U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 37,077 times

Advertisements

My daughter has two job offers. One is in Knoxville, TN and the other is in Columbia, SC. The Columbia job pays about 4,000 more a year and she is leaning toward it.
I've been through Knoxville and Columbia and thought Knoxville was a beautiful city and thought Columbia looked average.
We've asked several people and heard really positive comments about Knoxville, except from a couple of Nashville that like to pick on Knoxville. The comments on Columbia have for the most part negative.
I'm pushing my daughter toward Knoxville even though it pays less because that city appears to be safer for a 27 year old single woman. My main concern is her safety. I've read about a jogger in Columbia that was beaten to death by a gang just recently in a nice area of the city and that scares me.
Has anyone lived in both places and can you compare the two? Which city is safer? Where can I look to find out about crime in both? What areas in both are the safest areas?
Any comments on the two are welcomed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 PM

324 posts, read 874,476 times
I hope that you also posted this question in the Knoxville forum because you're going to get a lot of pro-Columbia responses here. My wife just recently had interviews in Knoxville and Johnson City, TN. We chose Johnson City because it fit our family better, but Knoxville is a beautiful city and I would have no problem living there. Less crime, more amenities, nicer weather, much nicer outlying areas and proximity to the Smoky Mountains for recreation. there is also no state income tax or preposterous "car tax" as South Carolina has.

We came to Columbia a few years ago, and while we liked it at first, the city has really worn us down (having our house broken into last winter didn't help). My wife actually turned down a higher-paying job offer here in Columbia so we could move to Tennessee, for what it's worth.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM

9,475 posts, read 13,172,877 times
Are the jobs the same? If so, it's interesting Columbia would pay that much more. As far as the look and feel of each city, they are so different it doesn't make sense to compare them. Both cities are nice. I'd let her decide and not give any input. The beating didn't result in death and the hoodlums were caught. There are cameras all over the place now and we're not having those problems at this time. Everywhere has crime.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM

11 posts, read 37,077 times
Thank you both for your information and thank you to those who sent me private messages about Columbia as they were VERY enlightening. In reading through this and other forums today, I'm finding a good deal of posts about shootings, muggings, gang violence, etc. Apparently someone was shot recently at a restaurant? Lagoon7, I'm sorry to hear about your house breakin. What area of the city did/do you live in? What areas are safe? Columbiadata, thank you for the information about cameras. Does the city have call boxes? My daughter is a jogger.
In comparison to Knoxville, I'm sensing Columbia's crime may be higher and more of an issue. Has anyone lived in both?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 PM

9,475 posts, read 13,172,877 times
Except for the rash of random violence that occurred in Five Points, such crimes are generally confined to neighborhoods I don't suspect your daughter would be hanging out in. Out of 129,000+ residents, there were 15 murders in the city in 2010 and 10 in 2011. For comparison's sake I just saw the other day that out of 600,000 residents in Washington, D.C., there were well over 100 murders in that city in 2011. As in Columbia, the vast majority of such crimes in D.C. occur in low-income neighborhoods, and domestic violence or drugs usually precipitate the crimes. Columbia isn't in the top 25 cities for crime. I'm sure Knoxville isn't either. Be careful of whose advice you accept in private messages. There are people who for whatever reason seem to have vendettas against certain cities.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,057 times
I don't think of Columbia as unsafe. It's a smallish town, really. One should be careful in the 5 points (college) area after dark however. One good thing about Cola- it's 2 hours to the beach and 2 hours to the mountains- relatively close to cool cities (Charleston, Asheville, Charlotte, Atlanta).

Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,732,101 times
Lived in Knoxville for a while and loved it. Beautiful mountains just minutes away and nice change of seasons. No state income tax coming out of your paycheck was great and only federal to file at tax time. You will pay a higher sales tax but no ridiculus (hundreds of dollars)property tax every year on your car like you pay in SC. Knox county had a small wheel fee when I lived there like $40.00. I live in Greenville SC now which is very similar to knoxville but Greenville the the nicer downtown. Greenville and Knoxville much nicer in my opinion compared to Columbia. Columbia to spread out and HOT HOT HOT in the summer. West Knoxville and Farragut areas seemed to be nice safe place to live.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM

6,528 posts, read 13,703,832 times
Columbia has a much more diverse population than does Knoxville and it is also the state capital. Both metro areas are approximately the same size. Columbia has the rivers, Lake Murray and Congaree National Park and Knoxville has the mountains. I think your daughter should visit both cities to see which one is a good fit for her.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,732,101 times
As far as crime I never felt unsafe in Knoxville. I am a male. Crime occurs in every city so you have to stay on alert and be proactive whether jogging, at the gas pumps wherever. Be aware of and watch your surroundings at all times is the best advice I think anyone can follow.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 AM

1,136 posts, read 2,088,528 times
I was raised in Columbia and visit Knoxville, TN often (vacation in Pigeon Forge, go to Knoxville for fun sometimes)....They both feel the same exact size (University of Tennessee, downtown areas) etc. Knoxville does have better scenery (the mountains)..Columbia just has a more diverse population....I would tell your daughter to spend time in both cities and make the decision herself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or