Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,387 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've enjoyed reading the posts in this forum, I am relocating from Maine very soon and am finding the information here very useful! I have been looking into apartments to visit when I am in the Columbia area in two weeks and have fallen in (internet) love with the Kress Building at 1502 Main St. Does anyone have any information about this area of town or any impressions you have picked up about this building and rental company? Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you!

EDIT: This is a link to the company website, Capitol Places. http://www.capitolplaces.com

Last edited by Evelyn D; 05-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
I've been in those apartments and they are very nice. They are in the heart of downtown and a few blocks from the Vista entertainment district (about a mile from 5 Points). They are next door to several restaurants and the White Mule (live music) is next door. It is also across the street from the Columbia Museum of Art. I'm sure they have parking available at one of the garages, but I don't know for sure.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Are you familiar with Lexington? I am wondering if there are any similar places for rent and am having a hard time researching them from here. I am looking for a more historic place with some character, which is why I want to live in Columbia. My other half would prefer something outside of the city setting so maybe there is a happy medium? We have family moving to Lexington at this same time, so I thought maybe that could be a nice area.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Evelyn

I am sorry to say but I personally would/could not recommend living in downtown. Like it or not, downtown is ghost town at night. While I would say it is not "dangerous" per sic, I think we can all agree is is not the safest part of the city and it might well be the most boring part of the city.

Yaa...yaa....the Vista and 5 Points are close....but I would not recommend a casual stroll to either place late at night from 1500 Main Street.......LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 05-04-2011 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM

55 posts, read 129,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn D View Post
Are you familiar with Lexington? I am wondering if there are any similar places for rent and am having a hard time researching them from here. I am looking for a more historic place with some character, which is why I want to live in Columbia. My other half would prefer something outside of the city setting so maybe there is a happy medium? We have family moving to Lexington at this same time, so I thought maybe that could be a nice area.
If you want something with history and character without being right on Main St., it's possible to find nice houses for rent in the downtown neighborhoods (probably $1000-$1500 per month for something in really good shape, or much cheaper for something more college oriented). Columbia has some very cute downtown neighborhoods that are very livable, but pretty much from anywhere you live in the metro (except maybe the condos in the Vista) you're going to have to drive for typical groceries, retail, dining, etc. I can't think of a grocery store that's anywhere around 1500 Main, but the Vista has a Publix. Driving is really easy here though, with huge streets and not much traffic except for I-26 and the Harbison/Irmo area.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Evelyn

I am sorry to say but I personally would/could not recommend living in downtown. Like it or not, downtown is ghost town at night. While I would say it is not "dangerous" per sic, I think we can all agree is is not the safest part of the city and it might well be the most boring part of the city.

Yaa...yaa....the Vista and 5 Points are close....but I would not recommend a casual stroll to either place late at night from 1500 Main Street.......LOL

Oh really! Good to know! I had just assumed it was like every other city.. busy I wouldn't want to live somewhere that is generally... empty? at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCola View Post
If you want something with history and character without being right on Main St., it's possible to find nice houses for rent in the downtown neighborhoods (probably $1000-$1500 per month for something in really good shape, or much cheaper for something more college oriented). Columbia has some very cute downtown neighborhoods that are very livable, but pretty much from anywhere you live in the metro (except maybe the condos in the Vista) you're going to have to drive for typical groceries, retail, dining, etc. I can't think of a grocery store that's anywhere around 1500 Main, but the Vista has a Publix. Driving is really easy here though, with huge streets and not much traffic except for I-26 and the Harbison/Irmo area.
Are there any neighborhoods you could recommend? I guess I am trying to get a name of a neighborhood or two as a jumping off point. What is Publix?

Its funny, I searched this forum for "historical" etc and didn't find anyone else looking for the same thing! Thank you both for taking the time to respond!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
There are plenty of parts of the downtown area that are busy at night and that section of Main Street is hardly dead at night - it is adjacent to the White Mule and Hampton Street Vineyard, across the street from the Marriott and a block from the Sheraton. I was at the Sheraton Rooftop last Friday niht and it was overflowing.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Evelyn

This post is behind the times on what downtown Columbia (Main Street) now is. Who would want a bunch of nightlife under their apartment at night anyway? There are well over 200 people living above Main Street with 28 more apartments opening in July. There are also a Sheraton and a Marriott on the same block there. Add the restaurants and bars that are open in the evening and this is hardly the makings of a "ghost town." And the Nickelodeon Theater and Mast General Store will be opening side by side this spring and summer.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,411 times
Quote:
Evelyn

I had to weigh in on this, I've lived on Main St. on the 1400 block for three years now. It is definately not a ghost town at night. It is less populated at night than the Vista, but I do casually stroll down there on a regular basis and feel safe doing so. I walk to the Publix for groceries at night pretty often. The downtown renewal of Columbia is a new thing and my guess is that ten or maybe five years ago it would not have been safe to walk around downtown at night. A lot of people (that live in the suburbs) still have the perception that it isn't safe. That said, anything can happen and it is always a good idea to keep your wits about you and also hide your GPS accessories when you leave your car parked. There are also quite a few homeless people around that will ask you for money, but they are mostly friendly and nice about it. The good news is, as I've lived here, more restaurants and bars have opened up on this street and it's only getting safer. There are also "yellow shirts" patrolling the streets until 11 pm. They are private security/helpful people who give directions, give rides in jeeps around downtown and have a direct line to the police.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:55 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
It's not nice to pick on downtown Columbia when the news reveals most of the violence going on these days is out in the counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area