U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 PM

69 posts, read 57,822 times

Advertisements

I'm moving soon to Columbia for a job (I start February 13th) and am looking for a safe neighborhood to live in. I'm a single female and I'm not really into the bar/club scene so that's all that really matters to me (besides a decent apartment). I can spend up to $800 but would love to not go over $650 if possible. I only need a 1 bedroom or studio apartment. I'm currently looking at Parklane, Palms at Premier Park, and Greenhill Parish Crossing. Parklane has a deal that I'm leaning toward but if it's not a good place to live, I'll look elsewhere. I'm going to be working on Two Notch and would love to only be 10-20 minutes away from work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
192 posts, read 155,006 times
I would look into apartment complexes or other rentals in Pontiac, Lugoff, or Camden. Those areas are only about 20-30 minutes drive from the area where you'll be working and I would consider them much safer than where you've been looking, especially for a single female. The prices might also be lower, especially if you end up in Kershaw County.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 PM

4,946 posts, read 8,407,650 times
Where will your job be located?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM

I'll be working at the Columbia Place mall. My family is concerned for safety, which I'm not as concerned about, especially since I know safety is all about awareness for the most part-should I be worried?
NewWaveCarpetbagger Thanks! I'll extend my search to there.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 PM

I'd rather live in-town. Via 277 you can get to Columbia Place in 15 minutes from most of the downtown area. If you'd prefer to live in a complex then there are a number of complexes on and around Parklane Road.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the information. It really is a lot of help to narrow down my search. How's the traffic and crime really in Columbia? My family is in the process of trying to "scare" me into not taking the job offer in Columbia.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:22 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,677,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letscu99 View Post
Thanks for the information. It really is a lot of help to narrow down my search. How's the traffic and crime really in Columbia? My family is in the process of trying to "scare" me into not taking the job offer in Columbia.
Lets....traffic all depends on perspective, I have never seen bad traffic in Columbia. It is a very easy city to navigate. As for crime, it is a non issue. As with any city in SC or the country, there are places that you would not go and places that are safe to walk at any time of the day or night. Many many people who have moved to Columbia comment on how safe they feel.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 AM

I love coming here and reading all the things not to worry about when moving to Columbia, then to hear my family say the exact opposite. It's kind of hilarious and I internally laugh, I really just wish there was some way to make them comfortable with the city. I could have easily gotten mugged walking around Myrtle Beach at night but they just don't seem to realize crime happens everywhere, it's just not as talked about.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I love coming here and reading all the things not to worry about when moving to Columbia, then to hear my family say the exact opposite. It's kind of hilarious and I internally laugh, I really just wish there was some way to make them comfortable with the city. I could have easily gotten mugged walking around Myrtle Beach at night but they just don't seem to realize crime happens everywhere, it's just not as talked about.
I've lived in Columbia most of my life and I've never felt unsafe. We're in a city - crime happens, just like in any other city. Be smart and stay away from obviously unsafe areas and you'll be fine.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:45 PM

318 posts, read 587,151 times
Quote:
Traffic isn't too bad except for the absolute disaster that is the I26/I20 junction. Crime isn't rampant, but it's not as segregated as in other cities. Columbia has this weird checkerboard nice/ghetto thing going on. We've been here for three years and are leaving in the fall. Some people like Columbia, but it's definitely not our cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
I would look into apartment complexes or other rentals in Pontiac, Lugoff, or Camden. Those areas are only about 20-30 minutes drive from the area where you'll be working and I would consider them much safer than where you've been looking, especially for a single female. The prices might also be lower, especially if you end up in Kershaw County.
At first I thought this might be too far away, but I agree..I'd probably look that direction for a place if I was just moving to town. Also, there's probably 50,000 threads on this exact same topic, so if you do a search you'll come up with a ton of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area