Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 09:53 AM

245 posts, read 200,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Yes it is, it’s in the Xchange food court which is open to the public, it’s just the shopping part that’s not. And it’s still there.

I stand corrected. I thought that Fort Jackson was closed to civilians, unless they had some connection to the military (spouses going to the commissary, etc.). Good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 10:16 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
I stand corrected. I thought that Fort Jackson was closed to civilians, unless they had some connection to the military (spouses going to the commissary, etc.). Good to know.
Well, it’s only closed rn because of COVID.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
To me Culver's and Freddies are VERY close in menu and burger style. There are a few in Orlando and I liked them.

I would love a Cheesecake Factory, a real guilty pleasure. Wish we had a Captain D's closer. Closest is at Two Notch and O'neal Ct. Heck, Long John Silver would be welcome.

I have to differ WRT Culver's and Freddy's. I find their burgers to be very different. They're both good, just prepared differently --- Freddy's does these very thin, crispy patties, that are delicious, whereas Culver's is more in the nature of a traditional burger. Both places do have cheese curds. I would like to see Culver's do Quebec-style poutine, they have "all the moving parts", fries, gravy, but the curds would have to be plain and not breaded. Freddy's fries wouldn't work, poutine or no poutine, I just don't care for them, I'll eat them if they're part of a meal, but they're far from my first preference.

What we REALLY need is an "old-school" Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips! ATFC was the gold standard for fish, Captain D's is slipping, and LJS is good while you're eating it, but leaves an aftertaste that's hard to describe. There are co-branded ATFC here and there, used to be in Chapin, that fizzled, may still be one in Pelion or thereabouts, may still be one in North Myrtle Beach. I've eaten at all three. The ratio of fish-to-batter is roughly reversed from the glory days of ATFC, now it is more like a big slice of fried batter with a teeny-weeny little piece of fish in the center. Totally wrong. And the co-branded ATFCs don't have those amazing, thick, serrated steak-fries-like potatoes, they just use Nathan's, not bad, just not the same. AFAIK the only free-standing ATFCs are in northern Ohio. If they were a bit closer, that could almost justify a road trip!

Maryland Fried Chicken is to the yardbird what ATFC is to fish, however, that would be a whole other thread. They still have it in Conway, MB, and, I think, Hartsville. Leaves KFC sucking air by comparison. (But honorable mention has to go to the buffet KFC in Bishopville. Well worth a pit stop.)

Old 09-12-2021, 03:46 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
I was not aware Arthur Treachers still exists as a stand alone brand. Will have to investigate if it is still similar to back in the day. I like to visit Kentucky and Ohio to visit brands such as Frisch's Big Boy, White Castle, Skyline Chili, Goldstar Chili, and Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken. Although there is a Lee's remaining in Rock Hill, but the Spartanburg location has closed.

Long John Silver's is no longer operated by KFC owner Yum Brands, and is no longer co-owned with A&W. The A&W is now separately owned and expanding again with stand alone stores. New locations are planned for Rock Hill and Gastonia.

Captn. D's used to be owned by Shoney's along with Lee's Famous Recipe, but no longer. And Shoney's is declining and not as popular as back in the day when they were the Big Boy franchise for the Southeast region. Shoney's was known for 1000 Island sauce on their burger whereas Frisch's uses a famous tartar sauce.

I do find Culver's and Freddy's similar with thin style burgers and custard style ice cream.

And one other legacy brand I enjoy is Roy Rogers which still exists in Virginia and Maryland where they were founded by Marriott who also operated Bob's Big Boy. The last Roy Rogers in Ohio closed near Cincy when the owner broke away from the franchise and became an independent Roney's. Roy's declined when acquired by Hardee's but the Maryland franchise operator is now expanding the brand once again, known for roast beef, burgers and fried chicken.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I was not aware Arthur Treachers still exists as a stand alone brand. Will have to investigate if it is still similar to back in the day. I like to visit Kentucky and Ohio to visit brands such as Frisch's Big Boy, White Castle, Skyline Chili, Goldstar Chili, and Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken. Although there is a Lee's remaining in Rock Hill, but the Spartanburg location has closed.

Long John Silver's is no longer operated by KFC owner Yum Brands, and is no longer co-owned with A&W. The A&W is now separately owned and expanding again with stand alone stores. New locations are planned for Rock Hill and Gastonia.

Captn. D's used to be owned by Shoney's along with Lee's Famous Recipe, but no longer. And Shoney's is declining and not as popular as back in the day when they were the Big Boy franchise for the Southeast region. Shoney's was known for 1000 Island sauce on their burger whereas Frisch's uses a famous tartar sauce.

I do find Culver's and Freddy's similar with thin style burgers and custard style ice cream.

And one other legacy brand I enjoy is Roy Rogers which still exists in Virginia and Maryland where they were founded by Marriott who also operated Bob's Big Boy. The last Roy Rogers in Ohio closed near Cincy when the owner broke away from the franchise and became an independent Roney's. Roy's declined when acquired by Hardee's but the Maryland franchise operator is now expanding the brand once again, known for roast beef, burgers and fried chicken.

Supposedly ATFC is coming back, via ghost kitchens and free-standing stores:

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/exclusiv...thur-treachers

As far as those two free-standing stores in northern Ohio, I have no idea how they would get uniform commissary supplies for a "chain" that small. I hope they're not using the dough fillets with a small sliver of fish inside them, such as I've gotten at the Nathan's co-branded stores. The batter and the frying technique were what made ATFC special, as well as those fries, which it looks like Nathan's isn't planning to resurrect.

(And those chopped chives, or whatever they are, sprinkled on the batter-fried seafood... PLEASE! I hope they don't go and try to get all fancy on us. Just bring back ATFC circa 1975, don't dink with it, and all will be well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

Not sure how you would use a ghost kitchen to create freshly-fried fish and deliver it to various destinations. Batter-fried fish, by its nature, has to be served hot and fast. Cold fried fish is gross and won't heat back up properly. Home-delivered fish would be kind of... weird.

Shoney's has completely lost its way. Shoney's and Bob Evans both originated in the same general area (Charleston WV and Rio Grande [pronounced "rye-oh-grand", rolling of the eyes here...] OH respectively, about an hour's drive apart) and neither one seems to know what they want to be anymore.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:25 PM

Yes Shoney's has indeed lost its way. Some locations have added a Bar serving mixed drinks and other alcoholic beverages, whereas others remain a typical diner. I would like to see Shoney's rejoin the Big Boy franchise and revitalize in the Southeast. In Kentucky and Ohio the Frisch's franchise for Big Boy has done a better job of maintaining its presence, and they still have the national Big boy franchise remaining in Michigan as an outgrowth of the former Elias Bros. But the Elby's franchise which was also in Ohio, as well as West Virginia and Pennsylvania has since shut down. The original Bob's Big Boy remains in California, with a few noteworthy locations including Burbank and the Broiler in Downey. But no more Bob's Big Boy on the east coast, as they pulled out of Virginia, Maryland, and DC after the sale by Marriott, which also included Roy Rogers.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes Shoney's has indeed lost its way. Some locations have added a Bar serving mixed drinks and other alcoholic beverages, whereas others remain a typical diner. I would like to see Shoney's rejoin the Big Boy franchise and revitalize in the Southeast. In Kentucky and Ohio the Frisch's franchise for Big Boy has done a better job of maintaining its presence, and they still have the national Big boy franchise remaining in Michigan as an outgrowth of the former Elias Bros. But the Elby's franchise which was also in Ohio, as well as West Virginia and Pennsylvania has since shut down. The original Bob's Big Boy remains in California, with a few noteworthy locations including Burbank and the Broiler in Downey. But no more Bob's Big Boy on the east coast, as they pulled out of Virginia, Maryland, and DC after the sale by Marriott, which also included Roy Rogers.

Shoney's with a bar is very hard to visualize. Time was, that soup and salad bar, as well as the breakfast buffet, were the gold standard. They're a shadow of what they once were. You could have thought of them as a kind of West Virginia version of Denny's.

I just checked and Bob Evans is still in Rock Hill. I may have to get by there and check it out.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:48 PM

I remember in the 70's, 80's and early 90's on family visits we would drive from Wheeling West Virginia to Columbus Ohio. Our family always went to Big Boy. In that region they were Elby's Big Boy which originated as a subfranchise of Shoney's. As a young guy about 8 or 10 years old I was a bit curious as we stopped at Elby's instead of Shoney's. That peeked my curiosity until my dad explained there were different franchises for different regions. The Elby's building and menu were very similar to Shoney's, with the classic Big Boy statue out front, and they served the same Big Boy burger with 1000 Island sauce.

But when we got closer to Columbus the Big Boy changed a bit, as it changed from Elby's to Frisch's. But more striking than the name change was the iconic statue was a bit different at Frisch's from what I was familiar with at Elby's and Shoney's. The Frisch's statue was running instead of standing, and the burger was held at his waist rather than above his head. And he had a slingshot in his pocket. Again my dad explained the variation as a different franchise region. But in Columbus I got to taste the Frisch's version of the Big Boy burger, where to my big surprise I noticed the tartar sauce on the burger rather than the 1000 Island I was familiar with at Shoney's. I grew to really enjoy the Frisch's version with the tartar sauce.

Elby's went as far as Zanesvile with the Big Boy franchise, as when you got closer to Columbus it was Frisch's territory. In fact, when Elby's moved closer to Columbus Frisch's filed a lawsuit and Elby's dropped the Big Boy affiliation in the Columbus region before they eventually withdrew and conceded to Frisch's. Elby's also extended to Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania, and parts of western Maryland. In Waldorf, Maryland they once had Elby's Big Boy and Bob's Big Boy coexisting right down the street from each other, with Roy Rogers in between. Those were the days, classic Americana family dining.

The closest Frisch's to the Carolinas remains in London, Kentucky on I-75. And they feature both versions of the Big Boy statue, the famous Frisch's version as well as the classic Bob's Big Boy version adopted by Shoney's and Elby's. About time for another road trip.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
Shoney's with a bar is very hard to visualize. Time was, that soup and salad bar, as well as the breakfast buffet, were the gold standard. They're a shadow of what they once were. You could have thought of them as a kind of West Virginia version of Denny's.

I just checked and Bob Evans is still in Rock Hill. I may have to get by there and check it out.
Yes I believe there is still a Bob Evans in Rock Hill. As well as a Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken. May venture up there soon.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:28 AM

518 posts, read 436,122 times
Meinkoy(sp) Ramen, the same owners as the one downtown have opened in Sandhills. It is on the end closer to JC Penny's. They opened last week I believe. I haven't had a chance to go, but my daughter said they have been crazy busy on the weekend and evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area