U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM

9,636 posts, read 13,801,578 times

Advertisements

Anglers are discovering Columbia as a hidden gem. They are coming from places like Daytona Beach and from as far away as the Netherlands to learn and practice the sport, right at the foot of downtown Columbia. The history of the river system, including General Sherman's destruction of a dam that sent rocks scattering to form the perfect place for trout to inhabit, comes alive on fly-fishing tours conducted by Michael Frank, a Long Island transplant who is living his dream as an angler and instructor in Columbia. He says in the Free Times today, "Right in the middle of an urban area; it's just amazing. There are only a few places left in the world that have this combination of game fish in one river system. It's what makes it world-class." Mr. Frank also teaches his clients the natural and political histories of the river system. South Carolina has provided striped bass to most US states and to several foreign countries over the last two or three decades from this area. Mr Frank's favorite spot is one from which you can see the downtown skyline, including the capitol dome. I know the spot. It's the spot where his goal of starting his own fly-fishing guide business hit him. One afternoon he was there admiring the Catawba lilies and skyline when it started raining and fish started jumping like crazy. When it stopped raining a rainbow came out downstream and he took it as a sign that it was time to start his guide business.

The Free Times goes on to explain how the area from the zoo to the Gervais Street bridge has exploded with eco-tourism, describing the people there as "a microcosm of Columbia's population - crowds of tatted-up rednecks, blacks, Hispanics, college kids and suburban families alike. I can't blame them for wanting to get out there; it's gorgeous. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people going down there every weekend. I've never seen as many people out there as there are now," says Stuart Greeter, the Congaree River keeper. (sounds kind of like Reedy Falls Park) Ninety percent of them, he says, care about the environment, and one of his duties is to lessen the impact of those who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM

648 posts, read 1,662,287 times
I used to go down there in the mid 90s and always had a great time. I was sort of disappointed by the trash, but other than that it was great. It'd be a group of friends, some inner tubes, dogs, and drinks..nothing like laying on the hot rocks after swimming in the cold water.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:12 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
yeah , there are some sketchy people that used to hang out down there on the river, and they occasionally get violent. maybe things have changed, though.

as far as the fishing... notice how they say it's the "perfect place for trout to inhabit." i'm pretty sure that they cannot spawn there, so someone (DNR?) has to pay for them to be stocked annually. i think it's great that someone has set up a little tourism industry around the river, though.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,230,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
as far as the fishing... notice how they say it's the "perfect place for trout to inhabit." i'm pretty sure that they cannot spawn there, so someone (DNR?) has to pay for them to be stocked annually. i think it's great that someone has set up a little tourism industry around the river, though.
The state tourism department should probably get onboard and get involved to help get the word out about this spot, as at the moment, looks like the mountain streams around Upstate are known for trout and the Lowcountry coastal flats are known for saltwater fly fishing. Link:
South Carolina Fly Fishing

Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,664,565 times
The water is too warm for trout to survive naturally anywhere below the mountains and foothills of the Upstate, so they are harvested at a hatchery and flown by chopper to the designated stocking areas downstate. If you live in the Eastern U.S. and are really into the sport of fly fishing for trout (as I am), then you are very likely most interested in finding the rare, native brookies hidden deep in cool mountain gorges.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM

6,186 posts, read 9,420,429 times
I wonder if you need a fishing license to go down there and fish? I am an Andy Griffith fan and good ole Andy got a hefty two dollar fine for not having one.

If the word gets out about this spots.. I am sure you will have to have one eventually. I guess all SC waterways are public??????....

Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,664,565 times
You are required by law to possess a state fishing license whenever you fish public water.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM

9,096 posts, read 18,092,912 times
I think they used to make an exception for cane poles...but you need to check with DNR Game Warden division.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM

9,636 posts, read 13,801,578 times
Even this thread has fallen victim to Upstate boosterism. It will never stop. One point of in the article is that Columbia has a secret gem. Let the tourists overrun and ruin the other areas.

Here's the article.

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?...12607114126351

Last edited by Charlestondata; 07-27-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,230,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The water is too warm for trout to survive naturally anywhere below the mountains and foothills of the Upstate, so they are harvested at a hatchery and flown by chopper to the designated stocking areas downstate. If you live in the Eastern U.S. and are really into the sport of fly fishing for trout (as I am), then you are very likely most interested in finding the rare, native brookies hidden deep in cool mountain gorges.
Interesting info. Sooo....that is why trout are not native to the Midlands region. Didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or