Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,907 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to whether the market for selling townhomes is good in Lexington and if the market will be changing soon? The 3-year period on the tax credit of the home my wife bought ends next August and we want to sell and get out of Lexington as soon as possible. We have put new carpet in the master bedroom and office. The kitchen and living room area is hardwood floor. We have painted the walls in very neutral colors to be move-in ready. We have a patio backyard, garage, and screen porch. The office could be a 3rd bedroom, but we can't call it a BR because there is no closet.

The reason I ask is because there are currently 3 other houses in our little complex on the market that have had difficulty selling. A house nearly identical to ours in floorplan and yard has sat on the market for 8 months and I've seen 2 people look at it. An interior unit home has been on the market well over a year.

Is there anything else we can do in this coming year to make ours stand out above all others? I had to move here when we married because we couldn't get rid of it due to the tax credit thing. I want out as soon as possible and don't want to be here forever waiting on a house to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
For the right price and right condition it will sell.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM

The one that is nearly identical to ours across the street is going for 98k right now. She bought this house for 117k 2 years ago. Are people really taking those types of losses?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
The one that is nearly identical to ours across the street is going for 98k right now. She bought this house for 117k 2 years ago. Are people really taking those types of losses?
That isn't bad - in many areas of the country real estate has depreciated as much as 50% over the last 5 years.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Not everyone. Most of my sellers get a check at closing but sometimes they have to bring a check. Everyone's situation is different.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM

After a little digging, I found out the one that is almost identical across the street has been listed on a realtor site for 464 days. The interior unit has been on it for 452. This absolutely cannot happen when we get ready to sell.

This next year is going to drive me crazy if this house doesn't sell. I already have good job prospects for both of us back in Aiken for next school year.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 PM

93 posts, read 165,943 times
What you bought the home for doesn't matter, with all due respect. And generally if you bought it two yeears ago, there's a good chance you over paid. And now the value it's worth is not really a loss as much as a correction probably to where it should be. Sometimes it might have an obvious blight or reason on the inside as to why it hasn't sold. Granted also, you're in a townhome which can be harder to sell. Inbox me if you like I know a few agents down that way that could help you out. They can take you on a quick showing and you can go in and know for sure what your competition is! This is what we do up here often.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Well I didn't buy it, my wife (then fiancee) did. And there was another for sale then that was going for 108 without a garage. So, 117 for one with a garage didn't seem like a far stretch.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM

12,914 posts, read 18,761,054 times
The beginning of the end of suburbia has arrived. I'd be careful where I bought a townhouse.

The Beginning of the End for Suburban America - Yahoo! Finance

Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM

The identical house across the street sold this week. The guy told me it went for $96k. Good grief. At least it finally sold. I need some type of positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area