Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Is this the "On Numbers" publication from the U.S. Census Bureau? Have they published data beyond 2010 yet?

Below are some of the numbers from 2010. Note that I included Spartanburg and Anderson counties because Greenville's urban area spreads into both and I know people living in both who shop regularly in Greenville. It may mean little or even nothing, but it is at least worth mentioning conidering the topic.

Charleston-North Carleston-Summerville (3 counties)
  • Households = 245,938
  • Households w/ income/benefits $200,000+ = 8,579
  • 3.49%
  • Rank = 110

Columbia (6 counties?)
  • Households = 287,784
  • Households w/ income/benefits $200,000+ = 7,297
  • 2.54%
  • Rank = 238

Greenville-Mauldin-Easley (3 counties)
  • Households = 240,864
  • Households w/ income/benefits $200,000+ = 6,551
  • 2.72%
  • Rank = 207

Spartanburg
  • Households = 106,397
  • Households w/ income/benefits $200,000+ = 1,859
  • 1.75%
  • Rank = 475

Anderson
  • Households = 71,973
  • Households w/ income/benefits $200,000+ = 1,186
  • 1.65%
  • Rank = 507
Source: Bridgeport-Stamford, Conn., is nation's most affluent city - The Business Journals
Columbia's numbers represent 3 counties.

And, I don't want this to become a Greeville v. Columbia comparison. To me, it simply makes very very little sense that national retailers are so poorly represented in Columbia. And, the numbers support my question. If Columbia is in line with Greenville & Charleston with regards to wealth, education, growth and personal income, the stores should be looking very hard at the area. There seems to be more noise from retailers today but, it is long overdue. The first developer who puts together a project to attract these retailers will be a very wealthy person. And, the initial retailers & restaurants who come into the market will be very happy for a while.

Would love to see a project at the corner of Assembly & Gervais. It would be an awesome project to have 200k of retail, a hotel and some office on that corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Whole Foods said it has been looking into Columbia for several years before actually coming. I suppose the same is true of other retailers as well. I'm just thinking that all of the pieces have not yet come together in the right way in Columbia yet.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
I think I explained the situation well a few posts back.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I think I explained the situation well a few posts back.
I hear ya CD. I have never seen this as a Columbia issue as much as it is timing, developer issues like bankruptcy, and the economy. But, I would like to see Edens attract more retail to the city. I had the same frustrations years back as Raleigh landed retailers way before Charlotte. The situation in Columbia reminds me of that period. But, the metrics clearly show that the market is definitely sufficient. Additionally, the data does not include the purchasing of over 20k students and the many visitors in Columbia almost daily. Any ideas on annual tourism numbers for the metro?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Columbia's numbers represent 3 counties.

And, I don't want this to become a Greeville v. Columbia comparison. To me, it simply makes very very little sense that national retailers are so poorly represented in Columbia. And, the numbers support my question. If Columbia is in line with Greenville & Charleston with regards to wealth, education, growth and personal income, the stores should be looking very hard at the area. There seems to be more noise from retailers today but, it is long overdue. The first developer who puts together a project to attract these retailers will be a very wealthy person. And, the initial retailers & restaurants who come into the market will be very happy for a while.

Would love to see a project at the corner of Assembly & Gervais. It would be an awesome project to have 200k of retail, a hotel and some office on that corner.
I agree. I am curious about one thing though. Why would the U.S. Census Bureau establish a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) and then neglect to use data from the entire metro population—especially when comparing data to other entire MSA populations? Unless I am mistaken, the Columbia MSA is currently comprised of six counties, not three. If data from three counties in the MSA have been left out, then Columbia has been misrepresented.

Last edited by Skyliner; 02-18-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM

If it was an MSA to MSA comparison, then all six counties were definitely counted, and that would explain it even further. People from Saluda County just aren't going to drive any further into the Columbia area than Harbison on a regular basis for trendy shopping. Conversely, Kershaw County residents aren't going to drive any further than VAH usually. The 2010 census should result in more attention for the region, though, especially with Richland County and the city's growth, and as stated before, companies have been looking in the area for some time. What's the family restaurant that's in Greenville - K&W or something like that? They said just the other day in a newspaper article that they've wanted to be in Columbia a long time and that they looked at the former S&S space at Richland Mall. Apparently the layout and distribution of people with money in this area make it harder to find just the spot, and that's what I've tried to explain countless times in these threads in Columbia's defense. I think the halt of sprawl relatively speaking and continued population growth should resolve that situation. Also, a continued uptick in the economy should make a difference.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If it was an MSA to MSA comparison, then all six counties were definitely counted, and that would explain it even further. People from Saluda County just aren't going to drive any further into the Columbia area than Harbison on a regular basis for trendy shopping. Conversely, Kershaw County residents aren't going to drive any further than VAH usually. The 2010 census should result in more attention for the region, though, especially with Richland County and the city's growth, and as stated before, companies have been looking in the area for some time. What's the family restaurant that's in Greenville - K&W or something like that? They said just the other day in a newspaper article that they've wanted to be in Columbia a long time and that they looked at the former S&S space at Richland Mall. Apparently the layout and distribution of people with money in this area make it harder to find just the spot, and that's what I've tried to explain countless times in these threads in Columbia's defense. I think the halt of sprawl relatively speaking and continued population growth should resolve that situation. Also, a continued uptick in the economy should make a difference.
There are fewer than 19,000 people in Saluda County, less than 15,000 in Calhoun County and less than 25,000 people in Fairfield County so those three counties would have very few people in the market for upscale shopping. The only number that would matter significantly will be from Richland, Lexington and Kershaw.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I agree. I am curious about one thing though. Why would the U.S. Census Bureau establish a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) and then neglect to use data from the entire metro population—especially when comparing data to other entire MSA populations? Unless I am mistaken, the Columbia MSA is currently comprised of six counties, not three. If data from three counties in the MSA have been left out, then Columbia has been misrepresented.
You my be right about the county totals. I have never see the small counties added to the Columbia MSA. It is more surprising because metro Charlotte, where commuting patterns are more dispersed, is only 6 counties. However, when talking about the wealth of an area, counties with populations in the 15 - 20k range are not material. The core Columbia areas of Lexington & Richland comprise 99% of the families making $200+. Depending on the metric, Columbia leads SC or is just below Charleston in HH Income, Education and to a lesser degree, growth.

The trade area of these stores will be mostly Richland & Lexington where the wealth lies. And, that is why it makes no sense that Columbia has very little national retailers. I am not sure what the tourism numbers are but, just based on athletic events, museums and a national 30k student university, there is a large draw for visitors in the city. All of this is appealing to retailers.

It has been stated many times before that retailers are scouting Columbia and I am sure they are. And, based on the metrics, Columbia is an easy sell.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,382 times
Default Trader Joe's

I would love to see TJ come to the Garner's Ferry Road area as I live in a new subdivision in the area. I agree, this area is very neglected and needs a great store. Unfortunately, I don't think the area has the neighborhoods or subdivisions that would support a Trader's. Wish I were wrong, but I live here and recognize that Walmart is the big draw.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 AM

A two-story Trader Joe's for Columbia? There's a rumor that they might be (notice: rumor and might be) looking at the former Columbia Athletic Club on Forest Drive. The owner of the building has it under contract, but he's not saying whether or not it's with the grocer. A Trader Joe's spokesperson is still saying Columbia is not in their two-year plan, but my partner who knows a thing or two about retail says that doesn't mean anything. In fact, he says it could mean that TJ's doesn't want to say anything because they know some other retailer(s) are looking in the area and they don't want to show their cards.

Home Goods to open at Village at Sandhill - Shop Around - TheState.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area