U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM

60 posts, read 53,295 times
Default Is anyone else worried about this??

I came across this about a month ago, and though it posed a pretty serious threat to both NC and SC. *To be honest, I am sick of seeing beautiful areas of our country destroyed by corporations that exploit the labor force and natural resources, and leave a path of destruction in their wake.

So here's the deal...drilling is currently underway in the Carolina slate belt looking for micron gold. *There happens to be A LOT in this area, approx 3.1 million ounces in this particular area to be exact. *Permits to commence mining are currently in permitting. *The important thing here is the method used to extract micron gold from the ores that are pulled out of the ground. *They are crushed, and put into a holding pond. *The pond is then filled with a cyanide solutions, which disolves gold and other heavy metals. *The solution is then drained from the pond, another chemical is added that causes the metals to revert to solid state, and now you have your gold! *As you can imagine, this is a highly toxic method of mining. *It has been used in numerous areas, with numerous spills and dam breaks, and has had some serious environmental effects.

The links below explain what, where, and how quite a bit better. I would imagine this would be of interest to not only the constituents of this area, but to any one who enjoys exploring all of the wonderful places in this country.

Area Research Information and Maps
Strongbow Exploration Inc. - Midway - Mon Jan 30, 2012

Err...fool me once, fool me twice!!!
NPL Site Narrative for Brewer Gold Mine | National Priorities List (NPL) | US EPA

Others getting involved
Gold mining: a threat to clean water in South Carolina?

Other disasters with cyanide leaching
THE MINE - Mining in America

Brief explanation of cyanide leaching
Environmental Effects of Mining Gold | eHow.com

Interesting diagram of process
Cyanide spills — No New Coal

Relatively in depth info on effects on birds, as well as other good info
Chapter 46 - Cyanide - Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases

These are just a few links I came across in a quick google search. I'm sure there are far superior sites, but these should get you a good grasp of what's going on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Default No comments?

Lots of you guys looking, but no one commenting...what gives?

I guess I should have added that this type of mining has already been done in this area about 20 years ago. During that period there was a major pond failure which dumped into the Lynches river, and resulted in a major fish kill on 49 MILES of the river. The EPA had to step in in 1999 to take over mitigation operations, and is still to this day treating ground water to remove cyanide, chromium, cobalt, nickel, selenium, and other heavy metals including copper and mercury.

I guess I just think it's crazy to have had such environmental effects already, and to allow it to happen all over again...only this time on a far grander scale.

Last edited by Flborn_halfback; 01-31-2012 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM

4,872 posts, read 8,087,527 times
It's old news.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Default Which part?

Which part is old news, the last time they did this or that it's about to happen again?

And what's the general consensus of the public?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM

22 posts, read 19,614 times
We are in the US. All that matters is $$$$$ The world we leave for our children's children? Who cares?
Just read the environmental and energy policies of the current primary elec. candidates. Scary but again who cares? 1% maybe?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
We are in the US. All that matters is $$$$$ The world we leave for our children's children? Who cares?
Just read the environmental and energy policies of the current primary elec. candidates. Scary but again who cares? 1% maybe?
True, true, and...true!

I'm an outdoorsman and an avid fisherman, and I would be HOT if this were happening in my backyard. Hell, I'm concerned and I don't even live in the state! I searched the threads before I posted this, and didn't see anyone talking about it. To be honest, I'm surprised that there has been NO response to this other than that it's old news.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 PM

4,872 posts, read 8,087,527 times
I certainly care about the environment, but this was a big issue a number of years ago when a couple of mines opened. There was a big effort to keep them out, but let's face it - South Carolina's legislature is in the back pocket of business - to hell with the people.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Default Legislation

Legislation is the problem, and the solution IMO. In reality, businesses have lobbyists, and the lobbyists have politicians ears. With the amounts of money that some of these corporations are able to throw around, if they want it they can pretty much get it. On the flip side of the token, it is realitively easy for the lobbyists to get little statutes and regulations added to bigger unrelated bills and passed through unnoticed. These things can include things like additional bonding, licensing, permitting, or site conditions that make it more costly to operate, and hence limit entrance. You may not be able to stop them completely, but you CAN make it much harder for them to operate and force them to implement site conditions that will drastically reduce the risk of accidental contamination. Left unchecked, IMO they will undoubtedly run hard and loose, and as profitably as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area