Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to SC. We both are interested in golfing, swimming and walking. I came across the Coldstream neighborhood and was wondering what the neighborhood is like and if you can tell me any other neighborhoods in the area with the same attractions.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianh View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to SC. We both are interested in golfing, swimming and walking. I came across the Coldstream neighborhood and was wondering what the neighborhood is like and if you can tell me any other neighborhoods in the area with the same attractions.
Thank you
Wide range of styles and prices. Overall a good area. If you're looking at it strictly because of the course I wouldn't really take that into account. There are plenty of subdivisions in the area that would be similar. Any really good Realtor in the area can provide you with an MLS setup for homes that meet your needs. If you don't have one yet shoot me your email and what your needs in a home are in a PM and I'll take care of it for you.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianh View Post
Thank you
If looking at SC, I suggest you put Charleston and/or Greenville ahead of Columbia.

Watch me get flamed for that..LOL

Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
If looking at SC, I suggest you put Charleston and/or Greenville ahead of Columbia.

The reason you would get flamed is simple. If they wanted to consider Charleston or Greenville then they would have either posted in the South Carolina forum or mentioned that they were choosing between Columbia and other cities. Every time someone is considering Columbia, you do not have to post mentioning other cities and then act surprised when people start arguing with you.

To actually answer the OP's question: Coldstream is a nice neighborhood but there are many other neighborhoods that have all that listed and may be good choices for you. I've had friends who have lived in Wildewood and enjoyed that neighborhood. Are their any other considerations to take into account?

Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:

I am not going to "flame" you but, I think you are dead wrong. If I were to move from Charlotte back to SC, my first two choices would be Charleston and Columbia, in no particular order. Charleston is Charleston, not much needs to be said. But, Columbia has a nice vibe that is not present in other cities. It is not stuffy or does not pretend to be a "sophisticated" city. But, at the same time, it carries the highest education and income levels in the state. There is a quiet confidence that it does not need to prove to the world why it is great.

There are more available options in the city than most anyone will ever use (retail could be better but, I expect more announcements like Whole Foods over the next year) or need. Having a major research university in the city is worth more than anyone could put a price on. The university provides a ton of entertainment options even if you are not a Carolina fan.

So, to the original OP, you will read a lot of opinions on this board. For some in the Greenville delegation, it is a sport to bash Columbia. Some even sign in using many different names. But, overall, Columbia is a great place.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:08 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,483 times
I sure do get sick of reading comments about looking at Greenville or Charleston every time someone is considering a move to Columbia, especially when it is posted in the COLUMBIA section.

We are headed to Columbia this evening for a house hunting trip, and I can't wait! We'll be moving next month. I really don't understand the Columbia bashing. To each his own, I guess.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
The reason you would get flamed is simple. If they wanted to consider Charleston or Greenville then they would have either posted in the South Carolina forum or mentioned that they were choosing between Columbia and other cities. Every time someone is considering Columbia, you do not have to post mentioning other cities and then act surprised when people start arguing with you.

To actually answer the OP's question: Coldstream is a nice neighborhood but there are many other neighborhoods that have all that listed and may be good choices for you. I've had friends who have lived in Wildewood and enjoyed that neighborhood. Are their any other considerations to take into account?
The question asked was about moving to SC. You assumed Columbia, I did not be it in a Columbia Forum or not. That said. If one is interested in moving to SC I believe there are more interesting/exciting/overall nicer places then Columbia. If one "has" to move to Columbia (work, family, etc.) then it is a fine place. That said. I personally believe the Columbia area is not the "greatest" area in SC but if one does not have choices, then Columbia will do nicely.

As far as golf (and it was asked about), Coldstream Golf Club (now Rawls Creek Golf Club) has a very "checkered" past and presently is considered not one of the better golf clubs in the area.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
The question asked was about moving to SC. You assumed Columbia, I did not be it in a Columbia Forum or not. That said. If one is interested in moving to SC I believe there are more interesting/exciting/overall nicer places then Columbia. If one "has" to move to Columbia (work, family, etc.) then it is a fine place. That said. I personally believe the Columbia area is not the "greatest" area in SC but if one does not have choices, then Columbia will do nicely.

As far as golf (and it was asked about), Coldstream Golf Club (now Rawls Creek Golf Club) has a very "checkered" past and presently is considered not one of the better golf clubs in the area.
The point is, Columbia posters don't go into the Greenville forums and say that we just really don't believe Greenville is the best overall city to live in in SC. Why do we not go into those forums and say such things? Because we are comfortable with Columbia and are happy to be here, and we don't think in terms of looking for opportunities to point out what we perceive as unappealing aspects of Greenville in an effort to lure people away from Greenville to Columbia. Some people want to move to Columbia, not to Greenville. Live with it.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:

I didn't assume Columbia, if you reread the OP's topic on their first post it clearly says "Relocation to Columbia". It also asks for neighborhoods in the area and, correct me if I'm wrong, but Greenville and Charleston are a stretch in the neighborhood department. It is not your job to try and over-analyze people's posts. Maybe they do "have" to move to Columbia for one reason or another, in which case they will not appreciate you bringing up non-choices for them.

As for golf, which was asked about, I suggested a neighborhood that has a way better reputation from friends (Wildewood).

Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Wildewood also has a median price of about 400k compared to 150k in Coldstream. Very different price points.

I've lived in Clemson for 4 years, Fripp Island/HHI for 5, and in Columbia for 5. While not exactly in the city of Greenville or Charleston, I'd pick Columbia over either and it's just as safe as any of the other 2 and has just as much to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area