U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 PM

318 posts, read 576,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmom2828 View Post
Hi. Thank you everyone who provided information as it was all a great help. My daughter decided to accept the job in Knoxville and I'm thrilled for her. She is already in a hotel in Knoxville and the moving company will be packing her next weekend. She found an apartment at Amberleigh Bluffs and has her name on a list for a rental loft downtown.
We took all the suggestions and spent a weekend in Knoxville and Columbia. After those trips the decision became easy. We stayed in the Marriott in Knoxville and had a beautiful view of the mountains, but the hotel rooms could use a remodel in my opinion. In Columbia we stayed at the Marriott also and those rooms desperately need a remodel in my opinion. In Knoxville we ate at Cafe 4 and we also went to Sapphire, but I felt like it was more of a bar. My daughter loved it, but I felt old and out of place. To be young again, right? Cafe 4 was excellent and I would suggest this to anyone visiting Knoxville. In Columbia, everyone at the hotel suggested The Blue Marlin. We did not enjoy this restaurant. The seafood I'm guessing is not flown in daily. Service in the restaurants in Knoxville and Columbia were generally good. My daughter really liked West Hills Mall in Knoxville and we spent some time shopping. The shopping in Knoxville felt better to us in comparison to Columbia. The decision was made easy thanks to the people we met. Everyone in Knoxville was lovely and friendly to a fault. We also felt a good deal of pride in Knoxville for the city and the university, but a welcoming spirit at the same time. Columbia felt cold to us. Some people were friendly, but many people we met were not. We heard more about all the nearby places like Charlotte and Charleston than we did about Columbia. I know people in Columbia are proud of their home too, but we heard more bitterness than pride.
Thank you again everyone, and I guess my daughter and I will need to learn how to say Go Vols with that sweet Tennessee twang.

I might add my daughter and I do not judge a city based on internet forums. But some of the bickering and name calling post here and on other forums about Columbia dampened our enthusiasm for our visit.
Ah, smart girl. Glad she was able to see both in person before she made her choice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM

10,694 posts, read 6,362,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
Ah, smart girl. Glad she was able to see both in person before she made her choice.
Yes, but too bad the perceptions about Columbia beforehand were already poisoned by pathetic losers who have since been banned, thank God.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,249,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes, but too bad the perceptions about Columbia beforehand were already poisoned by pathetic losers who have since been banned, thank God.
Nevertheless, there is some reason that Columbia's MSA has a larger population and is growing more rapidly.

2012 State & Metro Population Estimates

At the current rate our MSA will break 800,000 in August or September of this year.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM

7,108 posts, read 5,445,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Nevertheless, there is some reason that Columbia's MSA has a larger population and is growing more rapidly.

At the current rate our MSA will break 800,000 in August or September of this year.
The U.S. Census Bureau releases its MSA and county estimates as of July 2011 tomorrow, April 5th. I wonder how their numbers (the ones to go by) will compare to that outfit's numbers.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The U.S. Census Bureau releases its MSA and county estimates as of July 2011 tomorrow, April 5th. I wonder how their numbers (the ones to go by) will compare to that outfit's numbers.
Their estimates were for January 2012 so it will be interesting.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM

8,844 posts, read 13,004,480 times
Who cares which metro area is larger? If you do, I suggest packing up and moving to Atlanta. You can brag all you want about being bigger and better then. Oh and Columbia will have a larger MSA than Knoxville along with Greenville for a long time to come so get over it.

Last edited by g-man430; 04-04-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM

10,694 posts, read 6,362,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Who cares which metro area is larger? If you do, I suggest packing up and moving to Atlanta. You can brag all you want about being bigger and better then. Oh and Columbia will have a larger MSA than Knoxville along with Greenville for a long time to come so get over it.
The point of bringing up population figures and growth in this case is that even in spite of the worthless cretin's efforts to dissuade someone from moving here (and a couple others), Columbia is still posting respectable growth numbers--larger than Knoxville's, which was the other city under consideration--so his endeavors are really having no effect when you look at the big picture.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The point of bringing up population figures and growth in this case is that even in spite of the worthless cretin's efforts to dissuade someone from moving here (and a couple others), Columbia is still posting respectable growth numbers--larger than Knoxville's, which was the other city under consideration--so his endeavors are really having no effect when you look at the big picture.
Thank you; I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,587,645 times
Quote:
I am still not sure this thread was not started by who you are talking about. Surprisingly, he was bashing Greenville on UP.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:01 AM

3,172 posts, read 3,273,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post

One county and you will have to grab a different hat. Lol. GSA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area