U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 AM

519 posts, read 1,827,107 times

Advertisements

I don't get all this petty bashing here. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but to bash someone for theirs is really juvenile.

I don't have a vested interest in Columbia or any other city for that matter. I offer my opinions based on my actual experiences and try to remember that one man's trash is another man's treasure. I absolutely HATED Seattle (lived there for the first 50 years of my life). I could not wait to get the heck out of there and I will never go back unless its for a brief visit! I feel far safer here in Columbia than I ever did in Seattle. On the other hand, many of my family and friends love it there and will never live anywhere else. If someone were contemplating moving to Seattle, they would get very opposite opinions from me versus my family/friends. Who is right??? Neither! None of us can predict what another person's experience will be. It's all one own perspective and experiences from other places that will shape their opinions.

For those who come to the board to continually bash Columbia, how difficult is is to state your opinion and then move on???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 AM

6,530 posts, read 13,709,874 times
There is only one poster on here that I know for a fact has multiple accounts and it isn't Columbiadata. Yes, Data is a "sunshine pumper", but I would much rather have someone always try to point out the positives than have someone who only speaks of doom and gloom or someone who posts outright lies.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,090,012 times
If you have multiple accounts to bash one particular city, isn't that kind of an obsession with it?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM

9,482 posts, read 13,181,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
There is only one poster on here that I know for a fact has multiple accounts and it isn't Columbiadata. Yes, Data is a "sunshine pumper", but I would much rather have someone always try to point out the positives than have someone who only speaks of doom and gloom or someone who posts outright lies.
Actually, if you read many of my posts carefully you'll see that the "sunshine" sometimes merely shines through, despite whatever negative point(s) you may find within the posting. Anyone can do that. It just takes a positive outlook. Anyone can find negatives about any city and post them, if that's the outlook they wish to have. I just can't see posting only positives, real or perceived, about your own city, and only negatives, real or perceived, about another one.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 AM

324 posts, read 874,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
I feel far safer here in Columbia than I ever did in Seattle.
That's, uh, something. I don't know what parts of Seattle you were frequenting, but wow.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
That's, uh, something. I don't know what parts of Seattle you were frequenting, but wow.
Columbia is safe.....as with EVERY city, there are parts I would not go in but, this is in no way a city that has crime at every corner. I understand people get emotional but, when looking at this on a rational level, you all are way overstating crime in Columbia.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,768,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Hah, I thought I was the only one that recognized Columbiadata as the resident troll for this subforum. I have noticed most regulars ignoring him lately, which I've joined in doing, but that hasn't quelled his thirst for attention. I'm quite certain that he has a few extra accounts here, himself (they only show up when his Columbiadata posts go unanswered).
This is a cheap shot.....sure CD loves Columbia. But, what is wrong with that?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:32 AM

28 posts, read 96,216 times
Columbia is OK. I've lived here for 4 years. Here are some random thoughts based on my time here.

Negatives:
-Traffic seems pretty bad at certain choke points ("malfunction junction" and Elmwood/Bull st come to mind) for a small city. On the whole traffic is not that bad though but you might as well move if you live west of the city before they redo the "junction".... it's gonna be a NIGHTMARE.
-Our politicians are about as petty, inept, and unproductive as they come
-Car Tax.... I pay about 300$/yr in taxes on a car worth 18k. This negates the "lower cost of living" label that people love to use to promote this State.
-Summer can be VERY hot
-Automobile drivers are terrible. Blinkers are hardly used, lanes ignored, etc. If it is raining expect backups as people have no clue how to handle themselves. Snow? Just forget driving if it snows. Thankfully it's a rare event.
-Poor economy. Nuff said.

Positives:
-Relaxed gun laws. Some might see this as a negative but I see it as freedom. You daughter can keep a loaded pistol in her glovebox without any kind of permit if she is legally allowed to own one!
-The rivers! Our rivers are a major blessing and are very accessible. Great for kayaking, fishing, jogging along, tubing, and swimming. One note is that our waste water treatment plants spill sewage into them several times a year. Columbia's plant has spilled so much that the EPA has gotten involved (this goes back to petty/inept politicians... cough cough CITY of COLUMBIA).
-Fall/Spring/Winter weather! It's great!
-Proximity to the coast and mountains. This seems overplayed but it is very true. I can backpack and fish in the mountains or sit with a beer on the Atlantic on any day I choose.
-Cheap gasoline
-People here are generally pretty decent and friendly
-The police culture is very laid back. I guess this is a blessing and curse as they won't hassle you but driver habits have deteriorated. Cars without headlights, trailers without tail lights, etc. All in all this is a win, having lived in some areas were police will get you for the smallest thing.

I can't speak to Knoxville but its proximity to the Smoky Mountains is VERY nice!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM

9,482 posts, read 13,181,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_I View Post
Columbia is OK. I've lived here for 4 years. Here are some random thoughts based on my time here.

Negatives:
-Traffic seems pretty bad at certain choke points ("malfunction junction" and Elmwood/Bull st come to mind) for a small city. On the whole traffic is not that bad though but you might as well move if you live west of the city before they redo the "junction".... it's gonna be a NIGHTMARE.
-Our politicians are about as petty, inept, and unproductive as they come
-Car Tax.... I pay about 300$/yr in taxes on a car worth 18k. This negates the "lower cost of living" label that people love to use to promote this State.
-Summer can be VERY hot
-Automobile drivers are terrible. Blinkers are hardly used, lanes ignored, etc. If it is raining expect backups as people have no clue how to handle themselves. Snow? Just forget driving if it snows. Thankfully it's a rare event.
-Poor economy. Nuff said.

Positives:
-Relaxed gun laws. Some might see this as a negative but I see it as freedom. You daughter can keep a loaded pistol in her glovebox without any kind of permit if she is legally allowed to own one!
-The rivers! Our rivers are a major blessing and are very accessible. Great for kayaking, fishing, jogging along, tubing, and swimming. One note is that our waste water treatment plants spill sewage into them several times a year. Columbia's plant has spilled so much that the EPA has gotten involved (this goes back to petty/inept politicians... cough cough CITY of COLUMBIA).
-Fall/Spring/Winter weather! It's great!
-Proximity to the coast and mountains. This seems overplayed but it is very true. I can backpack and fish in the mountains or sit with a beer on the Atlantic on any day I choose.
-Cheap gasoline
-People here are generally pretty decent and friendly
-The police culture is very laid back. I guess this is a blessing and curse as they won't hassle you but driver habits have deteriorated. Cars without headlights, trailers without tail lights, etc. All in all this is a win, having lived in some areas were police will get you for the smallest thing.

I can't speak to Knoxville but its proximity to the Smoky Mountains is VERY nice!
Metro Columbia added 8,000+ jobs in 2011, the most in the state. Economists say look at jobs added, not the unemployment rate, to measure economic progress. The metro unemployment rate was 7.9 the same week the nation's was 9. So, while the area's economy needs more recovery, it could be worse. There's some more of my sunshine. NOTE: I said the area's economy needs more recovery. Gloomy enough?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM

519 posts, read 1,827,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
You must not travel much. Many places are far worse than Columbia as far as feeling safe. I lived in Seattle for over 50 years, so have been all over the place there. As with any city, there are good parts and bad parts. There were many in the greater Seattle area where I felt unsafe when I was out alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or