U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM

9,482 posts, read 13,200,349 times

Advertisements

There's more of a chance your roof will cave in from a snow storm in Tennessee than there is you'll get hit by a hurricane in Columbia. As as soon as I say this something bad will happen, but the Five Points problem has been addressed by a police presence and security cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM

55 posts, read 99,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
from what i was told by locals who lived here when Hugo hit the coast; the damage done in the midlands was by tornados spawned by the hurricane and not the hurricane itself. And if that's the case; well we can get heavy flooding rain from a summer t-storm and actually i'd be more concerned with tornados anyway as you can not plot their course with great accuracy. And tornados can and do happen all over the US (ive seen major destruction back in WI after some).
Yeah. Tornados cause major damage but they happen all over the southeast. If your daughter is buying a house make sure she knows about flood and hurricane insurance and make sure she knows what is covered and what aint. A bunch of people in the midlands and upstate got suckered by the insurance companies during Hugo includin my uncle.

But anyway, if she stays out of Five Points, that is the best advice, cause crime is the main problem in Columbia.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,772,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101everett View Post
Yeah. Tornados cause major damage but they happen all over the southeast. If your daughter is buying a house make sure she knows about flood and hurricane insurance and make sure she knows what is covered and what aint. A bunch of people in the midlands and upstate got suckered by the insurance companies during Hugo includin my uncle.

But anyway, if she stays out of Five Points, that is the best advice, cause crime is the main problem in Columbia.
Dude, you keep talking about crime with no facts to back up your assertions. Others on here have provided many facts which do not support your claims. If you have any information, please share. As stated earlier, information from many sources contradict your claims. And, there were huge drops, up to 50%, in year over year crime for 2011.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Neither city appears on this list of America's 100 most dangerous cities. The daughter should be okay either way.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM

324 posts, read 875,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Main thing to watch for in Cola is not crime.......we have been over this many times in different threads, look up the data.

And no, there is not a "shootin" every month.
I guess you don't know anyone who works in the hospitals downtown, because there are shootings pretty much nightly.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
I guess you don't know anyone who works in the hospitals downtown, because there are shootings pretty much nightly.
Share your data.....shootings that result in a person being taken to a medical facility are automatically reported to the police. As such, they would show on police reports. In the past year, these types of crimes were down by as much as 50%. So, unless you have data to share, I don't think your statement about nightly shootings is remotely correct.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM

The shooters must be bad shots for there to be only 10 murders in the city in 2011. Most of the shootings seem to be in the counties these days.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM

324 posts, read 875,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Share your data.....shootings that result in a person being taken to a medical facility are automatically reported to the police. As such, they would show on police reports. In the past year, these types of crimes were down by as much as 50%. So, unless you have data to share, I don't think your statement about nightly shootings is remotely correct.
I'm not sure I know where I can find this supposedly confidential information. I know for a fact that the gang violence in Columbia is well known to police and hospital workers, and basically ignored by the media. When my family members who work downtown tell me about the gangbangers that roll in with non-lethal gunshot or knife wounds, they really don't have a reason to lie.

Unlike the "victims." "I was just mindin my own business (of course) when these three guys (it's always three guys) jumped me. No, I don't want the cops involved."

Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I know where I can find this supposedly confidential information. I know for a fact that the gang violence in Columbia is well known to police and hospital workers, and basically ignored by the media. When my family members who work downtown tell me about the gangbangers that roll in with non-lethal gunshot or knife wounds, they really don't have a reason to lie.

Unlike the "victims." "I was just mindin my own business (of course) when these three guys (it's always three guys) jumped me. No, I don't want the cops involved."
That information is not confidential, it is reported by CPD and grouped according to the type of crime. I suspect that a shooting would qualify as attempted murder or aggrevated assault. Since these types of crimes are down by close to 50% year over year, I am a little suspect that these things happen nightly. I am also suspect of someone's objective opinion when they list their city beginning with "ghetto".

I understand Columbia has crime, all cities of a decent size have crime. Similar to your experience, I was almost jumped on Meeting Street in Charleston, thanks to my friends, the suspect backed down. One experience does not make Charleston or Columbia a crime filled city, objective data would give a better picture.

Just curious, where are you moving?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

6,536 posts, read 13,726,654 times
Quote:
The hospitals in Columbia serve all counties in the Midlands and Palmetto Richland is the highest level trauma center in the Midlands so cases handled there are not just from Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or