Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 AM

92 posts, read 235,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You keep talking about the Confederate flag in South Carolina. Also you say that you are from Georgia. I think the Confederate flag was part of your state flag until a few years ago.
Georgia state flag until 2001
Excuse me,I'm from Georgia,but did I say,Georgia or where I'm from is "racist free".However,just like the Confederate Flag isn't displayed all over SC,It was not displayed now or at any other time in my hometown.

I don't know anything about,Greenville,Rockhill,Florence,Anderson,Greenw ood,only Colubia and Aiken.On that note,I will say,in the seven years I lived in Aiken County,race relations were over all pretty good and I don't have anything nagative to say about Aiken with regards to race.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachstate01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Blacks in Columbia and across SC are fully aware that not all White people are in favor of the Confederate flag flying on the Statehouse grounds. In light of that fact, I think it's pretty inane for you to make this huge stretch that the couple of Blacks you've run across who didn't like you did so because of the flag. That seems especially true when you consider the fact that it's mostly older Blacks, those who you say are "more friendly" and "pretty decent," who march to the Statehouse every year in an effort to have the flag removed and not those of the younger age range.
Once again,I did not say all blacks whether younger or older,and yes you are right,those who were raised right and taught not to hate and judge an individual based on there race or color of skin,would be those who don't fault white people for all the social injustices they have or do experience.

So for your information,I'm not saying that all blacks in the stated age group are racist nor are those who are older are not among some of the racists.It all goes to the individual person and how they were raised.So what's your point?
You initially said, "the perception among the black community,in Columbia and SC,as a whole is that the white man is responsible for it being displayed and it's all because we are a bunch of racist." This strongly implies that you are castigating all Blacks in Columbia.

I also feel that it just might be possible that you're leaving out some pertinent information in your discussion regarding your experiences. You sure you didn't make some silly decisions as this woman down in Summerville has done: Battle over flag goes on: Summerville neighbors of Confederate flag owner build fences, watch flag go higher | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You initially said, "the perception among the black community,in Columbia and SC,as a whole is that the white man is responsible for it being displayed and it's all because we are a bunch of racist." This strongly implies that you are castigating all Blacks in Columbia.

I also feel that it just might be possible that you're leaving out some pertinent information in your discussion regarding your experiences. You sure you didn't make some silly decisions as this woman down in Summerville has done: Battle over flag goes on: Summerville neighbors of Confederate flag owner build fences, watch flag go higher | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
There you go again,taking my word out of context.let me break it down for you.When I say as a "whole",I mean there are blacks all over SC,who feel very strongly about the flag issue,that it should be took down,that it is a symbol of racism,and that it's the "white man"who is responsible for it being displayed. So it just follows that they think we are all a bunch of racists because it continues to be displayed.
I'm not the one who needs to be told,that Columbia citizens have no say as to whether the flag is removed and put some where like the museum.I know it's a state issue,but that doesn't change the perception on what racist blacks in Columbia or any number of blacks elsewhere in SC think about the issue.
If you want to see racism really come "out of the bag"on the flag issue,it would pay you to check out the news in The State newspaper where Columbia's community has voiced there opinion,both black and white with some pretty awful comments.Also,WLTX news.Do a search on both these sites and you will see more of what I'm referring too.Yes white racism is on display too,so I'm not just singling out black people
I also might add,the annual marches and protests in January,along with news headlines doesn't do anything put stir racism up in this town and no doubt elsewhere.Blacks here are not racist because of the flag.There already racist,but the flag issue just puts logs on the fire,that's all I'm saying.

Last edited by Peachstate01; 10-13-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Fellow posters on here.Please check out the above link,that Mutiny77 has referred too here.It only further adds to my argument about the confederate Flag being a social/racial issue as well as a state one.

At this march and protest in Summerville in an historically southern black neighborhood,a rock was thrown at a white woman who along with 30 others gathered were displaying very proudly there Confederate Flag.then blacks on both sides of her house built 8 foot wooden fences to shield the woman's flag from there view.
Read the rest of the story with an open mind,and get the picture.

Last edited by Peachstate01; 10-13-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachstate01 View Post
Fellow posters on here.Please check out the above link,that Mutiny77 has referred too here.It only further adds to my argument about the confederate Flag being a social/racial issue as well as a state one.

At this march and protest in Summerville in an historically southern black neighborhood,a rock was thrown at a white woman who along with 30 others gathered were displaying very proudly there Confederate Flag.then blacks on both sides of her house built 8 foot wooden fences to shield the woman's flag from there view.
Read the rest of the story with an open mind,and get the picture.
No one was ever hit with a rock. A rock was thrown on the woman's porch. The protest happened without incident.

I suppose if Summerville is your next destination, you'll be starting a similar thread in the Charleston forum after you've live there for a little bit of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area