Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times

Advertisements

Surveillance photos show suspects in brutal Five Points beating - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

White man beaten by a gang of black thugs:

[quote]After the assault, Scott said Strange managed to make it a block down the road to Edisto Avenue, where a passerby found him two hours later and called 9-1-1. The victim was taken to a local hospital, where he is still in critical condition. MOD EDIT

Yeppers. Columbia is perfectly safe and open for business.

[/sarc]

Uh huh. Try and convince out-of-towners that it's safe.

Last edited by linicx; 07-18-2011 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Surveillance photos show suspects in brutal Five Points beating - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

[/sarc]

I think everyone has known this about Five Points for a while... yes?

Last edited by linicx; 07-18-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:

[/sarc]

Seriously....this is a thread????? Nice of you to use a beating as a way to bash a city. Why?

Did anyone from Columbia post about the person getting stabbed on Main St in Greenville? Or did anyone post about the lady who left her baby in a bathroom at the Bi Lo center?

Threads like this have little value.

Last edited by linicx; 07-18-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just trying to point out some obvious public safety issues, here.

Go ahead and mislead people about the public safety issues in Columbia. I sure will not, especially after what me and my wife went through when we lived in that (horrible) place.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just trying to point out some obvious public safety issues, here.

Go ahead and mislead people about the public safety issues in Columbia. I sure will not, especially after what me and my wife went through when we lived in that (horrible) place.
Based on your post, I sure that is what you are trying to do. Do things happen in Columbia, just like any city yes. There was a shooting on 3rd St in Charlotte, does that make it unsafe.......ask the 70k+ workers and 15k residents. Things happen everywhere, you just have to be aware of where you are. But, using a post where someone was badly hurt to try and frame an entire city is pointless. Sorry you did not like it, but, others do as evidenced by the growth rates.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Did anyone from Columbia post about the person getting stabbed on Main St in Greenville? Or did anyone post about the lady who left her baby in a bathroom at the Bi Lo center?
I did even though I don't live in Columbia: Man stabbed on Main Street in downtown Greenville. and The top story on CNN.com when this thread was created is...

Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
That's the point, I don't see Columbia residents post these events on Greenville boards, and if they do, then it is just as wrong. Things like this should not happen and it is sad for any city. It is in very poor taste to use events like this as a way to bash a city just because you don't like it.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
If it's a random crime, that's a concern. At least to me. In most crimes those involved know each other. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
The problem with Five Points is the fact that this is NOT a one time random crime. What about all the shootings that have happen in the Five Points area.....something like 3 or 4 in one year.

On another note, shouldn't this be considered a "hate crime"? If white men had beaten a black guy it would have been, so seems black men beating a white guy, it should be as well.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I think everyone has known this about Five Points for a while... yes?
I had no idea. If it's such a bad area, then why is it quickly highlighted as a benefit to new posters here when they come asking for suggestions?

As someone said, though, this doesn't represent an entire city. On paper, I think the crime in Sumter is much worse than Columbia. It's listed as the 7th most violent/dangerous metro in the US, and a few times over the last 5-10 years it has been 3rd, behind Memphis & Detroit. However, it's very rare that I find myself in a situation where I feel uncomfortable, but I kind of know what/where to avoid. Then again, even the main/public areas are starting to get bad as there have been drive-bys at IHOP, McDonalds, Bojangles and I think another place in the last year.

But it does make me feel better about taking the CCW course this weekend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area