U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM

11 posts, read 27,134 times

Advertisements

Thank you all. I wish my daughter had time to spend in both cities, but these job offers do not afford her that luxury. The decision must be made rather rapidly.
Can someone advise on crime in Columbia vs Knoxville? Which is safer? Columbiadata, with all due respect, she is not moving to DC, so I do not care about their crime. 10 murders in a small place like Columbia sounds like a good many. Almost one a month.
Lagoon7, you mentioned your breakin, are there a good number of property crimes?
Are joggers safe?
Vistatiger and Sonofaque86 thank you since you have lived in both cities. Vistatiger, your advice about Knoxville being a nicer place is the same information I have been finding through the many forums I've been on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM

7,231 posts, read 5,709,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmom2828 View Post
Thank you all. I wish my daughter had time to spend in both cities, but these job offers do not afford her that luxury. The decision must be made rather rapidly.
Can someone advise on crime in Columbia vs Knoxville? Which is safer? Columbiadata, with all due respect, she is not moving to DC, so I do not care about their crime. 10 murders in a small place like Columbia sounds like a good many. Almost one a month.
Lagoon7, you mentioned your breakin, are there a good number of property crimes?
Are joggers safe?
Vistatiger and Sonofaque86 thank you since you have lived in both cities. Vistatiger, your advice about Knoxville being a nicer place is the same information I have been finding through the many forums I've been on.
My comparison was per capita. If she hangs out in the dark areas in bad neighborhoods here she probably still won't get shot. I just looked up Knoxville's murders per 100,000. In 2010 there were 15 murders in the city and they city has roughly 180,000 people, maybe 185,000. There were the same number of murders in Columbia in 2010 with 129,000 residents. I'm sure that in Knoxville as in Columbia, if you stay out of certain neighborhoods you don't get shot. And I see male and female joggers jogging alone all over Columbia. I could stop and ask them if they feel safe, but they might report me.

Last edited by Columbiadata; 01-06-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,243,447 times
Quote:
Are joggers safe?
Given that you are pressed for time, you should just contact the police departments to get the crime reports for the last 6 mos or year.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM

53 posts, read 61,287 times
Quote:
In reading through this and other forums today, I'm finding a good deal of posts about shootings, muggings, gang violence, etc.
Please keep in mind that there are posters on this forum (and the same posters also go to other forums) who spend time every day creating and perpetuating threads for anything negative they can find about Columbia. This is their way of 'getting back' at the area, even though they've never lived here. It really is as juvenile as it sounds, and if you read back through the archives paying attention to the actual posters it becomes quite obvious.

Quote:
In comparison to Knoxville, I'm sensing Columbia's crime may be higher and more of an issue. Has anyone lived in both?
This feeling is probably skewed by the agenda of others to cast doubt on Columbia. Every instance of crime in Columbia that makes the papers is also plastered all over these internet forums.

Here are some actual numbers:

City-Data (scroll down to the crime table):
Columbia
Knoxville

Neighborhood Scout:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Columbia definitely isn't rosey, but from the actual data it looks like Knoxville is facing even bigger problems. According to the metrics used by Neighborhood Scout Columbia is safer than 5% of American cities, and Knoxville is in that 5%. If the jogger incident in Five Points makes you squeamish, take a look at the news stories from Knoxville in January 2007.

As far as Columbia, the vast majority of the violent crime is non-random, including the recent restaurant shooting. If you want real insight into the cities' crime situations, I would contact the respective police departments in addition to collecting personal anecdotes. There's crime everywhere, but even a few dozen people's personal experiences will not paint an accurate picture of an entire city. Here are up-to-date crime maps down to the neighborhood for Columbia: Crime Mapping (http://www.columbiapd.net/crimemap.htm - broken link).

As grim as this all sounds, most people I know do not feel unsafe at all living in Columbia. There are certain areas to avoid and there is occasional random violence, but this can be said for most cities. For what it's worth, I personally consider Five Points to be one of the areas to avoid at night, although during the day it's a completely different scene.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 10:14 AM

517 posts, read 1,112,394 times
I am a jogger and live in the NE area of Columbia. I have not had any problems here. I feel very safe and have yet to find an area in Columbia that made me feel even the lightest bit uncomfortable.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM

161 posts, read 401,892 times
There are emergency call boxes in the area around the USC campus. I would not advise a young woman to walk or run alone at night, no matter what city she lives in. By the same token, I seriously doubt that there is a statistically greater risk of being a random crime victim in either city. Being a college town, there are plenty of active young women in Columbia (and Knoxville) who do just fine. I work downtown and have to walk a couple blocks to my car each night, and I never feel unsafe. Granted, I am male but several of my female coworkers do the same and have never had problems. Most of the crime is confined to areas that she probably would be able to identify easily and stay away from. She could probably talk to folks from the prospective employer and get recommendations for good neighborhoods nearby. I definitely don't think of Columbia as unsafe, and I wouldn't let that concern drive my decision. Columbia can be a great place to live; it just depends on personal preferences.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM

318 posts, read 587,513 times
This city's forum is the only one I have ever been in where some of the members have such a preoccupation with this conspiracy theory about people coming in and "casting doubt" on a city. Sorry folks, there is such a thing as difference of opinion.

Flmom, I don't know the exact statistics, but from what I've heard from people and seen on crime maps, Knoxville's crime is mostly relegated to the the university area (minor stuff that you see in any college campus) and an area that I was told is the "bad part of town." We still feel safe in our neighborhood, our neighbors are mostly retired military and the burglar who hit us apparently didn't know that. There are places like Lake Carolina and Wildewood that I would have no problem walking or jogging after dark. Other places such as Forest Acres (where you can be in a beautiful neighborhood and then one street over is crushing poverty) I would definitely avoid.

Last edited by lagoon7; 01-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Can't spell!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 PM

7,231 posts, read 5,709,149 times
That's silly, IMO. There is as much crime in the outlying areas as in the city. And I don't think of it as a conspiracy. I think of it as a strange hobby. I could better understand if the hobbyist(s) ever said anything negative about their own city.

Last edited by Columbiadata; 01-06-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,681,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
This city's forum is the only one I have ever been in where some of the members have such a preoccupation with this conspiracy theory about people coming in and "casting doubt" on a city. Sorry folks, there is such a thing as difference of opinion.

Flmom, I don't know the exact statistics, but from what I've heard from people and seen on crime maps, Knoxville's crime is mostly relegated to the the university area (minor stuff that you see in any college campus) and an area that I was told is the "bad part of town." We still feel safe in our neighborhood, our neighbors are mostly retired military and the burglar who hit us apparently didn't know that. There are places like Lake Carolina and Wildewood that I would have no problem walking or jogging after dark. Other places such as Forest Acres (where you can be in a beautiful neighborhood and then one street over is crushing poverty) I would definitely avoid.
Actually Lagoon7, there are some posters who have an agenda against Columbia. You would not have to read too many posts by some to get a sense that their intentions are nothing more than to bash a city. Some of the same posters are on other city forums spreading the same garbage. There is a difference between opinion and trash talk, not sure how you could read some of the posts and get a different opinion.

Personally, I would no base a decision on where to move based on an internet forum. IMO, Columbia has many nice areas. Like all cities, crime can happen anywhere. You brought up the Forest Acres example which is similar to some neighborhoods in Charlotte.....Eastover has multi million dollar homes not too far from very poor areas. I would have no promblem walking in Eastover or Forest Acres.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM

318 posts, read 587,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Actually Lagoon7, there are some posters who have an agenda against Columbia. You would not have to read too many posts by some to get a sense that their intentions are nothing more than to bash a city. Some of the same posters are on other city forums spreading the same garbage. There is a difference between opinion and trash talk, not sure how you could read some of the posts and get a different opinion.
If that's true there are some incredibly bored people put there who should find something productive to do. That goes for the negative and overtly positive posters. I've noticed it can go both ways, I just figured people like to argue like on every other Internet site known to man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area