U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 17,158 times

Advertisements

Hello! My Husband and I will be visiting this weekend and would like any advice on places to see, nightlife, areas to visit etc. This visit is basically a chance for us to get a feel for the city. We are in our late thirties w/3 children ages 4-12. We are being transferred to the area in a few months and would like to check out neighborhoods that are family friendly and fun w/out being too overly organized and narrow minded. We like cultural events as well as outdoor activities (boating). My husbands job is near downtown and commuting is not an issue for us. This weekend will be a trip w/out kids so city nightlife for my husband and I are also on the agenda. I know this is a tall order but long story short: Looking for good areas to live and romantic places for a weekend get away all rolled into one. Any direction would help us tremendously. Thank you in advance!
(We're looking near Lake Murray in Irmo if that helps narrow it down but are open to other suggestions w/good schools).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,412,655 times
Well if you are looking at Lake Murray/ Irmo you are headed in the right direction. The School district is one of the state's best and you will obviously be close to the lake for boating. As far as nightlife check-out The Congaree Vista: Business & Service in the Columbia Vista of South Carolina, and Five Points :: Columbia, South Carolina, your sure to find something to your liking. Cool thing about Columbia's central location is its accessability to weekend getways. Although I have never been but one place I hear is nice is Dreher Island state park (off lake murray). Then again the mountains, or the beach are only about 2 1/2 hours away.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Last edited by sandlapper; 08-19-2007 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 PM

330 posts, read 1,286,137 times
Gosh - I may be too late - but your kids would love Riverbanks Zoo - it is a great way to spend the day with kids.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:14 PM

6,647 posts, read 14,176,981 times
Definitely check out both The Vista and Five Points for nightlife and stay in either of those two places so you can walk to your destinations. The Vista has a Hampton Inn and a Hilton, with a number of other hotels nearby. Five Points has Claussen's Inn and the Whitney with others also nearby. The late night crowd in Five Points is decidedly younger than in The Vista, but Five Points and the Devine Street corridor, nearby, has some great restaurants.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 17,158 times
Thank you for all the great info. The Vista is sure to have something for us and Five Points looks fun too! It sounds like we are on the right track I suppose as far as school districts are concerned. If anybody has other suggestions I would love to hear them. We won't be in until Fri. 8/24 & I'm still trying to pinpoint our exact destinations. I find it's always best to just wander sometimes and meet local people to interact with. Thanks again & can't wait to visit!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 25,433 times
columbia has lots of fun things to see and do!! your kids would probably like the Edventure kid's museum which is right in front of the state museum. www.edventure.org - it's on gervais street near the vista... there's a huge "human" boy inside, which the kids can go inside and see the heart, belly and so on! my 4 year old nephew has gone there several times and loved it.

like someone said, there's also riverbanks zoo, which is located right off 1-26 greystone blvd. it's a small zoo, but it's really nice and has a wonderful garden building and trails you can walk up to across the river.

the vista, downtown, off of gervais has wonderful restuarants... my personal favorite is the "blue marlin" they have wonderful food and a nice atmosphere.. it's casual, but nice. i always get their firecracker flounder which is awesome... you can get collards, grits and great ice tea!! ok, i'm making myself hungry now!!

i'm been living off and on in columbia for 32 years.. i know the irmo/st. andrews area like the back of my hand!! if you are interested in some housing, check out my father's business joe morris builders... he's been building in columbia for over 35 years and has some wonderful homes for sale right next to lake murray in the development "lakeside at ballentine"
shopping and the schools are also great in lexington district 5. irmo schools, chapin, dutch fork, they are all good.

if you have any questions, email me!!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM

149 posts, read 649,050 times
Word of advice, USC just started back, so Five Points is going to be crazy this weekend. The Vista won't be any different but you generally have more of the young professional crowd and adults there.

You may want to check out the Capitol grounds and the building itself along with USC's old campus. Riverbanks Zoo is a great option.

The suggestions people have given you here are pretty good. You'll definitely want to check out Irmo.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 23,533 times
Lake Murray is the way to go. Five POints is the way to go for the nightlife agendas. Isle of Palms beach is a romantic place to visit.
Welcome!
dancecreationsofsc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or