U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:05 AM

843 posts, read 2,517,529 times

Advertisements

Went to get my papers this morning for the coupons and got hit by sticker shock *after* the sale. My papers were $2 each last week, as they had been for some time, but this morning they're $3. What's up with the 50% rate hike? And why no warning? If we woke up tomorrow morning and gas was $4.95/USG then everyone would be up in arms. When Netflix did it they lost nearly 1.5 million customers. So why is it ok for The State to do it?

And I like how they try to hide it, too. Every single paper on the rack has a JC Penney sticker strategically placed over the price.

Fraudin'...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,342,175 times
Here in Illinois, the Chicago Tribune is $2 on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised to see its price go up to $3 because the number of purchasers has been going down for years. Fewer subscribers means less income from advertising, hence the price goes up (the alternative is for the papers to close their doors). People get their news online ... I use my iPad to read the morning news, get weather reports, and read my favorite comics. Online magazine sites have pretty much replaced print magazines for me at this point, and there are hundreds of sites where people can get coupons online. Newspapers and print magazines are going the way of the buggy whip; it's only a matter of time.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 AM

330 posts, read 937,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Went to get my papers this morning for the coupons and got hit by sticker shock *after* the sale. My papers were $2 each last week, as they had been for some time, but this morning they're $3. What's up with the 50% rate hike? And why no warning? If we woke up tomorrow morning and gas was $4.95/USG then everyone would be up in arms. When Netflix did it they lost nearly 1.5 million customers. So why is it ok for The State to do it?

And I like how they try to hide it, too. Every single paper on the rack has a JC Penney sticker strategically placed over the price.

Fraudin'...
They have to make some money somehow. The only reason we get a Sunday paper is for the coupons. I'm sure we're not alone.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 AM

994 posts, read 1,981,520 times
No you're not. I have subscribed to newspapers continuously for over 35 years but have decided that when my State renewal comes due I'm going to let it go. It is a poorly organized and written paper that devotes more space to obituaries than metro news. I get more local news from the tv station's websites than the State ever delivers.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:33 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,490,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
They have to make some money somehow. The only reason we get a Sunday paper is for the coupons. I'm sure we're not alone.
i think that hits the nail on the head. These days publishers know readership is down, with the net. smartphones, etc but they also know couponing is growing leaps and bounds. And quite frankly most of those people would likely pay an extra buck to get those coupons every Sunday anyhow.
But the minute those coupons stop being inserted...... then watch the renewals drop.

I dont mind paying a few bucks for the 4 day delivery now each week, but if i get less for my $$ i would have no problem dropping it either

Old 12-24-2011, 05:43 AM

994 posts, read 1,981,520 times
Alright, it's time to make the decision. I got my renewal notice yesterday and I'm wondering if it's worth $175 to continue to get the paper. I have to admit I enjoy walking down to the mailbox everyday and retrieving the paper and it's nice to have something readily available to read at lunch. But with the continued downward spiral of the quality of the paper and the convenience of my Kindle maybe it's time to just let it go.

Can anybody think of any good reasons to continue to get the paper?

Old 12-24-2011, 05:53 AM

i've had same thoughts, but we do like getting the weekly coupons and flyers so in theory save more per year then without the paper. I do still enjoy reading something physical, plus i spend 8-10 hours per day on a computer for work so dont feel like reading articles online later.
And of course, a paper is always convenient for reading in "the library" lol

Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 PM

540 posts, read 1,976,277 times
I recently moved here, and I have to say, The State newspaper is far too expensive for what you are getting. We subscribe to the Sunday paper for the coupons, but I am shocked at the lack of substance to even the Sunday paper. Doesn't come anywhere to close to what we were getting in Seattle!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:26 AM

11,544 posts, read 27,246,116 times
Many of the paper we Knew - the ones that provided local news for 100 years have beeh purchased by newspaper groups like Gate House or Liberty. They shape the news and no longer edit content. And a few like Gate House have imposed how many times a person can read the paper before being banned. You can buy the electronic version which is more expensive than the print edition or get the news elsewhere. What I learned is *elsewhere* is a pretty good source afterall.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You can buy the electronic version which is more expensive than the print edition or get the news elsewhere. What I learned is *elsewhere* is a pretty good source afterall.
that's a good point, one can get the news from multiple cable sources, online, and even on the go with the smart phones so many use now (i'm guilty of that as well). Same for books, with e-readers seeming to be a hot item. But maybe i'm still a bit old school; growing up before cable and before home pc's, i actually enjoy sitting and going thru a paper (whether local, perhaps independant, music rag, etc) or grabbing a real book and turning pages. Not that i don't use the tech toys available, but i kinda hope papers and books will always be around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area