Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,339 times

Advertisements

If you're sticking to the Columbia area I'd really encourage you to check out the good in-town urban neighborhoods like Shandon, Rosewood, etc. You will be in a safe area with all the urban/university amenities and pedestrian environment nearby and more suburban big-box ones not too far away (e.g., Forest Drive and Garners Ferry Road areas). I say this because staying west of I-26 isn't going to get any sort of additional mountain vista and the urban amenities you are looking for are in Columbia proper. If you are going to look at a suburb I might suggest checking out Forest Acres, which is an established town just east of the City and the closes one to the urban environment you've described.

Otherwise, if you really want to be in/near the mountains, as was mentioned by someone else, you'll have to look 1.5-2 hours northwest in the Upstate region of SC (e.g., the Greenville metro area or in and around Clemson - this region is probably vaguely similar in topography to Southwest Missouri and the Ozarks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
But you you and your husband will have quite a trek to make it to his beaches if you choose to live up there. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 12-01-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post

Otherwise, if you really want to be in/near the mountains, as was mentioned by someone else, you'll have to look 1.5-2 hours northwest in the Upstate region of SC (e.g., the Greenville metro area or in and around Clemson - this region is probably vaguely similar in topography to Southwest Missouri and the Ozarks).
Pretty good description. Upstate SC has always reminded me of the Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers string of pearls in the Ozarks.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 19,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
But you you and your husband will have quite a trek to make it to his beaches if you choose to live up there. Decisions, decisions.
Decisions is one thing I'm not good at. I think the Columbia area is a good compromise for us.

Not only are we trying to decide between being closer to the mountains or the coast, we are trying to decide on living in a larger city or a smaller town.

We both go back and forth between wanting a more urban area vs living in a smaller town like we live in now. 90% of the time I love the fact that we live in a small town with few amenities. Quiet, safe, very little traffic, and small town festivities are very nice and then other times when we have to travel outside of town for any culture, decent restaurants, and even going to see a movie can be a little annoying. So we know we will not look at thing as small as where we live now.

Lexington sounds promising. It has way more than we are used to having, and Columbia seems to be about the same distance away as what we are used to traveling now to get to more activities.

Although Rock Hill wasn't even on my radar, I do like a lot of things I have read on their website. But then if we started considering that area would would probably start looking at Greenville too. How is the topography in Rock Hill area?

I think we will definitely visit the Greenville area, along with Columbia, and surrounding towns (Newberry and Lexington) and spend a few days in Charleston as well.

We have decided to come the 3rd week of February now because it looks like the weather is usually just a little bit nicer than in mid January.

We will also be checking out some of the mentioned neighborhoods mentioned by Chi2Midlands and waccamatt thank you both for those suggestions.

I appreciate all the great info others have provided as well, thank you all very much!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
You're welcome. Enjoy your tour of the state.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin.girl View Post
But then if we started considering that area would would probably start looking at Greenville too. How is the topography in Rock Hill area?

I think we will definitely visit the Greenville area, along with Columbia, and surrounding towns (Newberry and Lexington) and spend a few days in Charleston as well.
Welcome.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Definitely check out both Columbia and Greenville. Columbia is more centrally located but is a hike from the mountains. Greenville is about a 3 hour drive from the beaches.

If you want a small town with some charm and culture, check out Aiken. Lots of retirees and money in that town.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,068 times
I live in Lexington. Do not recommend at all, can't wait to sell. Course, I wouldn't recommend anywhere near Columbia, but that's a personal opinion and not a bash to those who love it. Everybody's taste is a little different.

If you're willing to go about an hour down I-20 toward Augusta, I HIGHLY recommend Aiken. Still a 2 hour drive to the beach (Hilton Head, Charleston, Savannah...close to 3 and a half hour drive to Myrtle Beach area). 2 to 3 hour drive to the mountains depending on where you're going. 20-30 minutes to Augusta for a big city feel. Historic, large downtown with many local shops, bars, and restaurants. About 30,000 people but still has a small, homely feel. Big box stores, chain restaurants, and a mall are on the southside of town, saving you a trip somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 19,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
I live in Lexington. Do not recommend at all, can't wait to sell. Course, I wouldn't recommend anywhere near Columbia, but that's a personal opinion and not a bash to those who love it. Everybody's taste is a little different.
Can you tell me what you dislike most about Lexington. Also what was it about Lexington that brought you to purchase there in the first place.

If you were to move where would you go?

Aiken sounds very nice and the location would work but, and I may be wrong but cost of living looks to be higher.

Although we will be living on my husband's pension it will be a meager one. We may both want to look for jobs so want to be within driving distance to a sizable city. I am a hair stylist by trade and love what I do but I am not sure I will want to start building a clientele all over again. But you never know...

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,068 times
I did not buy. I was dating my now wife and she was living in an apartment in Lexington and decided to buy. Unfortunately, she bought under the 3-year tax credit so when we married, I had to move here because we can't sell until next fall. I spent many years growing up in Aiken and then lived there again when I first began teaching and coaching. I moved from Aiken to Lexington and cannot wait to go back.

Dislikes about Lexington? Where to begin? Virtually no downtown. Higher taxes. Elitist attitudes from people who live on the lake or whose families have lived here forever. Spoiled children who feel entitled to everything. I have never in my life met so many people who have the mentality of "I live on Lake Murray, therefore I can and will talk down to you" or "Don't you know my last name? My family has lived here for (x) amount of years, so you just shut up and listen." When it comes to teaching/coaching, I have had too many cases of "My parents make more than you, I don't have to listen to you."

I taught/coached at 3 different high schools in Aiken County. Loved them all. I first worked in Lexington 2 here and hated it because the coaching wasn't fun and the administration did not support its teachers. I took a job in Lexington 1 (which is the town of Lexington) this year. While Lex 1 are great schools with great academics, I have never worked at a place so unprofessional.

I also find the traffic to be ridiculous for a town the size of Lexington. It seems it got too big too fast. And the drivers here, whew...they love cruising in that left lane to cause traffic. Right lane open, but 20 cars in the left. Absurd.

Oh yeah, I do not like this house and it is something I would never buy. I tried to talk her out of buying, but she liked her teaching job in Lexington 1 and wanted to buy. She, too, now hates this place and is ready to go next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area