U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,757,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The hospitals in Columbia serve all counties in the Midlands and Palmetto Richland is the highest level trauma center in the Midlands so cases handled there are not just from Columbia.
Good point.....forgot about Columbia hospital serving a wider audience than just the immediate counties. Sounds like Palmetto is like Carolinas Medical Center in that it is the only level 1 trauma center in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,037,523 times
Interesting, I just saw a list that claim Spartanburg is listed as the 8th on the 100 most dangerous cities. Neither G'ville or Columbia was mentioned but Myrtle Beach was.on the same list.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM

324 posts, read 873,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
That information is not confidential, it is reported by CPD and grouped according to the type of crime. I suspect that a shooting would qualify as attempted murder or aggrevated assault. Since these types of crimes are down by close to 50% year over year, I am a little suspect that these things happen nightly. I am also suspect of someone's objective opinion when they list their city beginning with "ghetto".

I understand Columbia has crime, all cities of a decent size have crime. Similar to your experience, I was almost jumped on Meeting Street in Charleston, thanks to my friends, the suspect backed down. One experience does not make Charleston or Columbia a crime filled city, objective data would give a better picture.

Just curious, where are you moving?
haha no, I haven't been jumped here. I'm smart enough to stay out of places that I'm not wanted. That's what the gangbangers always say when they come into the hospital. The only data I could find is that violent crime went down 7% from 2008-2009, and 50% since 1975. I don't know what the heck was going on in Columbia in the 70's, but I'm glad I wasn't part of it.

Last edited by lagoon7; 01-23-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM

9,450 posts, read 13,136,246 times
A woman who was 8 1/2 months pregnant was murdered in her bedroom in Knoxville the other day.

Pregnant Knoxville woman's death leads to homicide investigation

And man wearing dread locks was shot and killed on a street corner on the edge of Rosewood in Columbia tonight.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/01/28/2...-rosewood.html

Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 AM

9,450 posts, read 13,136,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
A woman who was 8 1/2 months pregnant was murdered in her bedroom in Knoxville the other day.

Pregnant Knoxville woman's death leads to homicide investigation

And man wearing dread locks was shot and killed on a street corner on the edge of Rosewood in Columbia tonight.

Man shot to death in Rosewood - Crime & Courts - TheState.com
Correction: The man with the dreadlocks is the suspect.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM

55 posts, read 99,313 times
Man, I read in the paper this week some crazy man is goin all around Columbia and showin his stuff to women he sees joggin. If your daughter jogs tell her she oughta carry a can of pepper spray.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM

3,805 posts, read 8,491,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101everett View Post
Man, I read in the paper this week some crazy man is goin all around Columbia and showin his stuff to women he sees joggin. If your daughter jogs tell her she oughta carry a can of pepper spray.
well you are allowed to carry a gun here.. maybe just say you thought he pulled out his "weapon" so you had to draw down on him....

ohhh, just thinking out loud.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM

11 posts, read 37,039 times
Hi. Thank you everyone who provided information as it was all a great help. My daughter decided to accept the job in Knoxville and I'm thrilled for her. She is already in a hotel in Knoxville and the moving company will be packing her next weekend. She found an apartment at Amberleigh Bluffs and has her name on a list for a rental loft downtown.
We took all the suggestions and spent a weekend in Knoxville and Columbia. After those trips the decision became easy. We stayed in the Marriott in Knoxville and had a beautiful view of the mountains, but the hotel rooms could use a remodel in my opinion. In Columbia we stayed at the Marriott also and those rooms desperately need a remodel in my opinion. In Knoxville we ate at Cafe 4 and we also went to Sapphire, but I felt like it was more of a bar. My daughter loved it, but I felt old and out of place. To be young again, right? Cafe 4 was excellent and I would suggest this to anyone visiting Knoxville. In Columbia, everyone at the hotel suggested The Blue Marlin. We did not enjoy this restaurant. The seafood I'm guessing is not flown in daily. Service in the restaurants in Knoxville and Columbia were generally good. My daughter really liked West Hills Mall in Knoxville and we spent some time shopping. The shopping in Knoxville felt better to us in comparison to Columbia. The decision was made easy thanks to the people we met. Everyone in Knoxville was lovely and friendly to a fault. We also felt a good deal of pride in Knoxville for the city and the university, but a welcoming spirit at the same time. Columbia felt cold to us. Some people were friendly, but many people we met were not. We heard more about all the nearby places like Charlotte and Charleston than we did about Columbia. I know people in Columbia are proud of their home too, but we heard more bitterness than pride.
Thank you again everyone, and I guess my daughter and I will need to learn how to say Go Vols with that sweet Tennessee twang.

I might add my daughter and I do not judge a city based on internet forums. But some of the bickering and name calling post here and on other forums about Columbia dampened our enthusiasm for our visit.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:34 PM

47 posts, read 99,839 times
Congrats! Enjoy the Smokies and hope y'all enjoy that area. My mom lives outside of Knoxville and I always find some place new to explore on my visits!

Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 AM

117 posts, read 117,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmom2828 View Post
Hi. Thank you everyone who provided information as it was all a great help. My daughter decided to accept the job in Knoxville and I'm thrilled for her. She is already in a hotel in Knoxville and the moving company will be packing her next weekend. She found an apartment at Amberleigh Bluffs and has her name on a list for a rental loft downtown.
We took all the suggestions and spent a weekend in Knoxville and Columbia. After those trips the decision became easy. We stayed in the Marriott in Knoxville and had a beautiful view of the mountains, but the hotel rooms could use a remodel in my opinion. In Columbia we stayed at the Marriott also and those rooms desperately need a remodel in my opinion. In Knoxville we ate at Cafe 4 and we also went to Sapphire, but I felt like it was more of a bar. My daughter loved it, but I felt old and out of place. To be young again, right? Cafe 4 was excellent and I would suggest this to anyone visiting Knoxville. In Columbia, everyone at the hotel suggested The Blue Marlin. We did not enjoy this restaurant. The seafood I'm guessing is not flown in daily. Service in the restaurants in Knoxville and Columbia were generally good. My daughter really liked West Hills Mall in Knoxville and we spent some time shopping. The shopping in Knoxville felt better to us in comparison to Columbia. The decision was made easy thanks to the people we met. Everyone in Knoxville was lovely and friendly to a fault. We also felt a good deal of pride in Knoxville for the city and the university, but a welcoming spirit at the same time. Columbia felt cold to us. Some people were friendly, but many people we met were not. We heard more about all the nearby places like Charlotte and Charleston than we did about Columbia. I know people in Columbia are proud of their home too, but we heard more bitterness than pride.
Thank you again everyone, and I guess my daughter and I will need to learn how to say Go Vols with that sweet Tennessee twang.

I might add my daughter and I do not judge a city based on internet forums. But some of the bickering and name calling post here and on other forums about Columbia dampened our enthusiasm for our visit.
I hope your daughter is happy, that first big move is always hard.

But, as a resident of Columbia, I disagree with a couple of your statements. The folks that I have met in Columbia have been about as welcoming and warm as I have ever met. It is hard moving to a new city and the people that I have met went out of their way to help our family get adjusted. I simply can't say enough about the people in Columbia. Never have I lived in a place that is as open and welcoming to new residents. Judging by the people moving in here from all over, word must be getting out. I love having a lot of variety in Columbia. Sure residents visit nearby Charlotte for items that aren't available anywhere in South Carolina, SouthPark is awesome. Same can be said for Charleston. Trust me, there is a ton to do in Columbia.

I do agree with the bickering on this site. I always hesitate to post much positive about Columbia because it seems to deteriorate rapidly by posters who have nothing but negative to say. I don't believe much from posters who's location reads "ghettolumbia" and don't appreciate folks from Greenville (although I have not seen him here lately, may have changed his name) trashing our city. I still don't understand why Greenville residents (and only Greenville residents) post negative comments about Columbia, it is not the intended purpose of this site. But, as you can see, there are passionate people from Columbia who love the city and respond, I think that is a good thing.

Love Blue Marlin, the fish may not be flown in each day because it is an 1.5 hour drive to the docks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or