Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,024 times

Advertisements

i feel like this will be a great addition to columbia because i live on bluff rd and it takes me so long to get to wal mart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,372 times
I think this will make traffic really bad around that area. Especially on game days around the stadium. Not a good idea IMO. If they are going to do it I would rather a Target go there. Target is a bit nicer, but then again there is a Target on Garner's Ferry...so not too far from downtown.

How about put a Trader Joe's there along with some other retail business and maybe a couple new restaurants. Or maybe even put an Apple store there too. You could put so much better in that space.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I think this will make traffic really bad around that area. Especially on game days around the stadium. Not a good idea IMO. If they are going to do it I would rather a Target go there. Target is a bit nicer, but then again there is a Target on Garner's Ferry...so not too far from downtown.

How about put a Trader Joe's there along with some other retail business and maybe a couple new restaurants. Or maybe even put an Apple store there too. You could put so much better in that space.
The demographics aren't right in that location for Apple or Trader Joe's.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
I'm all for developing that area, but it's pretty hard to get excited about a WalMart...

Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The demographics aren't right in that location for Apple or Trader Joe's.
I think it would be a decent spot for both.

As for apple, you have USC right there and plenty of college kids would probably buy Apple products. Then you have the areas of Shandon, Rosewood, West Columbia, Elmwood, ect that would cater to people that are able to afford those products.

As for Trader Joe's, it would be a great spot for it really. Like I said above, you would have all of those locations plus USC students/faculty to shop there. There are some well-off people in and around the downtown area.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I think it would be a decent spot for both.

As for apple, you have USC right there and plenty of college kids would probably buy Apple products. Then you have the areas of Shandon, Rosewood, West Columbia, Elmwood, ect that would cater to people that are able to afford those products.

As for Trader Joe's, it would be a great spot for it really. Like I said above, you would have all of those locations plus USC students/faculty to shop there. There are some well-off people in and around the downtown area.
Yes, but they wouldn't frequently travel to the South Assembly Street area and the people that would shop at Trader Joe's and Apple would rarely set foot in a Walmart. The Devine Street corridor or the Vista would probably be best for both stores.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM

21 posts, read 53,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Wow, all but one post is positive. In Chicago people have been fitting tooth and nail against Wal-Mart for a decade and they finally lost. A Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market just opened in the West Loop at the ground level of a high rise apartment building. It's quite nice. Sparkling clean and big enough to have everything you need, including a pharmacy, but small enough to shop in quickly and easily. A regular Wal-Mart opened a few years ago, and two Super Centers will be coming soon to former industrial sites. More stores in all formats are planned for the future.
Could you explain to me why?

I guess growing up here, I hated the fact that just because others chose not to work/shop on Sundays, it affected whether or not I could because of the Blue Laws. I guess thats became my attitude towards WalMart as well. You have the choice not to shop there, but why take that choice away from someone else who may want to in the area?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogonal View Post
Could you explain to me why?

I guess growing up here, I hated the fact that just because others chose not to work/shop on Sundays, it affected whether or not I could because of the Blue Laws. I guess thats became my attitude towards WalMart as well. You have the choice not to shop there, but why take that choice away from someone else who may want to in the area?

Wal Mart has come to represent what some folks believe as everything negative about capitalism. Low Wages, kill of the competition (i.e. Mom and Pop stores) by flooding the market with any and everything, purchasing products overseas from places that exploit child labor and other ills, sprawl, empty vacant big boxes, poor healthcare for employees, and the list goes on and on. The Occupy Wall Street (DC) group stormed a meeting where the President of Wal Mart was a guest speaker.. Again equating Wal Mart as the epitomy of corporate greed and consumers lust for products. Bigger more liberal cities like Chicago and other urban centers sometimes view chains and big corporate brands like the plague though certainly the convenience of shopping there is a factor considered by many as a positive not to mention the spin off stuff generated by the Wal Mart traffic... Lets face it... you will never see hundreds of people standing around with signs saying " WE WANT WAL MART" but its easy to see people doing the opposite. Its human nature to scream about things we dont want as opposed to screaming about things we do.. You probably have alot of people that like and want a Wal Mart.. but their passion to push and to march for one to be built in there community is just not there for most folks

I know in this forum people want an Apple Store, Trader Joes and other retailers to come to Columbia.. but I doubt very few would spend their waking hour marching around city hall and chiding the Mayor to do whatever it takes to make it so.....Blogging is alot easier...

Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM

19 posts, read 38,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wal Mart has come to represent what some folks believe as everything negative about capitalism. Low Wages, kill of the competition (i.e. Mom and Pop stores) by flooding the market with any and everything, purchasing products overseas from places that exploit child labor and other ills, sprawl, empty vacant big boxes, poor healthcare for employees, and the list goes on and on. The Occupy Wall Street (DC) group stormed a meeting where the President of Wal Mart was a guest speaker.. Again equating Wal Mart as the epitomy of corporate greed and consumers lust for products. Bigger more liberal cities like Chicago and other urban centers sometimes view chains and big corporate brands like the plague though certainly the convenience of shopping there is a factor considered by many as a positive not to mention the spin off stuff generated by the Wal Mart traffic... Lets face it... you will never see hundreds of people standing around with signs saying " WE WANT WAL MART" but its easy to see people doing the opposite. Its human nature to scream about things we dont want as opposed to screaming about things we do.. You probably have alot of people that like and want a Wal Mart.. but their passion to push and to march for one to be built in there community is just not there for most folks

I know in this forum people want an Apple Store, Trader Joes and other retailers to come to Columbia.. but I doubt very few would spend their waking hour marching around city hall and chiding the Mayor to do whatever it takes to make it so.....Blogging is alot easier...
You make really good points. Yet, I do not think it completely addresses Cosmongonal's point, which was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogonal View Post
You have the choice not to shop there, but why take that choice away from someone else who may want to in the area?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por1427 View Post
You make really good points. Yet, I do not think it completely addresses Cosmongonal's point, which was:

I think I addressed it in a different way.. Its not about NOT SHOPPING there its about I (THEY) DONT WANT IT HERE PERIOD. There is a difference. I think people take that stand because of some of the things that I mention. Its no different than Blue Laws where people cant shop before a certain time or cant purchase alcohol on Sunday. Here the government, on behalf of some people, has said.. You cant do this at this time. They can certainly say.. if you dont want to buy a drink or not to shop.. then just dont do it.. but they take that right away from everyone via legislation. Of course, the alternative is to buy your beer early or shop in the neighboring community that doesnt have these restrictions which is what happens. Churches often taken this stance on many issues though one could tell them... just dont go to XYZ establishment or participate in XYZ activity.. but clearly they feel otherwise. In many cases they still try to limit the activity or try to stop it entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area