area's myriad natural resource amenities weren't presented to them as selling points 10 years ago.
That, plus $2 million in stimulus dollars.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,156,926 times
It's great that they see so much potential for Columbia. Hopefully it's realized!

In the article, the thing they don't compare is the set up of Greenville and Columbia and how they differed. Columbia has vacant storefronts, yes, but they also have occupied corporate space that will not soon be converted to retail space. The opportunity to create synergy is less ready when large gaps in activity are caused by glass office space and stone. Will they be successful? I'm sure. Will it create the same kind of activity and spin off as Greenville saw? Can't say, but Greenville doesn't seem like a good case study Columbia.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
And that was before the mayor and city council's field trip to Greenville to see how Greenville used public-private partnerships to develop their downtown.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM

257 posts, read 245,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I thought I remember reading somewhere on this message board that some kind of development in Greenville was using a similar type of financing?

Edit: found it New seven story mixed use development announced for downtown Greenville.

Wow, this one is using $16 million in taxpayer dollars for a swanky condo project in downtown to lower the rents? That sounds a bit odd.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM

7,994 posts, read 10,916,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

Columbia believes in itself now.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
So happy to see the Columbia growing up!!! Proud of Columbia!! I WANT a largest city and state cap I can be proud of!

Congratulations!

The bar is set and Columbia believes in itself now, so now lets see a great future. Lets see Southwest or Jet Blue, lets see great retail like Whole Foods, lets see a great industry cluster happen, lets see an unmatched quality of life take hold, lets see other cities send delegations to Columbia to study how Columbia has done things.

Go guys! The whole state is pulling for you!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post

Wow, this one is using $16 million in taxpayer dollars for a swanky condo project in downtown to lower the rents? That sounds a bit odd.
Those "swanky condos" are actually below-market rent apartments.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 PM

257 posts, read 245,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Those "swanky condos" are actually below-market rent apartments.
Because of the $16 million in taxpayer-backed dollars. I thought I just said that.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
So happy to see the Columbia growing up!!! Proud of Columbia!! I WANT a largest city and state cap I can be proud of!

Congratulations!

The bar is set and Columbia believes in itself now, so now lets see a great future. Lets see Southwest or Jet Blue, lets see great retail like Whole Foods, lets see a great industry cluster happen, lets see an unmatched quality of life take hold, lets see other cities send delegations to Columbia to study how Columbia has done things.

Go guys! The whole state is pulling for you!
New tactic, huh? I'll give you the lagging development on Main Street angle, but trendy chains in place of quality local merchandise will never be a mark of growing up. Also, Columbia's Main Street never completely died in the 60's and 70' as many other southern cities' downtowns did, nor in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. It's current status will make for quite a springboard for any company looking to locate there. And for a change of pace or a continuation of a night on the town, the Vista and Five Points will still be there when Main is hot again. And the SWA argument is just tired and silly.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
Because of the $16 million in taxpayer-backed dollars. I thought I just said that.
Right, but they're not being marketed to the swanky class, nor will they be those "swanky condos" that you referred to. Resultantly, they're addressing a shortage of affordable housing downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area