U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 PM

9,354 posts, read 12,628,740 times

Advertisements

Is godshonesttruth a new name for someone whose name I haven't seen in a while? To not see that name on this subject really makes me wonder. Could godshonesttruth and Flmom be the same person? Just because I keep it positive, that doesn't mean I lie. The charts I've been able to find show comparable crime stats for the two cities. Mentioning a worse per capita murder rate in a city that no one would call crummy makes a point. Making a point is not getting off topic. I said that out of 129,000 people, Columbia had 15 murders in 2010 and 10 in 2011. Is that positive? Or is it just what it is?

Last edited by Charlestondata; 01-09-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 AM

163 posts, read 570,068 times
Quote:
like one guy that goes by the names PalmettoGuy and Akhenaton06 and Mutiny77. All the same person.
False. This is my only City-Data account and the only one I've ever used. There is another user with a name very similar to mine (I think it is Palmetto_Guy), but I've been here with this name for several years before he/she joined. Not saying anything bad about this other poster, but I'm trying to point out that I'm not one user with multiple names.

Anyway, rather than try to smear other posters, why not take issue with the substance of what they are saying if you disagree?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 AM

20 posts, read 31,366 times
The quality of life and proximity for me votes in Knoxville unless the proximity to the beach is more important. Also crime has been on a steady increase in Columbia over the last few years compared to Knoxville. Unless you are a USC fan in which I am not then there are not ANY professional sports teams in Columbia because the city won't support anything that's not wearing garnet and black. In Knoxville you have IN ADDIOTION to the University of Tenn a minor league hockey and baseball team. The singles adults scene is much more vibrant in Knoxville as it seems like girls in columbia get married and have two kids the first chance they get leaving not much for singles in their mid 20's to mid 30's. Knoxville has many different singles groups and night clubs to choose from. Unless if the boring beach is your thing then Knoxville offers much more entertainment than Columbia.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 AM

January 4th made 28 years I've lived in Columbia. That's probably longer than half the people posting in this sub-forum have been alive. I have never felt unsafe here.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM

6,450 posts, read 13,306,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1964 View Post
Hi. I live in Texas, but looking to move. I've googled cities in states I'm interested in. Try that, then look in the profile of each city. Your daughter might be blinded by the pay she will get in S.C., but she needs to understand that safety is much more valuable. I've done in depth research on both cities and many more. Cost of living, cost to buy a house/condo, no state tax, proximity to mountains/recreation/hiking, biking, jogging trails provides many activities that cost virtually nothing, not to mention no hurricanes! If she survives a hurricane, her home or place of employment may not. I am NOT partial to either city. I am partial to cheap activities. Cheap cost of living and safety. My two cents- google the cities- research each profile- talk it all over with her, and if she'll be living in a state different from yours.....pray. I wish you and her the best of luck. Take care and stay safe.
Hurricanes? Columbia is over 100 miles inland - hurricanes are not an issue. Amazing how much mis-information is spread.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM

3,759 posts, read 8,166,378 times
boy these threads can be a joy. Some of us do like where we live and others may not. Fine.
So just take the most positive report you get, and the most negative, and toss both out. Then look thru the rest to get your answers.
We sure didnt move here just cuz someone else gave it rave reviews, and I doubt my posting in WI that we left due to weather kept others from relocating up there. Use the site to gather general information, knowing it's full of opinions ( which in themselves can be full of.... lol) and add that to other data you read or hear about. then VISIT to help in your decision making...

Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM

92 posts, read 245,236 times
I've lived in both Knoxville and Columbia. I haven't taken the time to read through all of the rest of the responses, but I lived in Knoxville for 14 years then moved to Columbia in May 2010.

Honestly? I'm happy enough here, but Knoxville offered a better quality of living. Some reasons...
- Crime. I simply don't feel as comfortable here. There were places all over Knoxville where I'd feel very safe going for a walk alone, even at night. Here? My options are limited, and I've asked several people for suggestions and they can't even give me recommendations. I'm uncomfortable just taking off and driving around to explore the town. I never had that concern in Knoxville. It seems like higher-crime areas are spread all over the county here, instead of concentrated in a couple of easily-avoidable places as in Knoxville.
- Highways/roads are MUCH better there. No malfunction junction, no bumper-to-bumper. Even though there's a larger population, the road system is much better designed. Even the signage is much improved. I didn't know how good I had it there, until I moved here.
- Parks and outdoor activities are plentiful. The city has an amazing park system with tons of greenways. Columbia can't compare. Plus, I could be on a hiking trail in the Smokies in an hour. Hiking within an hour of Columbia is limited and not too exciting.
- No state income tax in TN.
- Knoxville's downtown scene keeps growing and is a lively destination on weekends. Columbia is trying but not there.
- Tons of free/cheap outdoor festivals in Knoxville. The entertainment budget stretches farther.
- Shopping - no comparison, better in Knoxville.
- Knoxville is more visually appealing with hills throughout the town and the mountains framing the metro area.
- I'm 32, not much older than your daughter. I spent my single years in Knoxville. I really do think she'd have more fun there.

Things I like better about Columbia:
- I can get to the beach in a day.
- People are generally more polite.
- I enjoy learning about the history of the area.
- Milder winters.
- I enjoy the diversity, although blacks and whites don't seem to interact as much socially as I was hoping to find.

All that to say... no, I'm not moving back to Knoxville. And I'm generally not a Columbia naysayer; I believe in blooming where I'm planted. I'm happy enough here and don't regret the decision to move since I have a great job and lovely home. But, in an honest comparison of Knoxville with Columbia, Knoxville's got the edge.

Last edited by Leah79; 01-13-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM

I think it takes longer than your length of time here to truly learn your way around so that you know without thinking where to go and not go. I heard on NPR today that they're (the proverbial they) are coming up with an app that will alert on you what neighborhoods to avoid. The only problem with that, they said on NPR, is that a neighborhood that is seemingly squeaky clean could very well end up being the next place someone gets abducted or shot, no matter what city you're in. It is true, though, that Columbia doesn't allow big areas of low-income housing so that there is no one big crime ghetto that becomes a trap in and of itself. That's why it might take longer to learn which way not to turn so that you avoid the areas that make you nervous.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM

11,544 posts, read 24,324,940 times
Let me say this. State Capitols are political by their very nature and because of it, these cities have a completely different vibe and feel. SC is a coastal state and more southern than TN. Most state governments are in the same economic mess.

All cities with a population of 100,000 have the same problems: crime, drugs, gangs, homesless, subsidized housing, gay haters, racisis, killers, sex-offenders, and every other human depravity known to man. It's a city of people - not a family enclave. You won't find Dallas or Miami type services in either one. You can find Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Apple, Costco and Lowe's in Columbia or Greenville or coming very soon near you.

What I found to be true time after time in nothern and sourthern cities both is very simple. State Goverments and county seats offer residents more and better services than other towns in their county. The exception is a state where there is a very large dominant city like Illinois and Chicago, or a state where there is a large toursit area. In these towns the services are usually excellent, far better than the county seat and sometiimes better than the state capitol city. Bear in mind there are few cities in America that qualitify as an all year tourist draw. The bottom line is the capitol cities and the county seats win if your lookiing for good services..

Aesthetics and amenities are subjective. The area with $1500 apartments will certainly be safer and much nicer than those with the $500 apartments. You get what you pay for; sometimes. Be careful what you ask for.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 20,397,642 times
When I think about Columbia, SC, and Knoxville, TN, one thing comes to mind. Does she like hot weather and the beach. I was born in the mountains of NC and stayed with my brother and his wife for two weeks one Summer in the low country of South Carolina. It has to be the hottest place in the world, or so I thought at the time.

Columbia is closer to the beach than Knoxville which would be the only draw for some people. I am not a big fan of Knoxville either. Knoxville has some really bad storms. Have you looked them both up on City-Data?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Knoxville-Tennessee.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...-Carolina.html

While looking back and forth at these two cities, I realize that even with the heat, I would choose Columbia. The main reason would be the wonderful Winters there. South Carolina is much more receptive to people moving in too, I would think. They are used to having outsiders around because of so many tourists.

Last edited by NCN; 01-13-2012 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or