U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

324 posts, read 873,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
South Carolina is much more receptive to people moving in too, I would think. They are used to having outsiders around because of so many tourists.
Yeah...I don't know about that. While there are certainly people who live in rural areas that would be annoyed by the influx of halfbacks and others, this happens everywhere. As far as Knoxville goes, it houses one of the largest universities in the united states, so I doubt the residents of that town are unused to outsiders.

Last edited by linicx; 01-14-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,762,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
Yeah...I don't know about that. While there are certainly people who live in rural areas that would be annoyed by the influx of halfbacks and others, this happens everywhere. As far as Knoxville goes, it houses one of the largest universities in the united states, so I doubt the residents of that town are unused to outsiders.
I don't see a problem with people moving into Columbia. Most everyone that I know in Columbia is from other parts of the country and beyond. Does everyone like it, no. But, not everyone likes Charlotte either. And, that is the point. Some are happy with a slower pace that SC offers, some are not. But, the people in Columbia are some of the nicest and most welcoming that I have met anywhere in the south.

As for crime, that is easy to look up. I think the statistics (the most unbiased measure available - ask the mortgage companies about ignoring statistics-.....not silly comments about isolated incidents made by a few who have anti Columbia agendas) have refuted the notion that Columbia has more crime than Knoxville, they appear to be identical.

Personally, I would pick Columbia. Aside from liking the city, I would rather be closer to a beach than the mountains. For the amenities that are not found in cities of this size, great shopping, pro sports (NFL, NBA, PGA etc....), direct flights, Charlotte is about an hour up I77, Knoxville is much more isolated.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:51 PM

6,524 posts, read 13,696,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I don't see a problem with people moving into Columbia. Most everyone that I know in Columbia is from other parts of the country and beyond. Does everyone like it, no. But, not everyone likes Charlotte either. And, that is the point. Some are happy with a slower pace that SC offers, some are not. But, the people in Columbia are some of the nicest and most welcoming that I have met anywhere in the south.

As for crime, that is easy to look up. I think the statistics (the most unbiased measure available - ask the mortgage companies about ignoring statistics-.....not silly comments about isolated incidents made by a few who have anti Columbia agendas) have refuted the notion that Columbia has more crime than Knoxville, they appear to be identical.

Personally, I would pick Columbia. Aside from liking the city, I would rather be closer to a beach than the mountains. For the amenities that are not found in cities of this size, great shopping, pro sports (NFL, NBA, PGA etc....), direct flights, Charlotte is about an hour up I77, Knoxville is much more isolated.
I think GSP hit the nail on the head - the thing I like the most about Columbia is the people - it is a diverse, welcoming community and most people here are genuinely friendly and accepting wherever someone is from.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM

My only response is that you've made 41 posts and I've made over 3300. You have way too much anger. Freedom of speech is my right as an American citizen and I will not be "shut up".

Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 AM

9,474 posts, read 13,161,108 times
Columbia is a nice city. I've lived here 28 years. I visited Knoxville in the '90's and thought it was nice then, and I drove past it in the 2000's and it still looked fine. OP, your daughter can't go wrong.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM

55 posts, read 99,388 times
Well you gotta watch out for hurricanes all over South Carolina. I remember Hugo was still level 1 when it went over Charlotte. Trees and power lines down everywhere. Columbia is in the path. They don't happen much though. Main thing in Columbia to watch out for is crime. Tell her to stay outa 5 Points. That place has a shootin almost every month. Same place that jogger got beat by those kids. Cars gettin broke into. 5 Points is bad news.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,762,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101everett View Post
Well you gotta watch out for hurricanes all over South Carolina. I remember Hugo was still level 1 when it went over Charlotte. Trees and power lines down everywhere. Columbia is in the path. They don't happen much though. Main thing in Columbia to watch out for is crime. Tell her to stay outa 5 Points. That place has a shootin almost every month. Same place that jogger got beat by those kids. Cars gettin broke into. 5 Points is bad news.
Main thing to watch for in Cola is not crime.......we have been over this many times in different threads, look up the data.

And no, there is not a "shootin" every month.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 PM

There is crime in Five Points, but you also have to realize that hundreds of thousands of people visit Five Points every year and any time you have such a sizable number of people then there are going to be crimes committed. It doesn't mean it is acceptable, but it is a fact of life. I don't feel endangered when in Five Points - even at 3am on a Saturday or Sunday morning when I have a hankering for a New York pizza or a Hibachi stir fry.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 AM

3,805 posts, read 8,506,316 times
from what i was told by locals who lived here when Hugo hit the coast; the damage done in the midlands was by tornados spawned by the hurricane and not the hurricane itself. And if that's the case; well we can get heavy flooding rain from a summer t-storm and actually i'd be more concerned with tornados anyway as you can not plot their course with great accuracy. And tornados can and do happen all over the US (ive seen major destruction back in WI after some).

Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM

7,244 posts, read 13,142,770 times
Hurricane Hugo hit 22 and a half years ago. A baby born that day could legally be sitting in a bar sipping a mojito as we speak. We haven't seen anything remotely close to that since. South Carolina does get touched by hurricanes, but it's very rare that the damage makes it up to Columbia. I think that's fair to say, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or