Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM

55 posts, read 134,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Richland County is more diverse than Lexington County. The City itself is in Richland County with a tiny portion in Lexington. The Town of Irmo is more diverse than the Town of Lexington. This doesn't mean Lexington isn't a nice town, it just is not extremely diverse. I don't find the area to be particularly divided by class or race. There are majority White areas, majority Black areas, heavily Asian and heavily Hispanic (but no majority Hispanic or Asian areas) and then there are neighborhoods that are a hodgepodge. Columbia is primarily a middle class city, you won't find huge swaths of poverty and you won't find huge swaths of million dollar homes, but you will find pockets of both. I don't feel tension between classes or races here, there are individual exceptions of every rule, like anywhere. On the whole, though, I don't see it.
I'm curious what the political climate is like there. You do have a Republican governor.

In Texas, Austin, the capital city, is the most liberal/Democrat oriented city in the state, even though the mostly Republican majority is based there.

Mel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melskybell View Post
I'm curious what the political climate is like there. You do have a Republican governor.

In Texas, Austin, the capital city, is the most liberal/Democrat oriented city in the state, even though the mostly Republican majority is based there.

Mel
Columbia is to South Carolina what Austin is to Texas. Every county-wide elected official in Richland County is a Democrat, Columbia's mayor is a Democrat and so is the majority of city and county council. Barack Obama won about 64% of the vote in Richland County in November and Richland County has voted Dem for President for 5 straight elections.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Both cities have laws prohibiting smoking in workplaces, including restaurants and bars. I'm not sure what your post was referring to, but it seemed to be asking about anti-smoking ordinances.
Yes, the question was about anti-smoking ordinances. Your answer is excellent news.

My only other question is that of humidity in Columbia. I have heard horror stories about this summer topic; so is it possible to live there without being incarcerated in something air conditioned? Some have told me that one can't even breathe outside in the summer. Is this true?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280ezrider View Post
Yes, the question was about anti-smoking ordinances. Your answer is excellent news.

My only other question is that of humidity in Columbia. I have heard horror stories about this summer topic; so is it possible to live there without being incarcerated in something air conditioned? Some have told me that one can't even breathe outside in the summer. Is this true?
Coming from the north where we never got as hot in the summer as Columbia or dealt w/the level of humidity, I have been able to adapt to it in less than 2 years. Is it always pleasant? No, but very few people that I know stay indoors the entire summer. It really only gets 'unbearable' for about 5 weeks or so mid-July through late-August. Other than that, most mornings and evenings you can do outdoor activities w/out it being to uncomfortable and just spend your afternoons at a pool if you want to be outside or make the short 2-hour or so drive to the beaches along the coast.

The bottom line is, summer anywhere in the south is hot. The thing that's great about Columbia & the state in general is that the spring and fall seasons are fabulous and the winters are still very mild compared to most places in the country. So I'll put up w/a month and a half of mid-90 degree days and humidity for 10 1/2 months of very desirable weather.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:37 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I agree. Columbia is a great small town. Housing is cheap, jobs are plentiful, and there are tons of things to do everyday of the week. I can drive to the beach, mountains, or Charlotte in under 2 hours. To top it off the people here are ridicuously nice.

For some crazy reason Columbia has a bad reputation among North and South Carolinians which is totally undeserved. I just hope that the Yankees, Californians and Floridiots don't "discover" Columbia anytime soon.
Don't worry. The "Yankees" are obsessed with Florida, and the Californians are intent on destroying the Pacific Northwest, but you may have to deal with Floridians migrating northward. Fortunately for you, I don't think they can function normally in weather under 70 degrees and 90% humidity.

I've found this thread to be very informative, as we may be moving to Columbia in May. Thanks everyone for your opinions. I've never wanted to live in the South, but Columbia seems bearable.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280ezrider View Post

It can't be nearly as bad as Florida. I know Columbia has humid summers, but from what I understand they also have four seasons, which is nice. Florida just has a "Miserable" on and off switch. From December to about the first week of March, the "Miserable Switch" is off. The rest of the year, sweat prevails.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Good deal, glad to hear it! Columbia isn't nearly as bad as many people try too make it out to be. I never understood the distain it recieves?
The fact that I moved to Columbia, SC says that it's the best place in the world right now. I made tons of research including futures of the area, before moving here. Yet I'd not like it to become overgrown with development too much. Go quality, not quantity.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
The fact that I moved to Columbia, SC says that it's the best place in the world right now. I made tons of research including futures of the area, before moving here. Yet I'd not like it to become overgrown with development too much. Go quality, not quantity.
I must admit, I am very excited about the development of Innovista. If done right, this research park should have a significant and very positive impact on Columbia.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,927 times
are there alot of sports for children in the lexington area?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:14 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflisa View Post
are there alot of sports for children in the lexington area?
I would imagine so, but I don't know much I rarely venture out to the suburbs. I'll ask some co-workers tomorrow who live in Lexington. I know some of their kids play baseball. What sport are you specifically interested in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area