U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,572 times
Default Thinking of moving in....

Hi! I'm thinking of moving to Columbia. Looking for a place to raise a family of 4. Our price range is about $220,000 for a home. Oh, and we hate crime. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM

117 posts, read 56,206 times
Coral.....hope I can help out. Our family moved to Columbia about 5 years ago from the northwest. Being from a large city, we were a little cautious about the south and South Carolina in particular. We were worried about schools, the culture and how the state has a reputation for being too conservative and not accepting. To combat that, we studied many sites about schools, crime, activities and other city attributes. What we found was something great.

According to many of the sites such as neighborhoodscout, city data, FBI etc....crime in Columbia is average. But, recently, the mayor updated the city on the latest trends. Assaults, murders, robberies were all down by huge margins in 2011. Seems like crime is on a downward trend. Besides, like a major metro, it also depends on where you live. We chose to live in Shandon but, there are many areas of Columbia & Lexington which are great safe areas to raise a family. NorthEast Columbia is growing rapidly, Irmo is a nice place and Lexington provides good schools.

As for schools, you will not have a hard time finding a good school in the area. Many of the area schools are considered best in state. I know school standings are very subjective but, it is true.

As for culture, Columbia has a terrific art scene. The university provides many opportunities (at a reasonable cost) to see performances that are great for the family. Events centered around the art museum, and the state children's museum keep the kids (and mom) happy.

Outdoor activities for a family are terrific. There are many organized athletic teams & leagues for kids of all ages. There is a greenway that hugs the river which is cool, especially around the children's museum. Would definitely recommend spending time there. Again, the unversity provides great opportunities for children's activities. Although we are not USC fans, we went to PAC 12 schools, the university is a great asset for many events & activities. The zoo is world class.

As for the very conservative state, I am not sure. I have not visited much outside of Columbia & Charleston because we travel back to the west coast some. But, the people of Columbia have been very welcoming and open. There is not a great sense of judgemental attitudes in the city. And, it seems to be catching on. I am no economist but, the city is growing rapidly and adding a great mix of white collar jobs.

Overall, I think you would love it here. I have been reading this site for a while now but, have not participated due to a lot of bickering. But, this is a great city where you can find nice housing within you budget, I think you will love it.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM

4,876 posts, read 8,115,157 times
You will have a lot of options with a $220,000 budget. With 4 kids I'm sure you'd like to be zoned for a good school, but what else is important? Walkability? Closeness to shopping, dining and nightlife? Close to museums, etc?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM

393 posts, read 1,257,420 times
Might want to look into Lexington, I live in far west Lexington, A subdivision called South Brook, homes run from mid 150,000's to around 200,000, safe neighborhood, close to interstate, 13 mins to downtown Lexington, 15 mins to most all major stores and restaurants and in the White Knoll school district

Been here about 2 years and really like the area,

Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM

226 posts, read 186,276 times
It would be helpful for you to know what part of Columbia you'll be working in before picking a spot to live. I say that because, for the time being, it's a lot easier to be picky with a house to buy than with a job to take. You wouldn't want to buy a house in Lexington and find yourself having to take a job in Blythewood, or vice-versa.

That said, if you found yourself in the northeast/Blythewood area, I don't think you'd be upset. It's mostly suburban so you don't get the crime that comes with denser population, and with a $220K budget you can buy into some of the neighborhoods that are lower end of upscale, which helps with the crime as well. You're minutes away from the shopping at Sandhills and the north Two Notch corridor, and a little over an hour away from Charlotte. I would caution you away from Irmo/Chapin though, especially if you're commuting into the city for work, unless you really enjoy the inside of your car.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM

517 posts, read 1,069,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
if you found yourself in the northeast/Blythewood area, I don't think you'd be upset. It's mostly suburban so you don't get the crime that comes with denser population, and with a $220K budget you can buy into some of the neighborhoods that are lower end of upscale, which helps with the crime as well. You're minutes away from the shopping at Sandhills and the north Two Notch corridor, and a little over an hour away from Charlotte. I would caution you away from Irmo/Chapin though, especially if you're commuting into the city for work, unless you really enjoy the inside of your car.
I agree. Lake Carolina is wonderful, and for $220k you would easily be able to find a nice, larger home. The schools are great and the neighborhood is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area