Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 AM

257 posts, read 327,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Would you disagree that most of it isn't?
What do any of those things I stated have to do with state government or USC? How are Riverbanks Zoo, our three river, Lake Murray, Congaree National Forest, Trustus Theater, Nickelodeon Theater, etc. related to USC or state government? Answer: they aren't.

Plus, we have options related to USC and government, unlike you, I don't see that as a negative. Like I said, we have a little bit of something here for everybody. Lots of people love college towns and the energy and vibe they offer. I love the fact that USC has a baseball team that are back-to-back CWS champions. I love the Belser Arboretum and the McKissick Museum. I love the state museum. We have those options, but to say that everything or even most options we have are government or USC related is just flat-out wrong. Like I said, you don't live here so you're not really knowledgeable about all of our options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Tealover, I read your original post and couldn't help immediately thinking of Charleston. It has the richest historical, cultural, and architectural appeal in the state, not to mention a greater quantity of quality retail options for affluent residents and visitors alike. It is a preferred location for many newcomers, but others (myself included) prefer it as a distant vacation destination rather than a permanent home. The reasons include its large tourist population and coastal geography. I am more attracted by mountains than the sea, and I prefer a hometown less populated by transient/seasonal residents.

Each of the cities recommended in this thread so far offer everything you have declared interest in. I strongly encourage you and your husband to spend time in each place prior to formulating a perception based on other people's opinions. First-hand experience, even if for a short moment, is invaluable when searching for the right answer to such an important question (about relocation). Each place comes with added geographical benefits as well. Charleston is located in a bay on the Atlantic Coast and is near other attractive coastal cities, towns, and islands. Columbia is located at the outer edge of the piedmont, at the confluence of two large rivers, and is centrally located between the mountains and the sea. Greenville is located very near the Blue Ridge Mountains, which are full of natural attractions like waterfalls and rocky cliffs. The city is also blessed to have a rare waterfall in the heart of its pedestrian-friendly downtown, intimately surrounded by lovely parks and gardens, which are connected by paved paths and nature trails. Greenville residents enjoy easy access to the western NC mountains, including Asheville (and numerous other quaint mountain villages, like Highlands), and the larger cities along I-85.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
What do any of those things I stated have to do with state government or USC? How are Riverbanks Zoo, our three river, Lake Murray, Congaree National Forest, Trustus Theater, Nickelodeon Theater, etc. related to USC or state government? Answer: they aren't.

Plus, we have options related to USC and government, unlike you, I don't see that as a negative. Like I said, we have a little bit of something here for everybody. Lots of people love college towns and the energy and vibe they offer. I love the fact that USC has a baseball team that are back-to-back CWS champions. I love the Belser Arboretum and the McKissick Museum. I love the state museum. We have those options, but to say that everything or even most options we have are government or USC related is just flat-out wrong. Like I said, you don't live here so you're not really knowledgeable about all of our options.
Ok, you're right and I just completely lied. You win! Lol

Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
I love Columbia because of the people, the neighborhoods and the large number of colleges and universities. People in Columbia tend to be very down to earth and it is also a well educated and relatively young populace due to the large number of colleges and universities. Columbia is also a city of beautiful in-town neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealover View Post
Accufitgolf, Thanks for your reply! Could you say more about that?
I am sure others will take care of that as this discussion goes on and on.......LOL

A few notes about myself:

1. I am a Yankee that his lived around the US (East Coast, Midwest, West Coast) and overseas.
2. My wife was born and raised in Columbia and is a USC Graduate.
3. I have spent 3-4 weeks a year in SC for the last 30 years.
4. We fully retired to Charleston, SC in 2002.
5. I visited Greenville a few times, enjoyed my time there, but have never lived there.
6. We presently own homes in Columbia (Lexington) and Charleston (Mount Pleasant). We have decided to sell the home in Charleston and consolidate here as her family is here. We argue still discussing (argueing) about what goes and what stays.......LOL

An aside story. Years ago my father-in-law took great pride in showing me the Christmas card he received each year from Storm Thurmond. I would counter with our yearly Christmas card from Eunice Kennedy Shriver. We would then stop talking politics (and religion) as we were on opposites ends of those spectrums....LOL

Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM

29 posts, read 69,457 times
Pal, thanks for the info about crime, & for further elaborating on Columbia's attractions! The opportunities for fun sound plentiful!

Skyliner, seems we like a lot of the same things! Thank you for describing the cities in such detail. They do each sound quite different, and I can see how each could be a wonderful place to live!

Waccamatt, I appreciate your insights. Sounds lovely...!

Accufitgolf, your retirement sounds delightful. I assume you play golf? I live on a golf course, on the 18th hole (I don't play...however I do enjoy the vista!)

Living in Charleston must have been wonderful. Now you live in Columbia, and seem quite content (even though the extent and description of which belongings will ultimately accompany you there is still in dispute!)

How nice that you and your father-in-law can embrace one another's differences and remain cordial, even jovial, especially during the holidays!

All the posts are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, for taking the time to provide so much valuable feedback!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
You're welcome.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Teal

I think you understand. I am happy as a pig in mud here in SC. I prefer SC over other places I have lived simply for the weather and cost of living.

That all said, if the weather and cost of living were the same in the Chicago and/or Boston area I would move back to either in NY Minute.....LOL

Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM

I have a side note too. My father died when I was a baby, so I never knew him, but he was born in Columbia, SC! I know next to nothing about his side of the family, as his parents were both dead when I was born. I have a picture of his mother though, and goodness, do we look alike! This bit of my personal history would bring further meaning to my visit and exploration of Columbia!(My mother died when I was young too, so I had little chance to ask her about my father's family.)

Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Accufitgolf, I missed your last post! Pig in mud eh? That's good to hear.

Yes, I know what you mean about the energy and excitement of northern cities. I liked living in NY and PA except for the weather. I don't ever want to go back to shoveling and dealing with snow again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area