U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
 
210 posts, read 164,604 times
Reputation: 80
Default Killian's Crossing back on?

I thought the Killian's Crossing project just off I77 had been scuttled a few years back, but there are new development signs up. The website has been updated somewhat to reflect the sale of the parcel on the other side of Clemson, but otherwise it looks like it did a few years ago.

They're still advertising a movie theater, and I'm faintly hopeful this will be a Cobb Theater if anything's done with the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2011, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
4,708 posts, read 7,807,425 times
Reputation: 1133
I think they're just selling off parcels. There is a lot of construction on Killian Road, but there isn't a singular development as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Montgomery, AL
207 posts, read 434,914 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
I thought the Killian's Crossing project just off I77 had been scuttled a few years back, but there are new development signs up. The website has been updated somewhat to reflect the sale of the parcel on the other side of Clemson, but otherwise it looks like it did a few years ago.

They're still advertising a movie theater, and I'm faintly hopeful this will be a Cobb Theater if anything's done with the site.


If it's a Cobb Theater ...the i hope it's their Cinebistro chain. I know it's wishful thinking...but that would be a great addtion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM
 
161 posts, read 377,698 times
Reputation: 85
Are there any definite plans for anything in that Killian/Clemson stretch off I-77, other than the new car dealerships? I see the new Taco Bell going up near Clemson and Longtown, and there has been a sign for Aldi near Lowe's for a long time. Anything else in the works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
6,670 posts, read 4,784,811 times
Reputation: 1165
I was just out there yesterday. I haven't been outside the urban maze in so long it looked odd out there. The development all looks so separated from each other compared to new developments in the city. Thank goodness the county's tree ordinance is strong like the city's. Once the trees mature things won't look as spread out and inefficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
 
430 posts, read 852,840 times
Reputation: 156
It seems this site (which is enormous - nearly 400 acres), has been for sale the past several months:

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/F...84E4F8935C.pdf

Don't know if you guys recall, but there was a huge unpermitted wetlands destruction (44 acres) on this site about 6-7 years ago, which resulted in a heft federal fine. Apparently it is and was owned by an upstate NY-based developer, and was managed by a young 20-something guy who did not obtain the proper US Army Corps of Engineers wetland permits. See the following:

http://www.eswr.com/docs/405/crossingsPR.pdf

Repairs to Wetlands Taking Root - Science News - redOrbit

It seems the developer, after all the fines and wetland restorations required, just wants to sell now.

I think it's obvious with the economy another Village of Sandhill-like development (which is what Killian Crossing was originally planned as) is not feasible. It wasn't even feasible during the peak of the boom circa 2005. To that extent I would not expect any high-end major commercial development, such as a cinema, upscale or otherwise (that CineBistro looks like a great concept, though - maybe they might try that in a Charlotte-type market).

Still, my hope is that some cohesive, higher-quality development happens around there, because as things are developing, it's just replicating the middle stretch of Two Notch Road (about 3000-8000) with car dealers, fast food joints, and big-box retailers, for a newer, shinier suburban area. Then in 20-30 years when this area becomes "unfashionable" like the "old Northeast" around Decker, it will decay just the same.

Some enduring commercial/institutional/cultural anchor would be nice - a large grocery store (at least of a Bi-Lo caliber), Costco (please!), large library branch, large regional park, etc. I'd even accept some light industry, distribution, warehousing if that would bring in jobs, bodies, and disposable dollars for shopping/eating, but as it is zoned as a Planned Unit Development (PUD), that may not be feasible, and there are industrial zones not too far away along I-77 anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 AM
 
3,244 posts, read 3,929,452 times
Reputation: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post
It seems this site (which is enormous - nearly 400 acres), has been for sale the past several months:

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/F...84E4F8935C.pdf

Don't know if you guys recall, but there was a huge unpermitted wetlands destruction (44 acres) on this site about 6-7 years ago, which resulted in a heft federal fine. Apparently it is and was owned by an upstate NY-based developer, and was managed by a young 20-something guy who did not obtain the proper US Army Corps of Engineers wetland permits. See the following:

http://www.eswr.com/docs/405/crossingsPR.pdf

Repairs to Wetlands Taking Root - Science News - redOrbit

It seems the developer, after all the fines and wetland restorations required, just wants to sell now.

I think it's obvious with the economy another Village of Sandhill-like development (which is what Killian Crossing was originally planned as) is not feasible. It wasn't even feasible during the peak of the boom circa 2005. To that extent I would not expect any high-end major commercial development, such as a cinema, upscale or otherwise (that CineBistro looks like a great concept, though - maybe they might try that in a Charlotte-type market).

Still, my hope is that some cohesive, higher-quality development happens around there, because as things are developing, it's just replicating the middle stretch of Two Notch Road (about 3000-8000) with car dealers, fast food joints, and big-box retailers, for a newer, shinier suburban area. Then in 20-30 years when this area becomes "unfashionable" like the "old Northeast" around Decker, it will decay just the same.

Some enduring commercial/institutional/cultural anchor would be nice - a large grocery store (at least of a Bi-Lo caliber), Costco (please!), large library branch, large regional park, etc. I'd even accept some light industry, distribution, warehousing if that would bring in jobs, bodies, and disposable dollars for shopping/eating, but as it is zoned as a Planned Unit Development (PUD), that may not be feasible, and there are industrial zones not too far away along I-77 anyways.

Exactly.. I think Richland County needs to plan smarter and not create another land rush to another section of the County or run the risk of creating another Decker Blvd between I-20 and Clemson Road as everything moves over to I-77 and Blythewood. THe County often wants the money from the uptick in building permits and property taxes.. but the blight that it could leave behind is only like taking a twenty dollar bill out of your left pocket and putting two tens in your right.. The no net gain when it comes to leapfrog/unplanned development and sprawl. If anything it creates a lose since you have to put in the infrastructure roads,water, sewer, schools in the new area and declining tax base in the older commercial strip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
 
161 posts, read 377,698 times
Reputation: 85
I'm just curious: What is the county's role in determining which businesses or industries are "appropriate" for a given area? It seems to me that as long as a business wants to start within an area zoned for that type of business and otherwise complies with applicable laws, the county shouldn't deny permits or licenses because it doesn't think the business is sustainable. I also would like to see a park, nice restaurants, and high-end or specialty retailers instead of discount stores and cheap fast-food places on Killian Road. But how does the county encourage/discourage what specific types of stores open up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM
 
430 posts, read 852,840 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoGuy View Post
I'm just curious: What is the county's role in determining which businesses or industries are "appropriate" for a given area? It seems to me that as long as a business wants to start within an area zoned for that type of business and otherwise complies with applicable laws, the county shouldn't deny permits or licenses because it doesn't think the business is sustainable. I also would like to see a park, nice restaurants, and high-end or specialty retailers instead of discount stores and cheap fast-food places on Killian Road. But how does the county encourage/discourage what specific types of stores open up?
For the most part you are right, once the zoning is in place there is not much the County can/should do in terms of "over regulating" the types of businesses allowed. If an area is zoned heavy commercial and a car dealer or big-box retailer wants to go in, then I don't see why they shouldn't approve them as long as they get their building permits, etc. in order.

So that means County planners and stakeholders may need to think more creatively about zoning in the first place. Unfortunately, with a big, diverse county ranging from urban to rural and rich to poor, it is not easy coming with a comprehensive vision that creates more enduring communities (see the controversy over the "Town and Country" plan). Rural landowners (especially cash-poor ones, which are common in areas like Lower Richland) want to be able to sell their land to the highest bidder possible, and not be restricted by certain types of zoning which may impact the type of buyer allowed to purchase their land.

Sometimes I feel the County and city, be default, go for the easy, short-term revenue rush that comes with a new Wal-Mart or large subdivision (Mungo is famous for its political pull within the County, for example). I don't have the answers, but blindly copying suburbia when old suburbia becomes outdated isn't a solution. And it doesn't have to be some cute master-planned development (e.g., a "neo-traditional" subdivision with a small commercial "downtown" - this is often just pretty lipstick on a suburban pig). I would even say a series of modest but clean strip malls/small office parks could work, as it would be more flexible in terms of tenants and not be dependent on large national category-killer chains or car manufacturers. It's one thing about Forest Acres that works well - a series of smaller strips centers and even small stand-alone businesses interspersed among the semi-dense suburbia. I would rather see a replica of Trenholm Plaza in the Northeast rather than another Sandhills.

Also I think how we place/design infrastructure should be looked at. I would really like to see our interstate highways complemented with a solid network of arterial, feeder, and frontage roads, rather than just have overtaxed farm-to-country roads dump onto a six-lane highway via a simple diamond interchange designed for rural traffic volumes (e.g., see the rush hour traffic heading home on Exit 22 on I-77 North - the exit ramp is always backed up from the Killian exit). Having a better feeder road network might help facilitate that series of decent strip malls, like I mentioned before. When they're just mixed-up helter-skelter like it is in much of the older suburban areas in the Carolinas & Georgia, they are not inviting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
 
3,244 posts, read 3,929,452 times
Reputation: 817
As Chi said.. its up to the County and Planners to set the vision on the front end BEFORE the area is Zoned for the particuliar land use.. Most of the NE used to be farm land, open space and fields with the exception of a few existing industrial areas.. As the interstates were built land was rezoned for residential for new subdivisions and later the commercial followed. I am not anti growth.. I am just saying that the planning could be better. The County within say the last 20 years began taking a look at growth from a Planning perspective but has yet to outline any clear vision.. It seems to be dictated more by developers than policy or best practices. So yes, once the zoning is in.... its in..The elected officials can change it, but it requires public hearings in addition to a policy rational on why it should be changed. And that is usually developer driven and residents usually attempt to oppose it if they feel it will make their community more congested or reduce values.

I remember looking at a home in the Summit 10 years ago and the realtor told me.. that the woods behind my home would never be developed. Several young families at the model home that day rushed to sign contracts citing the fact that their kids could play in them there woods as they grow up... I asked the agent if it was a nature preserve, state forest or conservation area.. and he just looked at me. I didnt purchase in that development. Fast Forward to today... the Communities of Summit Ridge is now on that land and share rear fences with the same subdivision that I looked in. Moral of the Story.. always go to the Planning Office and look at the Plan/Zoning is for your area.. not just for the subdivision you plan to live in or what the realtor tells you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top