Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,475,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I apologize if this should be on another thread, but I can't find one regarding this matter. Do people smoke in the work place? This isn't a political statement of any kind. I just get very sick around smokers, so I will have to give up even considering moving to a state where smoking is allowed in public buildings or at work. This makes me very sad since I never thought about it until I just read that SC & NC have not banned smoking yet. It never crossed my mind!
I don't know of any offices that allow smoking in the workplace. The city passed a law banning smoking in restaurants, but a lawsuit is running its course before it takes effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I was looking at Irmo. I probably should rent first, but I don't want to waste my money any more, since I've been renting for a long time in FL and I have nothing to show for it. I am still trying decide if Columbia or Greenville would be better for me. Nobody can make that decision for me I suppose. Looking at pictures online is helpful, but I need to actually pack up and move! It's a tough decision.
Columbia and Greenville are much different places so that should be an easy decision after spending a couple of days in both places.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:09 PM

236 posts, read 897,377 times
Quote:
Thanks. I was looking at Irmo. I probably should rent first, but I don't want to waste my money any more, since I've been renting for a long time in FL and I have nothing to show for it. I am still trying decide if Columbia or Greenville would be better for me. Nobody can make that decision for me I suppose. Looking at pictures online is helpful, but I need to actually pack up and move! It's a tough decision.
Nancy
I'm looking to do the same thing. I've had enough of Florida with no work or really low paying work. The dishonesty of service people and the lack of good medical care here. I'm looking either in the Irmo area or somewhere along the coast. Have you found any info that you could pass on??

Old 09-03-2007, 04:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue717 View Post
Nancy
I'm looking to do the same thing. I've had enough of Florida with no work or really low paying work. The dishonesty of service people and the lack of good medical care here. I'm looking either in the Irmo area or somewhere along the coast. Have you found any info that you could pass on??
I think it would be better to ask people who are already living in SC, since my information would only be second hand. However, if you're looking for high wages, I don't think you should expect SC wages to be much higher than what Florida has to offer.

I just came back from looking at condos and they're still running $200K+ so when you add in the tax, insurance and HOA, they're unaffordable, at least to me. This is really why I want to leave here. Otherwise, I think Southwest FL is very pretty, has nice sandy beaches and (for the most part) good weather. It's already September and we haven't been hit once with a major storm this year. Actually, we really need more rain.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 AM

291 posts, read 1,776,886 times
People still do smoke in public places here. It is one of the few things I can't stand. The guys I work with smoke all the time and I hate it.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel View Post
People still do smoke in public places here. It is one of the few things I can't stand. The guys I work with smoke all the time and I hate it.
Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't have a choice. People don't understand that this is not a political viewpoint or just someone who likes to complain. When I get home, all I do is cough all night and spit up....well, I won't get too graphic here! My Dad smoked a lot when I was a child so I am very sensitive to smoke. Anyway, I need to work in an environment where people are asked to light up outside. I guess it depends on the company and its management too. Even when it's outlawed, people still do it anyway.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 AM

Nancy, it is definitely something you can ask about in a job interview. I'm sure most offices don't allow smoking, but a manufacturing facility might be much different.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 AM

287 posts, read 1,457,216 times
Depends on how much house you need. We moved from NY and got a nice 1725 sq. ft. ranch much nicer than we had in NY and alot newer for 158k. Our mortgage even went down 700.00/month! We live in Lexington with a nice community pool for the kids, best move we made.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:23 PM

38 posts, read 160,536 times
I love Columbia. I wished we lived there when we lived in SC (we lived on Shaw AFB). Looking to move back though so I am happy! Glad you like it there.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 PM

153 posts, read 713,254 times
Smoking is banned in most places. Lots of cities around the state are starting to ban smoking in restaurants/bars too, which is somewhat of a controversy. Its not really a big deal unless you like to do the latenight bar scene. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor on your decision to locate in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area